2. OVERVIEWIntroductions: Courtney Radbourne, BMT, MTAWhat is Music Therapy?Becoming an Accredited Music TherapistWhat do Music Therapists Do?Where do Music Therapists Work?Benefits of Music Therapy in: Mental Health,Geriatrics, Stroke Victims, and with ChildrenMusic Therapy TechniquesMusic Therapy Session Example: Song Writing FocusSummary and QuestionsResourcesThank You!
3. INTRODUCTIONSCourtney Radbourne, BMT, MTAFrom: originally from Stittsville, currently residing inKanataEducation: Attended Acadia University 4 year Bachelor ofMusic Therapy DegreeDegree Focus: Intensive course load that concentrated onboth music, psychology, and clinical experienceCompleted 1000 hour Music Therapy Internship- June 2007with the Music Therapists of Lanark Area- private practiceAchieved MTA (Music Therapist Accredited) Status in March2009Started her own private practice this year The HealingSong
4. WHAT IS MUSIC THERAPY?Music therapy is a medium for change. Ithelps the client re-connect with themselvesand forms a healing relationship with themusic therapist. This relationship is createdand enhanced through the use of music andmusical elements. It takes ones mental,emotional, physical, and spiritual health intoaccount. Goals and Objectives are created anddesigned to concentrate on each personsneeds and developmental area of focus.
5. BECOMING AN ACCREDIDTED MUSIC THERAPIST To become an accredited music therapist inCanada by the Canadian Association for MusicTherapy, requires a four year Bachelor ofMusic Therapy degree, or 2 year CertificateProgram degree from a recognized institutionof study. A 1000 hour internship must be completedupon graduating from an institution. The endresult of the internship is peer review of oneswork before accreditation is granted
6. WHAT DO MUSIC THERAPISTS DO? Within clinical planning, music therapistsassess, evaluate, research to implement avariety of activities that involve that are basedon needs of the client(s): receptive musiclistening, lyric discussion, imagery and music,rhythmic movement, music performance,song writing and composition, singing andinstrument playing, as well asvocal/instrumental improvisation. Skillful purpose
7. WHERE DO MUSIC THERAPISTS WORK? Medical and Psychiatric Hospitals Rehabilitative Facilities Out patients clinics Day Care Centres Agencies serving developmentally disabled persons Community mental health centres Drug and Alcohol Programs Long Term Care Facilities Correctional Facilities Halfway Houses Schools Hospice Programs PrivatelyMusic Therapy has the adaptive ability to work with all ages, physical andcognitive abilities, there is no musical training required.
8. BENEFITS OF MUSIC THERAPY INMENTAL HEALTH Can be used in a wide range of treatment programs due to itsflexibility Increases concentration Increases relaxation Increases socialization and awareness of others Creates a diversion from neurotic concerns or obsessions Music can evoke thoughts and feelings that allow us to become moreaware and connected to ourselves and our environment It can help to test ones perceptions in supportive environment Problem solving skills develop Creates an uplifting mood experience It can increase motivation to cope with life situations Appropriate and successful involvement in a group activity Offers structure Appropriate use of leisure time Group/one-to-one session settings
9. BENEFITS OF MUSIC THERAPY IN GERATRICSWorks both sides of the brainImproves memory and concentrationMaintains and restores cognitive functionMaintains and restores Gross and Fine Motor functionOrients in the here and nowIncreases socializationOffers choiceIncreases self-esteemAids in communication and self-expression both verballyand non-verballyCreates opportunities for leadership roles and turn takingCreates an awareness of the self and othersIncreases physical fitnessOne-to-one and group session settings
10. BENEFITS OF MUSIC THERAPY WITH STROKEVICTIMSRe-store and maintain communication abilitiesboth verbally and non-verballyAids in gate and motor ability trainingWorks both sides of the brainAids in speech developmentOffers choice and normalityMotivates through positive experienceOutlet for self-expressionPromotes relaxationIncreases socializationOne-to-one and group session settingsOffers choice
11. BENEFITS OF MUSIC THERAPY WITH CHILDREN Behaviour modification Orient in the here and now, weather conditions Is able to aid in speech development Increases communication skills Increases self-esteem Develops fine and gross motor abilities Opportunity to learn an instrument Opportunity for leadership roles and turn taking when in a groupsetting Can assist children in learning how to brush their teeth, how tocover their mouths when coughing, and what foods they shouldeat through directive songs. Increases physical fitness Provides an outlet for creativity Increases self-expression and communication both verbally andnon verbally Offers choice
12. MUSIC THERAPY TECHNIQUESMusic ListeningLyric DiscussionRelaxation TechniquesSong WritingImprovisationSinging and Playing InstrumentsRecordingMusic and Movement
13. MUSIC THERAPY SESSION EXAMPLE Hello SongSong Writing:Shell Be Comin Around the Mountain- (addinglyrics/improvising)Appropriate for Geriatrics, Stroke Victims, andChildrenSong written from a familiar melody- GardenStreet Site melody of House of the Rising SunAppropriate for Mental Health and Stroke VictimsGood-bye Song
14. Garden Street Site Explain the process Am C D F, Am C E7 x2 There is a place in Brockville, they call the Garden Street Site, And itsbeen the saviour of many a poor soul dear God I know I am one Now I am just a poor girl, I have an unfortunate tale I used to have myfreedom, down in old Brockville I had a house and job and a car, I could travel down the road, myfreedom was so wonderful, I could even scratch my nose My life has been a slippery slope, I fell so very fast, one day I wasfeeding myself the next I was being fed Those around me dont get me here, as I lay in this hospital bed, Imdesperate to find my way out of here but it rests in Gods hands
15. SUMMARYMusic Therapy does not require any previousmusical trainingIt is flexible and adaptable to all ages, abilities,and backgrounds-music touches us allIt offers choice to those participating in sessionsThere is skilful purposeMusic Therapy can occur in a variety of settingsOne-to-one and group session settings areofferedIt enhances the quality of lifeIt brings about a positive change in peopleAre there any questions or comments?
16. Our views have increased the mark of the52,000.This platform has been started bbyy PPaarrvveeeenn KKuummaarr CChhaaddhhaa wwiitthhtthhee vviissiioonn tthhaatt nnoobbooddyy sshhoouulldd ssuuffffeerr tthhee wwaayy hhee hhaass ssuuffffeerreeddbbeeccaauussee ooff llaacckk aanndd iimmpprrooppeerr hheeaalltthhccaarree ffaacciilliittiieess iinn IInnddiiaa.. WWeenneeeedd lloottss ooff ffuunnddss mmaannppoowweerr eettcc.. ttoo mmaakkee tthhiiss vviissiioonn aa rreeaalliittyypplleeaassee ccoonnttaacctt uuss.. JJooiinn uuss aass aa mmeemmbbeerr ffoorr aa nnoobbllee ccaauussee..
17. Our views have increasedthe mark of the 47,000Thank you viewers.Looking for ward for franchise, collaboration,partners.