- 1. Work Smarter, Not Harder Creating a Job Search Strategy in a
- Usman Chaudry, Volt Workforce Solutions
Presentation for APICS MM.DD.2008 | 2008 Volt Information
Sciences, Inc. All rights reserved. Proprietary & Confidential.
- Creating a Job Search Strategy:
- Building a virtual presence
3. Building a Resume
4. Made, Saved, and Achieveds
- Products/Services youve created,
Quantifiable 5. MSA Example
- What have youmade ,saved , orachievedfor your employers?
- Give quantifiable results
- Iprovided technical support to 300 employeeswith computer
difficulties locally and remotely using Altiris Remote
- resultingin areduced response timefrom 3 hours to 2 hours.
- and Ireduced number of service tickets 30%from 100 to 70 in my
6. Building a Virtual Presence
- Prepare profile carefully
7. Building a Virtual Presence
- Create On-line Profiles on Social Media Sites
8. Finding Opportunities
- What is the most effective method?
- Submit to jobs on job boards?
9. Finding Opportunities
- Applying tojob ads and postings
- thatsNOT ENOUGHin todays economy.
10. Finding Opportunities
- Apply directly to company websites
- Apply directly using Job Aggregators
11. Job Search Strategy
- Take a comprehensive approach
- Update your resume with MSAs... Very important!!!!
- Add keywords to be searchable
- Post to the major job boards..i.e Monster, Workopolis,
- Apply directly to target companies
- Friends (Friends of friends/family)
- Colleagues, Managers(Past and present)
12. Job Search Strategy
- Tweak your resume for each job.
- Include your resume and cover letter in the body
- Attach resume and cover letter soft copy
- Create a follow-up spreadsheet to track applications
- Follow up with applications on a weekly basis.
13. Interviewing for Success 14. Interviewing for Success
- What can you contribute? (MSAs)
- What personal characteristics make you successful?
- Why do you want the position?
15. Interviewing for Success
- Treat everyone with respect
- Be positive and make it a conversation
16. Practice, Practice, Practice
TOINTERVIEW 17. Follow Up
- Thank everyone you spoke to
18. In Review
- Creating a Job Search Strategy In a Tough Economy
- Working Smarter not Harder
- Perfecting your resume and cover letter each time
- Building a virtual presence and networking
- Finding opportunities use a comprehensive, proactive
- Prepare and practice for interviewing
19. Questions 20. Thank you