Top Banner

Click here to load reader

Tax tips for Australian students

Aug 17, 2014


Lodging a tax return can often be a daunting process for students… But it doesn't have to be!

As a student, It really does ‘pay’ to understand your tax obligations, so CPA Australia have created an essential guide to help students, and their parents navigate the process.
Save yourself from stress this end of financial year and learn these ‘top tax tips’ from CPA Australia.

*Note: These tax tips are for students who are Australian residents for tax purposes for the year ending June 30, 2014.

  • *For students who are Australian residents for tax purposes
  • Lodging a tax return can seem daunting for students. And for parents, helping to navigate, these uncertain waters can be challenging But it doesnt have to be
  • Save yourself from stress this end of financial year
  • 1. Obtain your refund for tax withheld
  • The only way you can get back the income tax that has been withheld is to lodge a tax return. Tax can be withheld from your pay, and any interest income you earned during this financial year if you have NOT provided your tax file number (TFN).
  • 2. Identify ALL your sources of assessable income!
  • Distributions from a family trust or partnership. Government payments received such as Austudy & youth allowance, including any grants or awards.
  • 3. Consider the special rules for those under 18.
  • Know yours? 4. KNOW your deductions! Yep!
  • You may be able to claim deductions for some expenses related to the income you received. But remember you must have the necessary receipts or credit card statements.
  • 5. Claim the RIGHT tax offsets! If you receive Austudy, ABSTUDY, Newstart Allowance, youth allowance or other government education payments, you may be eligible for a beneficiary offset. This ensures you wont pay tax on those payments.
  • If your study is directly related to maintaining or improving your skills in your current job, you can claim self education expenses! These include: Course books Text books Stationery Student union fees Depreciation of assets like computers & printers 6. Identify self education expenses!
  • 7. Understand your HELP DEBT
  • If you have a HELP Debt Dont fret! Repayments only commence once you earn over $51,308! (for year ending June 30, 2014.) The specificamount required to be repaid will depend on many factors includingyour taxableincome.
  • 8. Know if you are a resident for tax purposes
  • If you are an overseas student studying at an Australian education institute for six months or more, you WILL be regarded as an Australian resident for tax purposes. That means you will pay the same tax rate as other residents and have access to the tax free threshold. You are only entitled to a pro rata tax- free threshold if you are only an Australian resident for part of the year.