Science Fair Overview
Jan 12, 2015
Timeline, topics to be included on your final project, info. about science fair project page, etc.
- 1. Introduction, Requirements,& Timeline Presentation Created By: Ms. Paula Trapani-Wiener, LRMS Librarian Science Fair
2. Who will participate?
- ALL 6 th , 7 th , and 8 thgrade students at LR
3. When will it be held?
- Only a few short months away!
4. Sound scary?
- Try not to get overwhelmed.
- Follow the timelinedont fall behind!
- Use a variety of resources
- books, websites, teachers, librarians
5. Whats due? see your science fair packet for exact due dates
6. How do I begin?
- Choose a topic that interests you
- Narrow it down/ make it specific
- Develop an idea for an actual project
7. A Few Off-Limit Topics
- Model of the solar system
8. Sample Topics
9. Narrowed-down topics
10. Sample project titles
- People:Does eating nutritious food make you more successful in school?
- Animals:Does the length of an animal training session make a difference?
- Plants:Will soil conditions affect the rate
- of growth of a bean plant?
- Rocks:Which factors change the rate of erosion of rocks?
- Electricity:Can vegetables conduct electricity?
- Friction:Does surface affect speed?
11. Where can I get some project ideas?
- Websites posted on Science Fair Project Page
- Both the LR Library and our public libraries have plenty of books describing various projects
13. Online Resource
- Go to the Science Fair Project Page for links to websites and online databases to help you choose a project and gather background info. on the topic.
- Click Library from our homepage, click Class Project Pages, click Science Fair, and scroll to the bottom for online resources.
14. 15. 16. 17. 18. So, youve picked a topic.Next
- Get your topic approved by your teacher.
- Begin preliminary research
- Use books, encyclopedias, and websites to gather background information
- Use note cards or notetaking sheets
- Cite your sources using proper bibliography format
- See Ms. Ts Bibliography Cheat Sheet on LR Library website under Research Tips
- Begin your project or experiment using the Scientific Method
- Youll learn more about this in Science class.
22. Finallyyoull be ready to prepare your display boards!
- Include illustrations, digital photos, charts, graphs, etc. AND typed up summaries in the following areas:
24. Example of a BADDisplay 25. Example of a GOODDisplay 26. Final Note
- One of the 8 headings for your display board is Abstract.
27. What IS an Abstract?
- It is a brief summary of your entire project.
28. The Abstract Includes:
- Brief description of the procedure
29. GOOD LUCK!
30. PresentationCreated By: Paula Trapani-Wiener Librarian Lawrence Road Middle School