Top Banner
, ;VQIi.XtS:. NO. 147- t5 CENTS. TWIN PALLS, IDAHO,. FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 25, 193G -J^anese Arr^st^- Ghiriese Triq^ iii SKariglim Killing Tension Gains Although ^ Marines Lessen Gbntrol n ' By jouN n. Bioimis SIIANGII'Ar, Sept. 25 (UP)—A Jnpaneso naval patrol today nrrcstcd threo. Cliiiiese suspcctcd o£ assaasiiiatiug' ABamitsul Tnmiuato, Japancso sailor, whoao murder caused tlie .Japancscl lo'take over control o£ pnrt.of Slianglmi. Tlio Ohincso turned over to iiitcrnntionni Kcltltmcnt authorities.. No definite eliarBCs wcrei made. Presumably they _tiivncil over to tlio , inlcr- iintional pdlicc becauso'~tTi6 assassination occurred in tlio iiilcruationnl ’Bottlcmeiit wLcrc Clilueso courU Lavo no juris- dictiou., Tcnalon ’Jncrcaeed In all ShanW bal oltliough the area patrallcd by - Japancs* mal’lnes was (luccd, Japanese- scboola ....... cloacd aa a reault .of the hard leellns between Japoacso and Cbl- n e» resultlna: from the murder . adU' tlio Kubsoqucnt laadlng of Japanese troops, - '••Warine« Eir'Ronte - • - - It was revealed Uiat two Jap- anese 'destroyers /ram Hankon. are esLroute to Sbasghal brInK- I. There aro more than 8,000 marlaes bero ... , It waa ossutned tbat tbo marines were a portion ot the group aent to Hankow several day---------------- • there accmed a pdaslbll l)lo there. The r t f ' lacked official confl.. Kormally Japan malntalna la Chinese waters one cruiser, six de- stroyers and 12 gunboats. It la known that this cquadran ba; been reinforced, hut detalli have been kept Bccret. ■■ The Japanese-navy U ___ .. dueiogiaanfluversiiod heneecould (OonUnued on P a ^ 2, Column 1)' Leaders Doblaroj Outbre^ May Turn Into • National Tionp , - ByEOGEBJOnNSON SAN.ITRANCrSCO, Sept.'25 COB —Leader* o t '^ th e Intereatloaal Lonj*haremea'a , aasoclation 'aald today that they fear,' tn ibc (Uys. , the outbreak ot a waUrfront-labor . war rivaling ,the one that caused the 8aa Frandw striko o« 1034. Harry Bridges. presUent of the Paeltlo coast division, of the long- ahoremen and^.'of the UarlUmo Federation of. the PaeUlo. coast, said the dlsturijanca might beoomc ■; . natlonaLr;^.'...- . -T he uolbn-'execuUve Mmmlttce meets .tomoiTOW; to “m^orplaaa for the-lMlcout-.tho employers — :sta«laff'Oct.l.'’': - ' - Iavolve*JWvllegti:.'-;.'' . On that day, tha.,wmlr«ta that ' ended.tlio.l934,stri!q» expire; Sm- p!oycw,ha%-e prop(i«d a.t«Bpor- - . Bty-working, arrangement to be In effect .untll-a d,?w lonff-torai-con' V. tract can -b'o negoUated but 'lt In-, volvea reaundnUoh'by 'tbo dbcki - . workers'of'aoine of-the-^-Ucffes; ..dea^t to;tb«m. -.The unionUr.-wtUlng to work' . , dor the ISM-.costrapt uatll a'.i V„;'one fa cog(it!aU^-:,;;:r'.,'• ' the ompi^eMr^^xBs t^ t they. pennltt6il'to-lilr*..wotker« ( •vtbat-vrouU'BJoan a..boyeotl-;o< . untou.'roftrnbw. ' *“ ... __ _ ______ laent .j^^t:to;laleiVenB baorsV.the, _^^_.,Mt.Mntr<ct-^p^;^ ^"^DPHikerton Agency , ^ Under Senate Fire TCSBldN0TOM/;Srtt 25.(OB— ;;S^SI8 'Roosevelt Hopes . ToOPut F^ar West Oh Speech Jauut By FOCOEISICK A. STORU HTDE PAItK. N. -Y.. Sept. 25 OIPJ—President Roosevelt sUU hoped to Include . th e . Faclflo coast In .h b campaign tour next month, ho Indicated today at the'summer Whlto House In a discussion of hia Itinerary. . ' Last ’ night after a con^err ejiee with- Democmtle cam-, palgn strategists Mr. Rokaevelt Indicated'his re-election cam- paign as outlined thus far would not Uko him farther west than Denver and would be eonccnLrated in the Indua- trial cast. . Plans TeatoUve However, plans for alt trips, he said-today, aro UotaUve and aubject to cancellation on "three minutes' notice." His trips will b« a series of comparatively short excursions Into key points ao (imaged as to permit him to return to Washington . without long - de- lays; Hff'was'Itaown to plan keeping within cosy striking dUlasce 'lMcause c l the admit- tedly serious foreign altuallon. . While a achedulo beyond Oct 2’. still remains to^be iforked out It was clearly indicated that tha Etealdent jlanned to speak 1(1; jjeav«i‘;-''OlBHlttr',Chlcago,' ~Kew:^gland. Detitjlt and New . .tbrk'.wiUi hppearanccs abo In •nochcster, N. Y., ’Albany and posal% Buffalo, ClnclmtaU and Clavelaad. “RIDES" DLLR i iVCDlMrOB,/itU., lAPWie [idalio Leaden Thm U u Appeal ' for W rit aa'Q lm d Denies ViM on BaUot no'court-against « Franklin Glr-I Union calidl-l tj the'Novemberi a rt becaiisBho di datas-a-placo ( ballot- . .- I Girard rcfused.-lo'accep't eertUi-l cates of nomination because.‘.‘the Union-party failed to comply. *1011 rwulrementa of the atate eleetlonl laws.ln.neglecUnB to file cahdl-, dates hot less than 40 days prior 1 the general, clectloa." M. U a ; sup. Idaho campaign .janajer. .fof.:.Wailam'.. Lemto, Unloa-party , candidate for :P»ai" Coufei-WlUt _________ , ?^5iey.'«>htoaiLthi(y hai'-'un'tU'-.B p.-'.:nt-to::P------------ p.-.in; W 4<Ina*Q ay..-. 'a lc a r d . •.■denle(J.:;-lW. r,jiathtar-Jrt«ul J t? i :/: ..._ jtra cited a piwlous^auprerrte c6Urt.'raiw-aaa»aH:.v»-: Glffort^ OFPICrA'L COUNTY NEWSPAPEtt^ffl Havana Echo Of Spanish War BMK TO LEAGUE ! Anthony Edon Urges Covenant Be Divorced from Treaty Hated by Nazis, in llavaaa was turned Into the shambles pictured by tbo explosion of IBOO pounds of. dynamite left In a trucic In the adJolnlnK street PINTS EEVIBION SUPPORT ^Offers Olivo Branch to Hitler By Suggesting Inquiry on Eaw Materials By WALLACE CARKOLL Q£aiBVA,-3«pt. 25 (UEl-For- ..gn MlnUrter Anthony-'Eden of [Great Britain today began paving Ithe yyay_JoT 'Germany's jclura to the League ofNotloni. . Germany long . has demanded that the league covenant be »ep-, arnted entirely from the neaco treaUes, ... .. ' lUnU Treaty Revision e younjc British statesman impllea his'support of re- vUlng tho whole Versailles treaty. Landori Tkkes Trade Battle to Wisconsin RAPS RECIPROCAL TREATIES i N^'Telling farm FR0GR.\]M By JOE ALEX MOimiS jnNNEAPOLlS. Ulnn., SepL 25 (UPI—Golf AU M. Landon ..Is atUek on the New Deal's reciprocal trade policy Into Progrcsslve-l dominated Wisconsin today, on a two-day drive to be climaxed Satur- day night byan address at Ullwaukeo on social security. -Bttslnjr his ariv'c for o u p ^ rt o_t[ 2. A demand for protection, of j tho farmers' domeatls market and! ' end to tho'admlnlslratioiis'. I'o f .DCSPtiatlng reciprocal ___ lenta. which ‘Governor .Lan- don charged luid "sold the farmer down tho river." - ■ ' .'Ulanwota Welcome Wnneaptft.,-where - tSe .farmer- laBtfi" naPTWggnl -i^as'beeii' Bst, gave th i Kansas, rovcroor •- tbuaaJtln.';rol«»i»..« ;*«« p form api«teu>ce9,«n mito- tp^ _ __jjji whij _________ ddiver^ a tt^ .o a tho;ftdmla- IstraOOB tai penSTtah® ,"»c«nflri- ous". Imports of tortlgn farm ppxl- ucti 'to, eompetltloa.-wl,th -the domestic .prodBcers.; te ^ M i who confer* rj^^nexp^u-l I(Continued o n 1 > ^ 3, Column 0) the dairy and Uvestock-------- .. — a demand, for “protection of the Amerlcan'market for the Ameri- can farmer." the Hepubllcan presi- dential nominee completed presen- tatloa of his farm program' a t'a discussion Of trade agreemer'- apaclty audience of a t the' MlnneapoUs c lj^ auditorium Us(.Dlgbti. O. P . r a n a A p ^ . . , The l^pubUcan a p p ^ to agrit culture.,^as presented Jn the. I?«a Moines and Ulnneapolis speeches, tacluded: . . , 1. An appeal, for a frea, odepcndent.'agricultun. based on ire»ervatioa-.-ef',the famlly-typo srm 'as optiosed to '“pumanpot managwneot from Wiibtngton.” contlMmUoa of-relief^ttmck* for farmers, and a cash lysst&t sys- 'sned to provide isx\" ' 't for agriculture.' .Oddities ' SHMIE''.", - BALT'l AKB OTY. Sept. 25- (00 — A Judge Who aomanded. that Justice'be'paia,;'t30t-.T»h0: understood yearning hearts.' agreed that, Kuth ..Pel------ -,coukl 'share, ter.,-.flnnee'i day'Jall aentence bo their , . dlng .plaaa.would.zwt be iipset BIchard .Saley was given the sentence- for -drunkeh; drlvlng.- MlKs'.- p e lei« n ^ ."begged • the! Judjo to permit her'to, aerv*' 'seven and a-h'aU -dayi. •Sha'ji pounding a. typowTlteri flaley's,. sciiivEi ppiEO jpropi^ to I Bo Lannbhed^by'8^0 of- , - f i V ^ u i ’Bo.oto A' scrip-VelUnj plan to . encMtt age :the.growth, ot. the .C aplUl^ Unea between Boise. Nainria, Twin was anndunoed^ati todays,'.lunci^ eori' ineeUng of. the-T?rtn ..'B'AIH; C h a r ^ r .o f Commcrce.'-VT-' ,-,-'KANSAS,-;.OItr.-.M6;.-,:Bflpt, :H .ttUoeMrs.' H .,0. ; ,ed OB her wardleader when ahs' -drop^tft:wrI?t,'watch;Jal6,-a/ .awtr.-catdi'taBln,' rOiD Jehder^ - .jsCmember of-the^clt;^* Bowttw-. i-’jYui De»oieartltfiaaoWDo./ot»llg-, '‘•ed the,-..ten'stltUent."-.with' aevr■ ' , ,‘t i d ' sliis'et VdepartwW-.trtcIuK. -■■-M^ en/-Tte.»atchwaa.'»yewv; AsfacraK Mebei^ LoyaUst^^rmies^ "Human, life Is. not staUc, but Eden offered stUl another ollvei branch to Germany, which has In- sisted that it-must have-cotonlea in order to obtain raw material. Great Britain, he said,,Troutd ipport an "Impartial expert In- jin under the auspices of tho league" with the Idea of assuring all nations access to' the supplies Cnature. These remarki followed a plea . )r European nations to forget their Schisms over forms ot gov- Icmmont • ouch . as Fascism and ~'«mniunlsm and to unite in pre- onting war. ; . . - Isunenta Arms.Uac* Ho lamented tho race Ir laments, saylsg: "Great Britain regrets huf^ IS for a hi it-until.tho nations ofl the world-reach an lnUmaUonaI| agreement for tho limitation andi reduction of armaments.". . ' Foreign Minister Julio Alvercz jdet Vayo of'Spala charged that] I(Continue on l ^ e 2, Column 8) ipampilffn ia ’tJontrty' Underway ik Fair awii - In rUer l^nJght-: ______ 'pat*lu6li;d ...... _.7BW8p,,m:ia'f peoer^ ,rt^^^ieTS Move Nearer Vital Test% tiotding Fate of Madrid Bloody Drive'Ready To Start at BiJ|>ac| Effect of Deliberate Floodr M ay Be. SlightC ‘Admits’ Staying »}• MICIIAEL -McEW-E}/ ,__ _____ _ ------ r-— -1 QlBUAL'l'AK, Sept. 25 (UP.)— SjyiuisU -tcVd and ^oyaUa^.Vl larmic.s iiinneuvDrcd to^lny for t!ic initiative in. the Mnque^a^,-,' Toledo nrca oti u-liich tlio fnto of Toledo'ni.i........................... ' life of tliclcrt wiiip Bovcrnmcnt, (Icpendfl. , _. On tho nortlicrn front,' a bloody nir aiid.lnnd attack by rcbeUv; appe.ircd ready lo'Hlnrt immcdinlcly at Bilbao. . • ■-’‘H i ' Aun'yaia o£ comiauuiqwca aud claims of both.eWts vital push for Toledo and Madrid put tho fightiiis lines ibdnfc' rj ^ ' '10 miles west of Toledo on thpt'^c Donald J. Raxen, lnmat» of the state hospital for tho'ln- '•ane,••Patton, CiiUf;''liis —=~ nirenlde ,Y> W. C A. seore- tary^.n’ho xras fbond bCaten to deatb In a oo^-» a t Lb ^oUa. PoUoe aro still uncertain wheth- er the ."eonlesslon" solvca the' tnerely a figment of aglnatlos. na'ioU'o ^ g ln a tlc MERY .CHARGE |Indlctmonl' of Deputy • Sheriff Tor Kegro Pconogo Will Be ' Focna of Battlo UCTta:AdOTi,'Ark., Sept.” I. ' rtoWindlctmebV tf i deputy sher* Itf.an.charges'of I»ldIog Kegms fn'jilavoiy promlied to d ^ .to bi^, t^m'lf'l^'»MtylDg point'of o r ^ r KitlWui o<,-U&e and.Ub^mts seek-, to® to prov».&pa«e;ttd alavjaV: .................... ‘^^^B,oottoa:h#lti A:Attotpsy ~ oi“ t 5 ^ 'W . Arkansa*. early aaxttnek.to.remtm« a fed»ral In* »«Uatlon ^ Arkansas labor con- lieSma.'. »:oUk(rv-«at«-^ ■r-ofit?}#vWPA ____ L v'taa v^ii'OBWB Into M -THE WAR PICTURE By United Prt»s Today's develDpments In tho Spanish civil war: QlBltALTAlt — nebels and loyalists maneuver for hilUative In preparation for now, great batUe for Toledo and Madrid. M A D R I D — Loyalists miles.west of Toledo, one mllo north of Uaqueda as new battle develops. Buccessjof eUort to flood UtUe aooe quesUonable. USBQX — Rebel ooureea re- . port army advancing pa Toledo wlt!i fight for dly and Alcazar near: alienee regarding Moiiuo-'" da-Uadrld highway and fk>od efforta. " BAN 8EBASTUN — Rebel ultimatum for surrender of Bil- bao expires; aiiplones ready, for -bombing aa three troop columns moraonclty., . LOYALIST .JlEAOQUAnX* KBS.'Waiioeda-IoUdo Front — iiC P lB SUpnrato 'SoiUo ThOM TTeul " &go'ia Idiiiov P e d t^ ' ' Offksfcys BOISB, Sept."29 ,{CB; Ualto .oiaiOM ara'novlatf front'(laUb a ^ packing plants at tw ^ ,Uw n t« oC.k' year atn' tha U. a ' da- pe^cM « f aj;iteuUure said M ar.. ' ;:^,''niesday,-1,665 can of pbt^. ___ _ __ ____ is'4ra avert l»:ou»-twlce'u«n*t»atn' ------ — fte a.few-cars o£ Bilssi .^W,-«pi«to:;now;^, M R <1II e d n - Toledo .'road.. about ono .mile' north of, qucda on the lHaqucda road,' .VI"' LojTillsU gained on thb'ila^u^’. da-Modrld road yesterday and tij*?!;l lines, remalnd static. sppanntlr.t',J In t ^ Maqueda-Ttoledo road. •<—-'opments impeadii^ the Bay of Bi»i,:?g of rightist nitplsaes't_________ , dere to cany out Gen. EmiUa*'-; MoU's threat to bomh i t , , . Hostages LHay 1 ^ - . Rebel sources asUmatad th«'lef6.'iH Ists (loyailals)'at Bilbao and S ’ lander, farther- vest, hold' ab 3.500 . hostages In . all, many prison >shlps,-4md expxcaaed ‘ fW ? ^ that they might be executed. - The attempt of the Madrid gov^^ emment to flood the iteaue" '"■* ■ftledo fIghUnjr area by^Seas head watMs'of'tha'Atoercfis i ____ er nod Iniindatlag a R M t area malhid K Wfrtery. .* I. ---------------------U i a f . t i w a * |a£aUar“rti«~caK t a i le«TO the yr/^ydpen 'totja all the way to Talatr-' Direct :uhi(cd 'said.nuthoritiea-VOS' ' lirtJoinf Hitherto 'u ^ • O Q t C M - t h e floo<Jla attcccsf.. b«l-tho'aet^- rf 'JoyjJlst tctfojwittdlcH.. n i a poalUoB oil - b n Towo

Ghiriese Triq^ iii Move Nearer Vital Test% SKariglim ...newspaper.twinfallspubliclibrary.org/files/Twin... · , ;VQIi.XtS:. NO. 147-t5 CENTS. TWIN PALLS, IDAHO,. FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER

Sep 04, 2020

Download

Documents

dariahiddleston
Welcome message from author
This document is posted to help you gain knowledge. Please leave a comment to let me know what you think about it! Share it to your friends and learn new things together.
Transcript
Page 1: Ghiriese Triq^ iii Move Nearer Vital Test% SKariglim ...newspaper.twinfallspubliclibrary.org/files/Twin... · , ;VQIi.XtS:. NO. 147-t5 CENTS. TWIN PALLS, IDAHO,. FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER

, ;VQIi.XtS:. NO. 147-t5 CENTS. TWIN PALLS, IDAHO,. FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 25, 193G

-J ^ a n e s e Arr^st^- Ghiriese Triq^ iii SKariglim Killing

Tension Gains Although ^ Marines Lessen Gbntrol

n ' By jo u N n . B io im isSIIANGII'Ar, Sept. 25 (U P )—A Jnpaneso naval p a tro l today

nrrcstcd threo. Cliiiiese suspcctcd o£ assaasiiiatiug' ABamitsul Tnm iuato, Japancso sailor, whoao m urder caused tlie .Japancscl lo 'ta k e over control o£ p n r t .o f Slianglmi. Tlio Ohincso tu rn ed over to iiitcrnntionni Kcltltmcnt au tho ritie s ..

No defin ite eliarBCs wcreimade. Presum ably they

_tiivncil over to tlio , in lc r- iintional pdlicc becauso'~tTi6 assassination occurred in tlio iiilcruationnl ’Bottlcmeiit wLcrc Clilueso courU Lavo no juris- dictiou., •

Tcnalon ’Jncrcaeed In all ShanW bal oltliough the area patrallcd by - Japancs* mal’lnes was(luccd, Japanese- scboola .......cloacd aa a reault .of th e hard leellns between Japoacso and Cbl- n e » resultlna: from the murder

. adU' tlio Kubsoqucnt laadlng of Japanese troops,- '••W arine« Eir'Ronte - • -- I t was revealed Uiat two Jap­

anese 'destroyers /ram Hankon. are esLroute to Sbasghal brInK-

I. There aromore than 8,000 marlaes bero ... , I t waa ossutned tba t tbo marines were a portion o t the group aentto Hankow several day----------------

• there accmed a pdaslbll l)lo there. The r t f ' lacked official confl..

Kormally Japan malntalna la Chinese waters one cruiser, six de­stroyers and 12 gunboats. I t la known th a t this cquadran ba; been reinforced, hut detalli have been kept Bccret. ■■

The Japanese-navy U ___ ..dueiogiaanfluversiiod heneecould (OonUnued on P a ^ 2, Column 1)'

Leaders Doblaroj • O u tb r e ^ M ay T urn In to

• N ational Tionp , -

ByEOGEBJOnNSON SAN.ITRANCrSCO, Sept.'25 COB

—Leader* o t ' the Intereatloaal Lonj*haremea'a , aasoclation 'aald today tha t they fear,' tn ibc (Uys.

, the outbreak ot a waUrfront-labor . war rivaling , the one that caused

the 8aa F r a n d w striko o« 1034.H arry Bridges. presUent of the

Paeltlo coast division, of the long- ahoremen and^.'of the UarlUmo Federation of. the PaeUlo. coast, said the dlsturijanca might beoomc

■; . natlonaLr;^.'...- .-T h e uolbn-'execuUve Mmmlttce meets .tomoiTOW; to “m ^ orp laaa for the-lMlcout-.tho employers —

:s ta« la ff 'O c t.l. '’': - '- Iavolve*JWvllegti:.'-;.'' .

On th a t day, tha.,wmlr«ta that ' ended.tlio.l934,stri!q» expire; Sm-

p!oycw,ha%-e prop(i«d a.t«Bpor-- . Bty-working, arrangement to be In

■ effect .untll-a d,?w lonff-torai-con' V. trac t can -b'o negoUated but ' l t In-,

volvea reaundnUoh'by 'tbo dbcki- . workers'of'aoine of-the-^-Ucffes;

..d ea^ t to;tb«m.-.The unionUr.-wtUlng to work'

. , dor the ISM-.costrapt uatll a'.i V„;'one fa cog(it!aU^-:,;;:r'.,'•

' the om p i^eM r^^xB s t ^ t they. pennltt6il'to-lilr*..wotker« (

• vtbat-vrouU'B Joan a..boyeotl-;o< . untou.'roftrnbw.

” ' *“... __ _ ______ laent

.j^^t:to;laleiVenB baorsV.the, _^^_.,M t.M ntr<ct-^p^;^

^"^DPHikerton Agency , Under Senate FireTCSBldN0TOM/;Srtt 25.(OB—

; ; S ^ S I 8

'Roosevelt Hopes . ToOPut F^ar West Oh Speech Jauut

By FOCOEISICK A. STORU HTDE PAItK. N. -Y.. Sept. 25

OIPJ—President Roosevelt sUU hoped to Include . th e . Faclflo coast In .h b campaign tour next month, ho Indicated today a t the'sum mer Whlto House In a discussion of hia Itinerary. .' Last ’ night after a con^err

ejiee with- Democmtle cam-, palgn strategists Mr. Rokaevelt Indicated'his re-election cam­paign a s outlined thus far would no t Uko him farther west than Denver and would be eonccnLrated in the Indua- trial cast. .

Plans TeatoUve However, plans for alt trips,

he said-today, aro UotaUve and aubject to cancellation on "three minutes' notice."

His trips will b« a series of comparatively short excursions Into key points ao (im aged as to permit him to return to Washington . without long - de­lays; H ff'w as'Itaow n to plan keeping within cosy striking dUlasce 'lMcause c l the admit­tedly serious foreign altuallon.

. While a achedulo beyond O ct 2’. still remains to^be iforked out It w as clearly indicated tha t tha Etealdent jla n n e d to speak 1(1; jjeav«i‘;-''OlBHlttr',Chlcago,' ~Kew:^gland. Detitjlt and New

. .tbrk'.wiUi hppearanccs abo In •nochcster, N. Y., ’Albany and posal% Buffalo, ClnclmtaU and Clavelaad.

“RIDES" DLLRi iVCDlMrOB,/itU.,

lAPW ie[idalio L e a d e n T h m U u A ppeal

' fo r W r it a a 'Q lm d Denies V iM on BaU ot

no'court-against « Franklin Glr-I

Union calidl-l tj the'Novemberi

a r t becaiisBho di da tas-a-p laco (ballot- . .- I

Girard rcfused.-lo'accep't eertUi-l cates of nomination because.‘.‘the Union-party failed to comply. *1011 rwulrementa of the atate eleetlonl laws.ln.neglecUnB to file cahdl-, dates hot less than 40 days prior

1 the general, clectloa."M. U a ;sup. Idaho campaign

. ja n a je r . .fof.:.W ailam '.. Lemto, U nloa-party , candidate for :P»ai"

Coufei-WlUt

_________ ,

?^5iey.'«>htoaiLthi(y hai'-'un'tU'-.B p.-'.:nt-to::P------------

p.-.in; W 4 < I n a * Q a y . .-.

'a lcard. •.■denle(J.:;-lW.

r,jiathtar-Jrt«ul J t ? i :/:. . . _ j t r a cited a piwlous^auprerrte c6Urt.'raiw-aaa»aH:.v»-: G lffort^

OFPICrA'L COUNTY NEWSPAPEtt^ffl

Havana Echo Of Spanish War

BMK TO LEAGUE!A nthony E don U rges Covenant

Be D ivorced from T reaty H a ted b y Nazis,

in llavaaa was turned Into the shambles pictured by tbo explosion of IBOO pounds of. dynamite le ft In a trucic In the adJolnlnK street

P IN T S EEV IB IO N SUPPORT

^Offers Olivo B ranch to H itler B y Suggesting Inqu iry on

E aw M aterials

By WALLACE CARKOLL Q£aiBVA,-3«pt. 25 (UEl-For-

..gn MlnUrter Anthony-'Eden of [Great Britain today began paving Ithe yyay_JoT 'Germany's jclura to the League ofNotloni. .

Germany long . has demanded tha t the league covenant be »ep-, arnted entirely from the neaco treaUes, . . . . . '

lUnU Treaty Revision e younjc British statesman impllea his'support of re-

vUlng tho whole Versailles treaty.

Landori Tkkes Trade Battle to Wisconsin

RAPS RECIPROCAL TREATIES i N^'Te l l in g f a r m FR0GR.\]M

By JOE ALEX MOimiS jnNNEAPOLlS. Ulnn., SepL 25 (UPI—Golf AU M. Landon

..Is a tU ek on the New Deal's reciprocal trade policy Into Progrcsslve-l dominated Wisconsin today, on a two-day drive to be climaxed Satur­day night b y a n address a t Ullwaukeo on social security.-Bttslnjr his ariv'c fo r o u p ^ rt o_t[

2. A demand for protection, of j tho farmers' domeatls market and!

' end to tho'admlnlslratioiis'. I 'o f .DCSPtiatlng reciprocal

___ lenta. which ‘Governor .Lan­don charged luid "sold the farmer ■ down tho river."

- ■' .'Ulanwota Welcome Wnneaptft.,-where - tSe .farmer-

laBtfi" naPTWggnl -i^as'beeii'Bst, gave th i Kansas, rovcroor •- tbuaaJtln .';ro l«» i» ..« ;*«« p form api«teu>ce9,«n m ito- tp^_ __jjji w hij _________dd iv e r^ a t t ^ . o a tho;ftdmla-IstraOOB t a i penSTtah® ,"»c«nflri- ous". Imports of to rtlg n farm ppxl- ucti 'to , eompetltloa.-wl,th -the domestic .prodBcers.;

t e ^ M i who confer* r j ^ ^ n e x p ^ u - l

I (Continued o n 1 > ^ 3, Column 0)

the dairy and Uvestock-------- .. —a demand, fo r “protection of the A merlcan'market for the Ameri­can farmer." the Hepubllcan presi­dential nominee completed presen- tatloa of his farm program' a t 'a discussion Of trade agreemer'-

apaclty audience of a t the' MlnneapoUs

c l j ^ auditorium Us(.Dlgbti.O. P . r a n a A p ^ . . ,

The l^pubUcan a p p ^ to agrit culture.,^as presented Jn the. I?«a Moines and Ulnneapolis speeches, tacluded: . . ,

1. An appeal, for a frea, odepcndent.'agricultun. based on ire»ervatioa-.-ef',the famlly-typo s rm 'a s optiosed to '“pumanpot

managwneot from W iibtngton.” contlMmUoa of-relief^ttmck* for farmers, and a cash lysst&t sys-

■ 'sned to provide i s x \ " ''t for agriculture.'

.Oddities' S H M IE ''." ,

- BALT'l AKB O TY. Sept. 25- (00 — A Judge Who aomanded. tha t Justice'be'paia,;'t30t-.T»h0: understood yearning hearts.'agreed th a t, Kuth ..Pel------

-,coukl 'share, ter.,-.flnnee'i day'Jall aentence bo their , . dlng .plaaa.would.zwt be iipset BIchard .Saley was given the sentence- fo r -drunkeh; drlvlng.- MlKs'.- p e le i«n^ ."begged • the! Judjo to permit h e r 'to , aerv*'

'seven and a-h'aU -dayi. • Sha'ji pounding a . typowTlteri flaley's,.

sciiivEip p iEO

j p r o p i ^ to I Bo L annbhed^by '8 ^ 0 of- , - f i V ^ u i ’Bo.oto

A ' scrip-VelUnj plan to . encM tt age :the. growth, ot. the .C a p lU l^ Unea between Boise. Nainria, Twin

was anndunoed^ati todays,'.lunci^ eori' ineeUng of. the-T?rtn ..'B'AIH; C h a r ^ r .o f Commcrce.'-VT-'

,-,-'KANSAS,-;.OItr.-.M6;.-,:Bflpt, :H .ttUoeMrs.' H .,0 . ;,ed OB her w ardleader when ahs' -d rop^ tft:w rI? t,'w a tch ;Ja l6 ,-a / .aw tr.-ca td i'taB ln ,' rOiD Jehder^ -

.jsCmember of-the^clt;^* Bowttw-. i-’jYui De»oieartltfiaaoWDo./ot»llg-, '‘•ed the,-..ten'stltUent."-.with' aevr■' , ,‘t i d ' sliis'et VdepartwW-.trtcIuK.-■■-M en/-Tte.»atchw aa.'»yew v;

A sfac raK

M e b e i^ L o y a U s t^ ^ r m ie s ^

"Human, life Is. not staUc, but

Eden offered stUl another ollvei branch to Germany, which has In­sisted tha t it-m ust have-cotonlea in order to obtain raw material.

Great Britain, he said,,Troutd ipport an "Impartial expert In- j i n under the auspices of tho

league" with the Idea of assuring all nations access to ' the supplies

C nature.These remarki followed a plea

. )r European nations to forget their Schisms over forms o t gov- Icmmont • ouch . as Fascism and ~'«mniunlsm and to unite in pre- onting war. ;. . - Isunenta Arms.Uac*Ho lamented tho race Ir

laments, saylsg:"Great Britain regrets

huf^ IS for ahi it-un til.tho nations ofl

the world-reach an lnUmaUonaI| agreement fo r tho limitation andi reduction of armaments.". • . ' Foreign Minister Julio Alvercz jdet Vayo o f 'S p a la charged that] I (C ontinue on l ^ e 2, Column 8)

i pam pilffn i a ’tJontrty' U nderw ay i k F a ir a w i i

- I n rU e r l ^ n J g h t - :

______ 'pat*lu6li;d...... _ .7 B W 8 p , ,m : i a 'f

peoer^ ,r—

t ^ ^ ^ i e T S

Move Nearer Vital Test% tiotding Fate of Madrid

Bloody Drive'Ready To Start at BiJ|>ac|

Effect of Deliberate Floodr May Be. SlightC

‘A dm its’ Staying

»}• MICIIAEL -McEW-E}/,__ _____ _ ------ r-— -1

Q lBUAL'l'AK, Sept. 25 (U P.)— SjyiuisU -tcV d a n d ^oyaUa^.Vl larmic.s iiinneuvDrcd to^lny for t!ic initiative in . the Mnque^a^,-,'Toledo nrca oti u-liich tlio fnto of Toledo'n i.i........................... 'life of t l i c lc r t wiiip Bovcrnmcnt, (Icpendfl. , _.

On tho nortlicrn front,' a bloody n ir aiid.lnnd a ttac k by rcbeUv; appe.ircd ready lo'Hlnrt im m cdinlcly a t Bilbao. . • ■-’‘Hi' A un'yaia o£ comiauuiqwca a u d claim s of bo th .e W ts vita l push fo r Toledo and M adrid p u t tho f ig h tiiis lines ibdnfc' rj

' '10 miles w est of Toledo on thpt'^c

Donald J . Raxen, lnmat» of the sta te hospital for tho 'ln-

'•ane,••Patton, CiiUf;''liis —=~

nirenlde ,Y> W. C A. seore- tary^.n’ho xras fbond bCaten to deatb In a oo -» a t Lb ^oUa. PoUoe aro still uncertain wheth­er the ."eonlesslon" solvca the'

tnerely a figment of aglnatlos.na'ioU'o ^ g ln a t lc

MERY.CHARGE

|Indlctm onl' o f D epu ty • Sheriff T o r K egro Pconogo W ill Be

' Focna o f B a ttlo

U C T ta:A dO Ti,'A rk ., Sept.” I .' rtoWindlctmebV t f i deputy sher* I tf.an.charges'of I»ldIog K egm s fn'jilavoiy promlied to d ^ . to bi^, t^m'lf'l^'»M tylDg point'of o r ^ r KitlWui o<,-U&e and.Ub^mts seek-, to® to p ro v » .& p a« e ;ttd alavjaV:.................... ‘ ^ ^ ^ B ,o o tto a :h # lt i

A:Attotpsy ~ ■

oi“ t 5 ' « ^ ' W . A rkansa*. early aax ttnek .to .rem tm « a fed»ral In* »«U atlon ^ Arkansas labor con- lieSma.'.

»:oUk(rv-«at«-^

■r-ofit?}#vWPA

____ Lv'taa v ii'OBWB Into

M

-THE WAR PICTURE

By United Prt»s Today's develDpments In tho

Spanish civil war:QlBltALTAlt — nebels and

loyalists maneuver for hilUative In preparation for now, great batUe for Toledo and Madrid.

M A D R I D — Loyalists miles.west of Toledo, one mllo north of Uaqueda as new battle develops. Buccessjof eUort to flood UtUe aooe quesUonable.

USBQX — Rebel ooureea re- . port arm y advancing pa Toledo wlt!i fight fo r d ly and Alcazar near: alienee regarding Moiiuo-'" da-Uadrld highway and fk>od efforta. "

BAN 8EBASTUN — Rebel ultimatum for surrender of Bil­bao expires; aiiplones ready, for -bombing aa three troop columns m o rao n c lty ., .

LOYALIST .JlEAOQUAnX* KBS.'Waiioeda-IoUdo Front —

i iC P lBS U p n ra to 'S o iU o ThOM TTeul" & go 'ia Idiiiov P e d t ^ ' '

O ffk s fc y s

BOISB, Sept."29 ,{CB; Ualto .oiaiOM ara 'nov la tf front'(laUb a ^ packing plants a t t w ^ ,Uw n t« oC.k' year a tn ' tha U. a ' da- p e ^ c M « f aj;iteuUure said M a r .. ' ;:^ ,''n iesday,-1,665 c a n o f pb t^ .

___ _ ______ is '4 ra avertl» :o u » - tw lc e 'u « n * t» a tn '------

— f te a.few -cars o£ Bilssi .^ W ,- « p i« to : ;n o w ;^ ,

M R <1II e d n - Toledo .'road.. about ono .m ile' n o r th o f , qucda on the lHaqucda road,' .VI"'

LojTillsU gained on th b 'ila ^ u ^ ’. da-Modrld road yesterday and tij*?!;llines, remalnd static. sp p a n n tlr .t ',J In t ^ Maqueda-Ttoledo road.

•<—-'opments im p e ad ii^ the Bay of Bi»i,:?g

of rightist n itp ls a e s 't_________ ,dere to cany out Gen. EmiUa*'-; MoU's threat to bomh i t , , .

Hostages LHay 1 ^ - .Rebel sources asUmatad th«'lef6.'iH

Ists (loyailals)'at Bilbao and S ’ lander, farther- vest, hold' ab 3.500 . hostages I n . all, many prison >shlps,-4md expxcaaed ‘ fW ? ^ tha t they might be executed. -

The attem pt of the Madrid g o v ^ ^ emment to flood the iteaue" '"■* ■ftledo fIghUnjr area by^Seashead w atM s'of'tha'A toercfis i ____er nod Iniindatlag a R M t area m alhid K W frtery. .*

I. ---------------------U i a f . t i w a *

|a£aUar“r t i« ~ c a Kt a i le«TO the yr/ y dpen 'to tja

all the way to T a la tr - '

D irect :uhi(cd 'said.nuthoritiea-VOS' ' lir tJo in f Hitherto ' u ^ • O Q t C M - t h e floo<Jla attcccsf.. b « l- th o 'a e t^ - r f 'JoyjJlst tctfojwittdlcH..

n ia poalUoB oil -b nT ow o

Page 2: Ghiriese Triq^ iii Move Nearer Vital Test% SKariglim ...newspaper.twinfallspubliclibrary.org/files/Twin... · , ;VQIi.XtS:. NO. 147-t5 CENTS. TWIN PALLS, IDAHO,. FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER

I f tg iT w tPAHO EVENING TIMES. -TWIN F A IJ& IDAHO, P r l^ y , Sepicmljer .25,1036 '■

K iN G H A llE N S E I News in Brief

| f m b o d ln g o a Incrcasts D u p ite / Lcuenlug in Area Hold

By Marines

■(CcntlBucd Prom Papa One) |,» p « r t here on ahort notice any

forcen officials may I Rccea&ary.

; • •Tro6i>?M«lhilranTi •■. .lAnhouRh JapancBo patrols lo - •• y conUaufd a close walcli

r BtcUon of the inlcmal

. . f t J . w . r c S a s J K sn«WB lltm« to thl» <J«p«rtRi«nt ofOi. h7 Ul.phonc T*** ?!

Go to Balt Lftko Dr. nnU Mra- W. H. DwlBhl Icftl

today to t Salt Lnlio Clly, rlannlngl ‘ return on Sunday.

GOCf tO ^M O lHarvey M. Coolf. ron of Mr.

ana Mm. D. Han-ty CooH, haa Irono to Salt LoUa City where he [entered the Unlvcralty of UtaJi.

COMPLICATED RACE IN NEBRASKA

ailn'eoo territory, exccpt ‘Arsund th<l nokuoan pinJcna, a ;T«tauraal patronlied by /many

■ ^ ClOneio oTflclala prevloualy Jmd jr ile s tcd Uie presence of Japa-

iToopa on ihclr territory. Ja- iita'fl poUco rlBhtJi eatcnd only to

IntemaUonal Bettlment.• '. A funeral ro r Uie slain Aaamllau ita iln a to waa held today’on thr oaarter deelt of the Japaoeae flaB- A lp Idzurno. Buddblat and Shlnloj ..yrtests ehante<l. Inccnao V?aB bum-]

■ ind B firing aquad fired i over the body.

HO IIABTV ACTION -'-i.ONDON. Sept. 23 (UPl—Japan;

•fci'itoed Sir-Rob«rt-Clive,-BriUihi •mbaMaiior to Tokyo, ycaterdayl

■Ita l Japan doc* no t intend to lake iM&ty.ftcUon la China, It w aj f""’ ' ffilclally today.J'Twia JapaneM ambaMador . ;<Slna- It w as asserted, la contin-

i® 'sr;r; ^ ^ e n t further Inddenta.

^ le ll Leaders Are " Picked at School

leaders th a t were choacn tn t£a. elections In iho high school

f t ^ y were- Jeanne Robinson, Ed 'jatnoit, AUccn Whlta and N oraan 'SMtes. They wero Introduced in '.Ih s 'u sem b iy this.afternoon

some ytlla..^ ^ ^ la n d Hutchinaon waa chosen :-|feident body treasurer yesterday. i.-»Olh«r student body officers in- JiSnda Bruce Painter, presldcot,

Mary Katherine Smith, seC‘»

• Verdict For Claim Won at Shoshone

l A R BIG CLASHArmiesSkirmloti for Advantagol

In Battle That May Hold Fate of BobolUon -

(Continued From Pace Owl rebels were ready to advance from niolvia, 12 mllcst west of Tole­do, and the loyallala had selrclcd ,n defense lino 8i^ miles wm; oi iToledo.. near the han k s-o f-th e IcUndarrama river.

Denies Toledo Entry ‘Gen. Quelpo do Uano. the rcb<

cl hroailciuilcr a t Seville post tilftlnwJiavo not been

Car Rrcovertsl

Roush I the west po I theft WcdR

was recovered today In t of town foltowins itii

:5day nicht.

Hero on Politic*Mrs. W, S. Gorton, Boise, atatol

vlco chairman of the Ilepubllcan! .central eommlltec. waa hero yca- lerday conferrlnff with local lead-

her wayHo rocatcllo.

Mahex Pep ISaiid Meriln Severln, Twin Fails stu­

dent a t the Unlverolty of Idaho, picked to play tho aaxopbono

___«i-t(rai-a feeling and

____ rebel wireless atatlons that|tho rebels had entered Toledo.

Tho rcbql RnrrUon In tho ruins and the ccllani of . tho Alcazar 8tUl held ou t this morning hoping for early relief. Tho loyallat be- aicBlnir force waa rcduccd and n column was cent westward to strengthen the defense lines.

Flvo trlmotored rebel planea dropped scores of bombs

Here From. OUlfomla •Mr. and Mrs. U V. Guthrie nndi

ilaughtcr, Barbara . Ann, Receda,' Calif., aro su 'sla-of Mrs. Guthrie’a brother>ln*}aw and sister, U r. and Urs. John'Lelchliter. i . - r . ,

VJslt R*»tjve» 'Gucsta of M r.'and iM rs. Oak

Bunn aro Mr. and U rs. Dewey Lowe and children. Long Bench, Calif. Mr. Lowe and Mr. Bunn couslna.

Visit Here Visiting U r. and Urs. Herman

Hlnzo on Lincoln atreet aro Mr. and Mrs. Charlea Hlnze, Chama, N. M. U r. Hlnee, who la a gov emment .engineer, bta he ferred to Boise.

Oora to Pocatello . . .Rev. H. G. Seibert, naslstant

pastor a t - S t Edwartl’s Catholic charch, hsa gone to Pocatello for la few days. Tomorrow ho wlH be]I In Burley to conduct fu n e ra l........'ices. . .

clly, wlUiout g reat apparent dun'---------- defenso guns

from bombingage. “TOiU-alrcraft ' kept tho plane- '■ ■■ city Itself.

iBeet Associatioli Favors 75c Rate

... Tbs tyage scale set by the Ida­h o , B eet'G row ers oasoclaUoB of 79 cents per ton net has been approved by the Twin Falls-Jer- ome Beet Growers, officers — nounced today.

In approving the price It was stated th a t' tho association feels that It la a fa ir wage and that with the prospect of g<>o4 toonago and favorablo weather conditions ilabor will be able to make excel- ! lent wages.

Beet liarvestlng will begin I _jy a t the following receiving...

Itlons: Parsons, Hansen, Sully, fac- '• PUer, Curry, Eden, H a - “ -

Barrymore. Othera aro opened as soon as poslble and

Ifarmers wcro advised to contaet their fl^ld men about opening dates for their sUUons.

KorrisaiuiienCoatcr' of one of the most o

Ing In' any"stale as the Kovemb W. Korris. famous NebraakB p „ agreed to run for re-cle^on an u>_t

Carpenter Jcal Uagles proroU- s Is S ^ t o r George

. Norris, Bfler long toaiy,k Ue Is a

• ________ ____ _bitter foQ of thff w le tan senator. Bobert Simmons, live time* a reprtsentallvo, Is Iho. Q. O. P . senatorial candidate, and le ri jr Carpenter, former rangrcasmon, th e DemoemtJo candidate. Add­ing to tho complications Js the fac t> tta t neither Bnrko nor MoUea

sopporttag Carpenter, tho candldato of th d r own party/

Holy Name Gi'oup Toi Jo in in Mass

L 't ta ln s t M argaret Perrin, admin- r Srtra which atarted to district

'(u rt hero Tueaday morning, was irfded Wednesday evening after M jury had deUberated for about i hour. The « rd lc t was in favor * th e plalnUff allowing her the idl' amount of her chilm of J630 fr,-services aa nurso and house-

Perrin la administrator of nt J , I* Fuller estate. Attorney

'James, Gooding, represcnt- d J*r3. DIekenson.

_ w e n to Learn Of Packing Plant

'o te re will ba a meeting of 1 members and other gtow-

. „ .-th e Chamber of Commerce iras tonight, when t h e --------- -

of divorce was granted Mrs. Ruth| Worley from H. L. Worley. O. C., IHall was attorney for r to plain-. Uff. Judge A. B. B artla? presided a t the hearing^____ •

Urge mrticlpatlonA caU'v.-aa-issued thla after­

noon by Lcwia P . Jones. pr«ident W .th e Young Deraocrallc club, fof all members with cars to as- semblc a t the Clly park a t 7s30

m. to take part In tho caravan I t te Dcroosratic rally a t Filer. '

I V an^e<ra , .Ulas Dorothy Carpenter, daugh-

icr of U r. and Mrs. R. W. Car­penter and student a t tho Uni­versity of Idaho, was one of four girla taken Into iho Vandelcera, student ehorua a t tho unlvcralty, accortlng to word received here today.

J^'MW meat and proceasing plant Ir.wUl be discussed, it waa sUted |;r4»y. by Soc-y F. G. Thompson.

News of Rccord.• r tm e n d a ________

■ilANaEN — Services for Haas f.-.Hansen. 77, who died Wednes-

Jiy;-wiU be held tomorrow a t 2 W-1tu a t the Immanuel Lutheran ^ ■ h w ith Rov. U . H. Zagel,

officiating. IntenncDt will • ^ in Falls cemetery under & of the Twin Falls

B nildlng.Pcrm itB ^

!Homcr Ash, by John fi. IClmes, remodel and move to lots 20 - 30,. block 2. Blue Lakes addl-

ft dwelling, a t an expense of

11. Bkkel addition, I

SistriGt Oonrt

FOUR-CAR S W i [

, Four cars of hoga weto shlppedl from Twin Falls, Burley and Buhl ' ■ • ■ 'pool bought by

n From Convention'Mr. and U rs , Joo. Koehler

relumed from Denver where theyl attended the nattonal convention' of the Veterans of Foreign Wars. They also visited a t Colorado - • fo and a t Cheyenne and|

lao,.Wyg .

Joint >Ieeting Planned .. Tft-ln Falla and Kimberly Grange wlU hold ft Joint booster meeting Wednesday a t 8 p. m. a t tha TWta BWis I. O. O.- F.. halL . oa iclals cordially Invite aU members and friends of both organiiations to atfeod.-

U eetiag Ueld Tlio Dutch lunch and mcaUng

following held by tho Nordllns Porta oompahy la s t . evening. at the Park hotel , was 'atUnded by EO membero of the .organltaUoo, A talUing p icturt m onU-frccM joiid a discussion of^ the subject ^occupied tho evening.

I End Convention with Optimism j But Urging Ourtai]mont of

GoTemment Bpenaing

I BAN FRANCISCO, S ep t 26 (UTJ I—Agreed th a t bushiess recovery Is |-‘on iU way," delegates to the

sold a t ?9.tiQ forljiops, a jrtco higher than tho Omaha market and within 7S centa of tho San Fraiclsco. and Portland markets, Harvey S. Hale,-county agent, an­nounced today.

In the pool were 63T hogs, 212; coming from Burtey. Those from, Twin Falls and Buhl totaled 67,070 pounds. ' f

The lamb pool plonned-for skp- ment tomorrow has been postpon­ed because of tha heavy drop in price on the eastern market, Hale^ atated.

R^aroa Group I\(Ieet8 With Mrs. Hennrich

UAROA,.Sept. 2S (Special) — Tho Lucky Twelve cJuh » c t with Mra. George Hennrich yesterday aftereoon w ith U memben and Ulss Gertnjde -Crismor,- guest, p resent Business meeting was un­der. Isodcrahlp of Mrs. Hennrich, president. !

RoU coil answer was with “tho most. Interesting /-ventfair." Mra. Audrey Reed.'_____score a t pinochle and U rs. S. B. Crismor, consolaUon. ’U rs. Reed

so .won the white elephant , Tho ..hosteas .served rtfreah-, Imenta, naslatod by her daughter. .

pejrt meeting ia to bo Oet 2“ ' iGln^® borne of Ur«. S. H . .J '

.... requested to rcccive h o ly ____raunion in a body, Cothollc church officials announce. Coofeaslonsl wlU be’heard Saturday from 3 and from 7 to 8 p. m. Tho t branches of the Holy Name fraternity are to participate; the Holy Name society, the Holy Name Athletio society and the Junior Holy Name, society.

tho' United SU tcs a pica for gov­ernmental curtailment of expcndl-

and-return to a balanced

luUons committee which demand­ed tha t national, atate and local govcmmcnta trim their treasury deficits.

Tho report waa approved more than 8,000 delegates who hero for four daya to consider cf- feclS'Of recent ligUlaUon and fi- Inancialiupheavala upon tho bank- 'ing’ atnicturo of the country, and to predict banking's future.

OpUmlsUo AirThe convention adjourned In on

»tm6sphere of opUmism.' Cirefuliy cUngtng to non-partl.

jonahlp, tho reaolutlona committe< commented tha t "unuaual econom- le clreurastances and efforts to re­lieve human Buffering may Justify unusual otpenditurefl of public funds . . . but these elrmustancea ahould not be allowed to.obacu tho vital'facL th a t a result to ... balanced budget ahould be the Iprime consideration of a oound fls-|

'^ 'u ’ta^our belief tha t expcndl- turca — federal, stato and local — should be brought more definitely under control."

OarricB Fight on Policy Into La FolletU Territory;

'Pinlaheo-Parm Details

IroporUd that the d cloao to November.

Enemy Territory 'Dg into Wisconsin, p.a aald Governor I--------ry l is hlaJiighUng"- cam­

paign into an ai-ea tJBleh has In­dicated probably the least favor­able ouUooU-for Republican-vlc- itory of any sta to yet visited. They ipolnted out- th a t tho LaFolletle Progreaslve organliation has fav­ored Prcaldent Roosevelt, but a t tho aamo time they beilevod-Gov­ernor Landon'fl views on tho ricl- procal tariff agreemetita would bo one of his strongest arguments th a t dairy area.

In his discussion of tra^e agree­ments, Governor London said:

Claims Injury."Wa have had only two years ila program. But within ev

th a t ahort tlmo the trade ogrec- imentfl have hurt our farmers. I They have taken more of hla mar- Ikets away, both a t homo an.dlabroad. They h a v e ---------------g i t t ln g ---------

Seen TodayThla aecUbn «iavcrted Into’

■a'temporary dust btrwJ, with vn.i«-hnirt«rs provoked- a t the

clouds of dust, Ihoabwho have to be out-doors froat- ed with lava aah, and tho popu­lace In general grouchy beyond worda. . . Call to this depart-

; ment for a good picture of Gar­ner,- fo r your information, that being the 'iiam o of tbe vlco president of the U. S . . , . Good advice any time, lock your, cars, houses and prcmUcs in general, fo r thcro's . always some crook or per*on.-who can't resist temptation, ready .to pounce upoa anything, le f t ' loose. . . Business remlndcf

■ that It’a on lythree months un­til Christmas. .. . Inquirer still trying to figure out what tho attracUona were In Tnin Falla lost nlght,-tbat mado it impos- alhlo a t 8 o'clock-to park on Main avenuo any place be­tween T h ird -; street, north, .

WEAM RFORCES DELAY IN l E i

BRITAIN ACTS TO EGE

Anthony Eden .Urges Ooven^ct Bo Divorccd from T rea ty ' ;

^ Hated' by K aiis : '

(Continued From Pojra One).;; rebels were receiving ald'Ifrom fltatea "whose type ot poUUcjJ re- - 7' gimo they MB .taring .to eatab)Iah'

[ The-Portogiicse delegates, Rod- Hgucs Uohterio and 'August© ,do Vaacdriceltoa, listened from '.thn

of the hall. Portugal hao accused of letting war sup-,

plies for the retiela paM .through

!'*The"1uSi-A jnerlcan delegates, iraany opposed to the leftist, re- . Iglijie in Spain, also wero pfca-. 'em in'force.

.Mention* No N am e*.Del Vayo did not name • tho

I slates to which bo referred, b u tn ^ 'i t was gencrally....aaiumed bo: ■ .meant Germany and Italy; HlS' |adre.w had been anUclpatcd. fcar- ' fully in league circles for 2 1 houra

H« declared the European policy • of ron--lntervcntlon in Spain woa a j t g a l monstrosity, putting tlio

'In'w ord tho program has de- ilayed recovery for our farmers.I B u t the nominee said, ho want- ' - ■ mako i t clear that ho did cot

the proper use of "the gen- Icral principle underlying" tho lagrcemeols. •' Approves Idea

"Tho Republican party, con­demns ■ only tho kind of trade agreements now being made. I t condemns them because they are injurioua to American citizens and :offenslve to American principles.

•The second point I want to, malte clear la th a t I am opposed:

policy of iaoiation. I w a n t ’- a prosperous world as well 'osperoua America."

if tho Holy NameIDAHO ALFALFA

SEED CROP CUT

Funeral Set For Jerom e Pioneer]

REPUBUCAN TEA SLATED^ Women's Republican leaguel

of Twin Falls county will give al silver tea Monday.,at 2:30 to Sj p. m. a t the home:of U rs. JamesI II. Shields, Jr.; 820 Milner' street. Buhl. Spcaltem will bo E. M. Ray- bom, candidate for state aenator, and Uro. Charles K. D w ight run­ning for co\mty treasurer.

,.WANT ADS BRINO RESULTS.

U rs .-J . a Burgoyne, , .......reslOent o l Jerome, wlU bo paid floal.tributo Monday a t 2;30 p. m. a t services to be hold la the Jerome funeral pariors with Rev. A. E. Martin officiating. Burial wiU be In Jeromo cemetery beaido the grave ot her husband who died 16

^''Sra.^Burgoyne dled.'Wcdncsday in IClamath Falla where she hsa made her homo io r the past three years. - Causa of her death is ascribed lo a ^h e u t 'a tta c k . Shei was visiting, i n Jerome .a 'month ago apparently ln good health. ' ' Surviving are tho following i

3d daughters: U rs. A. B..FetTy,, :rs. J . A. Rusaell, Mrs. C D. Tur- in, oil of Jerome; M n. George,

_-odrail.Bnd Mrs. Wes Burgoyne,! Lalceview, Ore.; Mrs. E. a Knull, Horseshoe Bend, Idaho and Joe and Jim Burgoyne, Merrill, Ore., and Mrs. Wilbur Badger, Klamatif Falls. , ' . '

Swears A llegi^ceBefore Judge' A. B. Barclay ii

district, court taday, Gerrlt \L. PeUrs, Amsterdam, took-the oath of allegiance to tho United Stotea, renoimclng tha queen of the Neth­erlands. His naturallzaUon -was

t from last week on account :nce o f '« required witaes*.

P rodaction E stim ated a t Only] O no.Pifth o f ta s t-Y e a r ’a

7 ic ld in Stato

BOISE, ScpL 2S (im—Idaho alf­a lfa seed productkm wUI bo ap­proximately one-flflh of the 1035 crop o f-0.010,000 pounds, the bu­reau of crop.caUmates revealed to­day .' , , . ' .

A n ua/avorablo growing aeaeon and. large decreases both In. acre­age planted and yiekl per acre caused tho drostlo . reduction. Croweni icported yields would av- cragd' about .00 pounds per acre. L ast year th a yield was 200 pounds per acre. Thq prieo o t alf* ,olfa seed is tip approximately 26 per cent this year.■ Nationally, • production oC alf-

Glenn Gibb Wins Only 'Hatehj — Tlaycd' Todayin -Ju n io r^ “

High Toninoy

Semi-final pUsy In' the Red dl-, visloi In the -Twin F ^ ls Junior blgh*kchool tournament waa par^' tlolly called Sff this afternoon be­cause- of the w eather,' George Sprague,, s p o n s o r , announced. However, the play-off wiU con- "aue over the week-end.

In tho one match today Glenn Glbb beat Melvene Hulberc (M. Ted Lake and Gene Colan are to clash In the boys' division of the toumament and Virginia Adama is to ’ met JcroAdlne' Gasser in the' Red glris’ divlaion, tho winner of which la to play Adda Mae Breck'en for championship In that aectlon.

MaiTiage of Miss Fritcher Announced

The marrioge of Miss Glcnorn, Fritcher, daughter of Ura. Glenl Frllch'er, and Stanley Anderson,! jMountaln Vlew> Calif., in Reno.! ,}(cv., on Aug. 27 waa announced ! today by Mra. Fritcher. I' FoUowIng, tha. ceremony Mr. and

• - - • o . m i n otlow making

basis as tha rebels.Ndn-latervcntlon worked for tho

Ibeneflt of the rcbel4, he said. ■ '._;;iViJ.or«j?r>?ylng_evco'.dny wJU»_ tho btood of our youth that tlie rebela are using I"

000,000 pounds compared with 49,- 000,000. pounds In IDM end 1936. Severe drouth and graashopp«r

.plagues caused the decreased pip- duction ln a .num bero f states. ^

I .JOB-K 8A T8I-' , \■..»rnlh Is.jBOa .te ba stnmge* than fiction and . aonta wives

, wHl agteo. E b whati AQ drives believe tha t- they shenld get

' tbelr share o t the Good 11m e » - i-A t.U N C L E JOB-K’S -r

B broke o u t"

SERVICES SCnEDULEDJEROME,■■Sept"25 <8j>»eial):-^ •

.Services for^Riwcoe J-. Callen, 52. Iwho died suddenly yesterday, .will I bo held Sunday a t 2:30 p. m. in'tho Presbyterian church. Rev. W. F.

Lake Taboo a n d ............................their homo in Mountain View. Mra.; Anderson U a graduate of tho local schoors and a member of Kappa:

i>a Sigma ' sorority.' Both she',___her husband graduated from'IStanford university.

GBANGE MEBTmO StATED HOLLISTER, Ecpt 25 .lEpccioi;

-HoUlatcr Grange .will observi Booster night Wednesday evening a t tho Grange hall. A good ' ' griun Will bo presented, i t Is , nounced, and an Idaho products Buppcr will be sen-cd. The public i Is invited. . - '

FBIEO cmCKEK- DINNER. ' Christian Church

.S a t Evening f r ^ 5 to . Prloe-iOo

CMON B lS si

anCKEY MOUSE AND POPEVE

- DIBTHDAY PARTY

TOMORROW M O E N IN ai-Doors Open a t 0 o'clocb . . . .

Special Prizes t Cartoons 1CHILDREN—'

I

and her]y J. I

o ’ and restraining by lojunc-' tt •alleged draining trom a plant

Perrin# coulee of eontamln- n ^ j^ e d 'm a te ria l from dead carcasses.

and Miss Doris Bwope, have gone to North Powder, Ore., to ■vUdt a t the home of Rev. and Mi».,W. T. Armstrong. Mrs.. Armstrong is tho daughter trf Mrs, Swope,

[to Probate WIU ' „ , Will of tho late C h r ^ m U

Christiansen, who died Sept- 17. was Bled for probata today by hJa wife, Mrs. BSthllda Christiansen,

Old Bullet FatalSURRBT. Eng. (HE) — .While

John Uakinscm, a-ho te l Ve-— " waa showing hla wife the i where he received a bullet hi h ls ||

valued a t *0,000,, to Mra." Chrt^,; Uansen. Property includes U loU in Berger and aecurilica.'. Hewing on tho peUUon. which was.filed by Georgo. U . Paulson • o f ^ W l^ n , Paulson and Sheneberger, has been set for O ct 0,

At the Hospital , --.PaUeal*-ndmUtEd:..GIta-Hennt. Twin'.FalU: Len- CTlfford.^Hager; man: John W; Hardin, K ipberlyi. Russell a Burkett, FUer; Ure. Ray SluytCr. Twin Falls; Farrel,aoi\l*. Hansen: Charlea McNolly.and Fred

FUcr:-^aIe Gould. Buhl;;;llni. A a . Bcnolt.'Hn(..W. H- Gasser, Mrs. WUbert' CnawfOrd and rllalpli.Fcs-

»ulath, .Mlnjj.;.:Mr«.'H, ^ifli-'H oW isters-M ; “

Smith. ^Buhl: .<

x» '.|EattittBa. Tw in'.rails. '

.. fVcoi Jhrw to eight a o n tta a it tha .productlon-of-oa-

! ia is t« i)-«a rt^ A r the moWes,

. ; wUhID A X U P IH O A . ..

i^ m th H erttert^B oIaad-yetayI

1 J S E 0•MAMT W i r a 0 ,K . dU A EA O TEE - r . .

- '3 i-0 H S V ^ M AflTEB BEDAN, w ith tn m k .:......:...J $ S 5 0 '‘36—PLY M O U TH D cLnxc TWO-DOOBi w ith t ru n k $ 5 7 S?3B—P L Y M 0 U r a . COUPE ___'S a -L A P A V E T T E S E D A i? ,_____’SB—FORD V .8 COUPE ________- ____'S i - P O R D COAOR ......J..-.----------- .---------------- ^^.f465

, ■32-O H EV , OOUPB, w ith r ,’81—O ESV , 8P E 0IA L SED A N ’3 1 - d H E V . o o u P E .

'.>88—O H SV . OO.^OHj t r ^ a n d ho t w ater h c a t< ir'v ...$ 2 ^• ’81.A F0R D A VIOTOiBIA OOUPE ----------- ' • ff2 3 9■•’3 0 -F O E D A OOUPE ;..............................!------------------ f 2 »- '2 5 -P O R D A OOUFB ..........................

I '2 0 - P O R D A « ) O O B S E D A N ,7 .B I ;’-25-:.FORD A ^ A N

■ 2S .:^H E V .-SE O A K ■’27—N A flH B ED A il i ’27—B U IO E S T A ^ A E D S t S OOAOE

t^ ac i-C A D H IA O p v n A -y .............____________ ^ ,P IO & D P , 4.»peod transm isstoa

'34—OHEV. 167 Li.'whBfil 6^80 T R U d k ™ .: . .- ; - . : i ! ^ i l« $ ’ 3—O H B v y iW j a . :-wheei-bMe TRUq^^•ai^-O HEV '.’iW riaVrwiieol Itasa T R U O K --.-..- .

:’23-^lN T E R ifA T 10K A L tm U O E ,'G «pced t n i u . 2 L $ i 7 8I '26-i-<JHEV.' .pm'AN ■ .I v 's a ^ b & D ' T OOUPE ,i

6I.EN G. JENKINSO B B T E w i r ’ -

Page 3: Ghiriese Triq^ iii Move Nearer Vital Test% SKariglim ...newspaper.twinfallspubliclibrary.org/files/Twin... · , ;VQIi.XtS:. NO. 147-t5 CENTS. TWIN PALLS, IDAHO,. FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER

':,Pri3ayi.Sci3ietQ,'J)cr.25,1935 , .rO A H O E V E N IN G T IM E S ; TW TN FA TTi?. ID A H O . .PftSe 1

HNLEADlBy ^2 w m

B cpnbllcan H as 203,972 Votes . To 185,40C fo r Booscvolt;

21 a taU a L isted

OoVirnor Umdon .. Itooa6velt.Krfiiy.by 3.lo 2 In Tlie Llteraly. DlBcst poll'w ith 000,000;

'' .volea from z i atAtca coimtcd. ' ' • . In 'ths latest XlffurM. the Prcsl-

'(lent . recelvc<l 1BM05 votes com­pared w ith 203,072 io t the Repub: Ilcon cudU n tc.' WllUam Lcmko received 10,632. ' ■ •" E ig h t new itAtes had.tbclr l in t

• ' . t e .......... .... ,I Early- rotum* Xrom CaUfomtai

ahowedxandon Icfidlns-wlth I7,oofl .vo tea 'to Rooacvolt's ’ 10.018, and Lomktfs 1,003; ' • . „ •• Alabamft. Florida .and Georgia,

' j^Ubulftted'this week for the Ilrsitime, worb In the Roosevelt column

■ Konsofl eavo Ijmdon better than 0. B- to 4 leud;in ■ Its .Hrat count Scattering .returns from neighbor-intr Colctmilo gave tho Republicanwmdldato a 3 . to 2 lead and In

• NcbroJilta a 8.to < lead.• The North Dakota tally phowcd

• . taodon leading.w ith.a scant nm- i JorJly while. Lemke. whose home

fley.-Ohlo, Pennsylvania and TeMS, Bliwcd n e w ealns for ^Umdon

'* *■ roricinir from 0.0 per. cent to 2.0per'Ceat'froin last week's tally., ,

•Tbo poll results thus f a r : , •,i ■ ■ • 'su ite • . Umdon Rooscvjltj

of th e

O ffic ia l. Vieiiw o f t^o Republican and D cm oeratiC aa- lional. conunlttBes on loading issues of tho cam po ip i a io prosonlcd by leaders o f .tho two pa rties in Uiis sories of 12 a rtic le s r !n ie ’ 1B<siiublican~and“ pcinocratic 'iirE T O tjn ts-aro- boing presontcd alternately , , • ,

I S ena tor Po in ts O ut Increase? I n Seed P rices P a id to

Idaho F a n n e rs

(REPUBLICAN) ,Congressman, Chaises New Deal’s Farm'

PrSgram Hvirt America But Helped Other. Nations

y nEPRESEN TAW K FRANCIS D. CDLKIK._____ Director, Farm nivtolon. lupubllcan Katlonal CommL...le conslrucUve farm pollclca ottered to the electorate by Gov.. AW

Alabama V Arkansas — California — Colorado .....

Ixiulslana --------• Maine .... ........

MlnnesoU — —Mlnilsalppl -------Nebnuka --------New Jersey -----New York .........Nortii Dakota „Ohio .....Oklahoma .......-Pcnnaylvanlft — Texas — .....—

“ ffi ; 2,848

<.820 1T.03T 11,813

s‘SS1,372

__________Republican presidential candidate, are nlmple and clear.He proposes on effective soil conservation and erosion control pro-

eram In connection with national-land use and. flood conaervatlon. Ho proposes proUctlon.of the famto a ll Of the homo market.ho can creating injustices to the consumer. Ho proposes! prttecllon.of Hid family typo of farm In IhUcountryl fay, siich cash benefits .as aro necessary,to cushloni

, Amerlcon farm families agtansl Uie dtsaslroua ef- , feels of prico flucluaUon, and to protect the Amer­ican standard of living. Ho proposes relief to auffer- era from the drouth and economlc'dcprcsslon.■ Contrast w U hlhls ntralghlforward eKpres-ilon of w hat the Rcpubllcon party is ready to .do for “ fahner.^the inhuman-.and obstinate,policy of .

:Ncw •Dcalcta,-^who . destroyed ■ food-.while 'hRlUonai wera starvinc; who plowed under and restricted 'crops In' pursuance of a policy declared unconstilu- , tional by the United Slates nupreme court, and w.ic ; b'roko.'their solemn pledge to cohservo the domestic

market for, the Amcrleari farriier. . • ^.Under the New Deal, there 1ms been an Incredible

increase in 'the ImMrtaUoa of foreign farm proUucU and.o BtorUlng decrease in the sale of American farm products to foreign markeU.'SlnM PresIdent Roosovelt took office, ImporUtiona of — ..........have ln.creasfd il.pe .r cent and —

- TOTAL _____ 203,072 193,405'

I Don’t Qnotc Me by

Uniled Press

Keea-oysd, grety-tuii»M.•- zUla DoBSocr»tlc noJalo«k-: fer goveniof. opened ^ p a r ty 's . BtalS/caiopolgn recenUy,wllh:a

_______ 344.000_ ____ than 43,000,000,

________ Ih ’1*8 meantime, ex­portations of American wheat lo foreign countries dropped until in 1893 thoy were, only a hundredth

,of what they had been before the New Deal, while -cxpottaUons of flour decreased 42 per .cent. products.dropped’.lO.per cenl lard 82 per ccnt.

Qugtes Land!

' iuldre»iam i-v«fbaU nuia(U i>‘.'

According to the Republican; candidate himself, oven before the AAA was ruled out. by the su­premo court. U was rapidly dla---- 'iln ......... ..

)f —, -By Ita pOUcto,t^ en ° t io jS«crlMtf‘fttnflcr’oul of' foreign jaorkcts and put tho for­eign .farm er. into tho .A roerlc^ m arket Tho loss of markeU, both o t home a n d ' abroad, <ar out­weighs tho value of all the' bene- fllfl paid to farmers-.

"Worse than th is , from' , itandpolnt o f;the public. Is. the. fact "^hat thb-.'adm inlstratlm , thrcJUgh its', program' of scarcity,

•^ im bled 'w lttv tbe.needed food 'iced , supplies of tho country-

. . ,»CTloolfed.tho,fBCt tha t M o t^ Mafix* «inriell>fl n ‘ • ' *

07.004.1B0 pounds of food productswere obtained. Tho rest w ,-- -----verted Into inedible grease llUxer and was buried.

Slaps RoDseveU Commenting on tho criticlsml

I „hich destroying tho pigs oroused.. President Roosevelt, told a group of farmers In Washington on May14. 1035. tha t .‘’Iho crocodlli ' — shed b y ,th 6 --------------- “ ■

-Oark's- spooetai -n«y,-TMk - - jn-i»p*r-ln>i*ven.BtpaUJr,

;wlU ftam ■ - .........■-

- ' . S t w i ^ l M n Wept*«>s»WfT->fl;

■-nifthnsd-'oml eJ»ctly• slsn^“ to.-a«fll?t,ces.~V4»

Idaho Farmers’ Income (Goes Up

' DOIBB, Sept. 2S (SgcclnH—Thi cash Income to Idaho farmers from farm production In 1033’Is esU- mated to hava been 505,731,000,

|com pa«d w ith , 'J03.600,000 In 1034. Total casn Income, lnclud*| Ing benefit payments to farmemj "•operating In adJusLoient p ro /

polgn'of confusing misrepresenta­tion ■;deslgned, to mislead the American farmer Is now carried oa by tho cnemles-fl Roosevelt administration,"

night.• "During the past two weeks,"

Popo said, "rumors that President Roosevelt h id axhltrarily reduced

,Uio tariff ,on -c love r,aad ulfaUa seed by lO cents a pound causing

'« drop,of 10 to 18 centsva po.un<l In aelllng, price have been'circu­lated In Ihla territorj-. If such e ithlng were trile, the farmers i.woiild'havo good cause to ob- Iject, b u t'th o .vo ting public Italnly should not countenance ™ 'true scalements' deafgned to turn tho farming population against

ly Bdmlnl!............... ... ■—benefited

last 18 years, ,'"L ast January and .la st Junel

there were somo small reductions iof four and three cents per poimd in the tariff on seeds in .tho Ca- Fa'di5inrnd” Frc»cir-iraaB-agTCC:, mcnts, but let u.i look a t the

■facts. . . .— I’oliil* to l-aeu

•‘The alfalfa seed prbdi ..the United States }n 1036 Is about 37.000J00.pounds.„Tho Idaho pro­duction Is estimated o t opproxl-l mately five and one-half mlUlon| pbuhds. The growers

.seed I n ,Id a h o ...........

old and obsolete order slaughter o t lit tle . pigs and

,other measures to reduce surplus lagrlculturnl ' ‘ ...........-deceive!

clally right."-:’ ' . . . - ’ : I

A s'ln other instancca..the.formcord of the-New.D«al odmlnis-

very tew thinking people, and least ' It all. tho farmers Iheraaelvcs" |

That tho-President was skating, in thin Ice wlien hs made this ar-;

gumcnt Is proved .by government figures showing Umt .\merica *— -• today with sharp Increai.-,

.0 Importotlons of both livehoga .and^xork, products^ Jm portJ

tho first five monlhs of 1030 about eight Um«» g re a te r .,— Uiose for tbo flfst five months of 1053: Forelgn'productfs ore reap-] Ing-tho benefit of Mr; JtoosevHt'a Wholeaalo hog .slaughter.-• Governor Xsmdson'Bays:• r'Our farmers aw enUUed.to alll

ii>f {he hom e.n}a^l,tbey,can-sup-| ' • - ’Itbout Injustice to the eon-i

grams, w'as *7^021,000 last, year' and JGO,B80,000 in'lD34.

Caah (ocomo from soles of live­stock products Increased from $20,413,000 in 1034 to $33,330,000

.last year. Caah Income from sales of crops woo nearly tho same both

'years—S34.3P3.000 lost year $34,301,000 In 1034.

1^0 most valuable single farm commodity last year was mllli, yiddlng a cash income of nbout $lto.42S,000. Sales of wheat ykld- m 50.347,000, other commodities 'with a cash Income greater Hum

$5,000.000,. In.order, and calves, potatoes, at lambs.

SESSION SCHEDULED Bonnlo Stitchers 4-H club wUij

luld its achievement day tomor- a t 2 p. m. a t tbo lion

Mrs. C. A. RiiUierford. ai^nsor. Mr». A. S. Reams Is also a spon- . . . o t the'■ group. Parents and

Ifrienilfl of the girls aro wclcome.l lit Is stated.

Peace Sewion Will ' Heiir Two Senafori#i,'5

CALDWELL, Sept. 25 (UB ^ Senators William E. r •- — ’ James P. Popo and C-

aupremo court, will be .speakers at>-the peaco ecmiisLr ,coa«

Iducted a t tho College of Jdohft, 'o c t. 2. 3 and 4. The program l» iipoiinorcd by the Bolae emergency, peaco commltteo. Round Ublo Ula-;.'', cusslons will predominate.

. en'. agrieoltore, .defends .th e ' N«iv Deal forfo . prognun.' S t ^ r y , .ndinlnfitra. ,

my ______• •Com'e'.ia^taaoHoTll.t/dlila’t t h t

• Ptobably.-'ndw Uie^Domocnits hav, ■ iiomlnated ..engineer, Clark.- they

•but be-vifM»;p<x>r

■ !• .Senator VrtUlani

...- ^ T f S S S .” B « 5 .to e W

i :.Rro\ibUeBM.v*weo>;.:.^<'K«4:,'ohasSe- - th 4 lr ,-N o v w ^:;« le c tk aa o t A wlren C, W Tmaeo M i

• •< •■'TotoTPeeMy werci'-lunabJe' tftW otOM- c . A.• .:iteeUbUcan'clitlnBan,.^rxft«d L.B.

,. i : •!cittSS^I>pc«t*lIo irayer.'.'.t*^

_ acreage. The-BinMiead-^« A»S‘< »»ter.,«peolrf^y

the N ow I> ^ x iji* rt« .'j> * l ft l .l^ t of J0.000;w» tedes ,t>f *<JU on:to^marketed by farmers from : t i t aW34-1085 crop — - ■■■ --------appnntm ately ,. .

, w te a ti! tiMton,. -------- -— -tro d cunivation. or one-tenth of S T - land': ■ in - eultlivtlon la . the United S U te s ., - - • . , .• s • In Ihe-lail of lS33,-tlie.AAA do-

stroved e.aOO.OOO 'plfi^ «««>:------ *■tored mOOe.-prespectlVo

N e ^ - l ^ y awaited senUnA tor. volunlary,.manslaughter , In , tbo slaying of-Lawrence Rucker,, 42. Negro, a ^ r te d ly Qver-on u""* jxslauran ttU l.. '••'.Tunt6r..wa« eon»lct#d.ta DUtrict Judgfl;JUUn-G.'.Tharman‘s .court.-

projtlmately $18.30 per hUndr^ pounds, ns compared with $12-63 - r hundred-poijda in 1030.

"Tlie crop reporting boaid the department of agriculture advised that red. clover need

land $14.85 in 1034. The average; price for this seed was $15 per liundred pounds between tho years 1020 aiid 1033. Compare these prices with the average for aoutli- ?m Idaho on Aug. 15^1036. which was 510.75 per l\undrcd p o u n ^ '

' Drands "Looso Talk". "A great' deal .of loose talk U

going around about tho tariff ,lclefi of this admlnlstraUon, tho Import duty on alfalfa a present time Is exactly the

'a s It was under the. tarlfi of 1022. T he present rate of if on red clover Is one ccnt lilgh-' or tfiin the act of 1022- ^ ,. "Aiter all the talk -you have

Iheard about the deslre.of tho 'publlcan party to preserve the do,- mcsUo- market for domeallo (iro- ducers, consider these .facts.: ..

•'Ttio total Imports of .-nyalta iseed into tho United SUtes dur- :lDg..Uie.llrst ha lf.of 1035 n ' gated 88,000. pounds- During tho last year o f , the, old g the JmporU, of alfalfa, seed .080,000 pounds-.-Imports-of red clover'seed-during the -flrst.ha lfof 1830 - totaled 10,000 , pojmds. Compare tills with Imports of 8 ^ 000 fpounda.-ln 1032: ■. 1.700,000 pounds/io lSai,- ,8nd - '2,600.000

^ u n d a In 1020. Tho orator“ *', .jm b a sfo f paj-Uslkn crlUcs m «aua« a qucsUoa^of, a theory .but It eertalrily.cannot repudiate thes^^ factual results. - •

the A S e r i ^ farmer a t the j r ts ; , ent time than any time In the paSti to 'b o specially deslgnatedetaefai! Foreign aUoIfa aod red clover »c<S'

.should not be .used."

G olden R u le" C. C. A X D E l tm CO; /

I R O N

F I R E M A N

■ D O M A w » t W H h C o a l H a n d l i n g

a n d C u t t F u e l t o i l

• *Qtb* ,, , jn » i ic o J 4 ^ ti« U * e J b V g rp w tl> .o ( y M « .W is j l s a i t o a r i l d lk - I r a a

5 ^ m ! ^ •■ .. <.Ky< /:■ 2>V'«^^'^^«^«'>^«'^^'^^'A'^tb'nultic-•foel^.^lla:to..dolng. to b aa , - l » i p t o d i i ^ a he iring toflTenlenee t a 4 l u ^ ncrer'thonglil,

I *' S i 0 -2 3

■ .

thrills !

Romance!

G r a m o i i r !

Join Our Big

T reasure H u n tBis surprise tomorrow, the last day of the Great Brithday Sale —A a honest'to-goodness old-fashioned Treasure H unt If youVe never participated in one before just take our tip—Join in the fu n —' You won't he disappointed!

SATURDAY ONLYDOZENS OF USEFUL ARTICLES INCLUDiNG—

Radio ,.- .Electric Mixer - Electric Iron

Silver Set

Perco^toi*s Lamps

Chromium Ware VasM

AND DOZENS OF OTHERS!

- ASK ANY SALES PERSON

Don’t Miss These Wind Up SpecialsL a s t D a y O f F r e e M o n o g r a t n m i j i g

FALL FROCKSJust 100 now frocks m;6mart .'^vools, silks .and .nov-. c ltr-fabricSandm aisca.l2to52, ;,D oa't mtaa these - _

' GRAYCO SHIRTSla rg e am rlm cht of patterD s and.colprfl,- l a strljies ahd clieclcii;-8LEe8 14 to 17; Have:^-;-: : . C | , O A Tcitbcniied collars. Keg. $1.05 values*-,

H N E SIL K S '•: AliqutlOOO jttijSa of KiBlHir pnccdBjlksand ftCeUitCs ■f in printfld and plain crepes and novelty 4 4 C -

-tpsaves.. 3 9 .^ ., Wide,. T t r t l

PART WOOL BLA3SKETS_= i I e a i« & 'T O ig h t:p a t t .w o l 'd o u W < ^ b li i^ U ^ ^

H O LLW O O D W IU PS■SwaMcr b e l t ^ modela TTitU-.olovcrsleeTO’tr<i»tiL.„ r -m a n ta ilo red rriUidinniffs ^ a ra n to e a 'fo i* the^iti o t th e ga rm en t. R e^. 2 5 :0 0 ,' . 'S i m ^ 2 to 20 — ---------

MEN’S POLICaE SHOES ’.All leather police jjliof double sole and wc(4>proo£l)nius.-

alioas . frUh ATat«r-n:

Slllil.T ss;Irtundeccd ~ MlI«pliftnc'Jrrai>P^d.—J Csnnon sliects 8C0 guat;iiHtced to givo otd.nnrrl.OQKehold.:w«r.- ^ - - ..:^08.OTll08/;81*W..^W” 3 U ^

Page 4: Ghiriese Triq^ iii Move Nearer Vital Test% SKariglim ...newspaper.twinfallspubliclibrary.org/files/Twin... · , ;VQIi.XtS:. NO. 147-t5 CENTS. TWIN PALLS, IDAHO,. FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER

ypTif • IDAHO EVENING TfMES. TWIN FALl^; IDAJTO :F r i^ ; September 2 , 1J136 '

T E L EPH O N E 38

y IDAHO Ttuii:s I'

Bnt«»il‘a» De«nfl Cl»»i I >11 MXlcr In th . T»: If Act ot Consr..*. i

Hf Uall. \V«h'ln*ina'm Vn T 'cii<n"cii71^ 0*«°r«ar. }}.5« Uy Mall. OuUli]a Idaho, 1 rear, it.00

li:SBSTATJVU8

N E W B 0 1 L D I> .-0 C O D E K E E D E D . E v id e n ce U nit T w in F n tlu is g re a t ly in ne ed of a

buililiDB code is scon w ith tlio c ro iiiiing u p , lie rc ■',-aud-tIn.Te, i n . t l i c liimincsH suc tion of Blincks w liic lr pnBs|

m iis te r o n ly IwcanBC C orrug iitcd i r o n co’iniilies \v i(h th e ■^qniretncntH / o r "lircprool sli-ucturcf.'’-

X o juH t c rit ic ism c an lie n iadc 'ngu inK t tliosc wlio c re c lj r. micii B tructiircj), fo r tliey tire c o m p ly in g w ith th e c i ly or- J dinnncpH in aH p a rtic u ln ra . W l ia t in needed is n n ad c '; «jna(e Im ildiiif; code w liicli w ill c a re fo r th e needs of a ■'cil.v lik e T w in Fallw, a lre a d y Kiiffen»K ' fro m g ro w in g

POTS h o t sThe G entlem an in

the Third Row

BYDECKM0R6AH

© 1936 ,KE A Service, Inc.

-pain-s in laoro «5y n tlm ii one.; T in; m ay o r a n d c ity council Im ve h a d u n d e r , c o n s id e ra ­t io n f o r Bomc tim e th e a d o p tio n o f a codc, b u t hecauBc of

•ita le n g th knew th a t in c o rp o ra tio n of i t in i t s e n tir e ty l^^jtvWould lie p ro h ib itiv e fro m mi ex p en se F tnndpo in t.

■ - I f a n o rd in an c e c an he f r a m e d ,^ ’liicli n u tlio rize s th e ^ode hy reference , th e n T w in F a l l s soon sh o u ld lie ab le

. t o - p u t a s to p to tlic .c rc c t io n Of u n s ta b le , u n s ig h t ly a n d ■ ho iardous s tn ic tu re a - jjo w p e rm itte d w ith in th e f iK zone. V, T h is c ity h a s a z on ing o rd in a n c e .which h a s pfovo'd ben-

• c fic ia l, fo r th e m o s t p a r t , b u t th e c o n tro l t h a t c an be yeserclB ed ove r c o n s trn c tio n in th e - f i r e zone .is f a r from

su ffic ie n t. . ■ • .; T h e c ity , p la n n iu g commis-sibn, of w hich M a y o r Jo h u -

y^lton is . ex-officio d ia ir m a u , h a s recom m ended th e adop- 't}on o f a m odel b u ililln g 'co d c . I t Ifl n o t e n t i r d y dcKim ble,

; ;p e rh a p s , heCnMso th e re a re m t r i c t i o n s w hich ‘w o u ld prove] '- .u n d u ly costly .

.S fo re s tu d y « n d w o rk on tJie p ro b lem a re e s se n t ia l, so I th ( \t tl ie code ad o p ted w i i r s n i t lo c al c o n d itio n s . I n th is j .'t l ic c i ty a n th o ri tic s a r c ' t o bo com m cndcd, a n d a t tlie

j;M U ie tim e cncournged to tn k e tlio needed s te p a t th e eiir- [--V llcst.possih la tim e BO -thnt.tbe . c i ty .w ill Kccura a l l th e bcu-

,,’: |f i ts o f a m odern b u ild in g coile, e la s t ic e n o u g h so aa to li.i io t h a m p er p rog ress , bijt* r e s tr ic tiv e enough to p re v e n t r j l lm o s t u n b r id le d c o n stru c tio n .

AmonQ our younger goHIno te l w hs'rt' cMmblna right up there MSlally It Jimmy 8ln- . elalr.

Jamea played around the country club courte Sunday wUh none other than United State* Senator Jamea P. Pope, and both Jimmy and the ten* ator eald they had a swell time.

___________—

A FRUGAL FELLOWPol Shota: ,

Various and sundry of our local I tycoons -aempll/y. my "Do-Pua"l entry every day, ao pcrchonco I; may Innd In the prire-wfnnlDB ■aos simply to r plcluriDg IIT- » ' IQ |g lived bercnbout&

, A Rent sraohes.hU cigar, and smbKca . . . and smokes. Finally ■ho gota down to a nierc atub that Inearly bums bla whiskers.

W liat Is h t .dolngr—Pluto

P. S.—He It "renchlng tho cn< jof hlfl rope."^

DRUGSTORE COWBOYS

Mllky-iklnned creonara- who sing'of the plains

Give many people some very large palna.

J IN G O IN E A C H O P U S I/.V F o rm e r S ec re ta ry o f W a r . N ew to n D. B a k e r spoke

|; :;1 |'tr a ig h t from th e sh o u ld e r In a rg ln g h is fe llo w c o u n try - ; i:o ien .to se t themBcIves -B tralgh t on th e rea so n s w h y th e ‘ ■tJuited S ta te s g o t in to th e A var.in.1017,.•X T iie re w as j u s t one reill rea so n , say a M r. B a k e r , a u j it] f:,yw th e s in k in g of A m erican sh ip s 'b y G erm an subum -

l - .- t^n e s . ■*I f bankers, m u n it io n s makeri?, a n d oU icr •w ealthy gcu-

w ith flxcs to grind hoi-aaythiog to do w ith i t , S fr. '.^iBaker nev er h e ard a b o u t it— a n d Le w as in a s p o t to hear,

anyoDQ w as. F ro m th o f i r s t to Ja s t , h e n e v er h e ard ' in y o n e in th e c ab in e t even in tim a te th a t wo h a d to get

’■' J ia to th e w a r to p ro tec t th e ^H o u sc o f l lo r g a n o r a n y o tlie r i,3 'banking firm .■ iii' T h a t tho fo rm er s c c rc ta ry o f w a r sh o u ld even f in d i t ,';-';%oce8sary to Issue su c h a p ro n o u n c u n e n t i s a s ig n i f ic a n t ‘j u d ic a t io n o f th e ch an g e th a t h a s como o v e r A nie ficau l ^riUi.iuking ill- r eg a rd to th o wav.

.-’ ■We Bceni to have decided , of la te , th a t w e .w o u ld never, (have goiie to "war b u t fo r. th e v illa in o u s b a n k e rs a n d ^aitionH m akers. J l r . B a k e f ’s H ln tcm en t c a lls o n u s to re- " flee t t h a t a t th o tim e .wc a c tu a lly w en t to w a r w e .hod no f?uch n o tio n s a t a ll. ■ ,

A n d 'h is s ta te m e n t is ti u se fu l re m in d e r t h a t we c an go J p r e t t y b a d ly a s tr a y by tr y in g to o h a rd to f in d 'a p e rso n a l - iT illa in to b lam e fo r th e trag e d y <)f 1017. F o r w h en n il is i;‘ j ^ d 'u i ] d (louc— w hen th e in f lu e n ces o f w a r lo an s, w a r

•txm le, w a r p ro p ag a n d a , a n d Bubm arino o u tra g e s have Ik» u f in a l ly w eighed a n d c o m p ared — th e o n ly ta n g ib le Villain w e a re a p t to u n co v er is th e one t h a t each of

Pot Gbota; ■ ,I hope Piof. Pretrelkopf ham’t'

deluded ell you-follui'Into think-;■ g tha t we arc »omc lo«t tilb e

/cr hcrp in Shoshone. .As a. riile. abirl of ua orc.Amer-

leana who epeak EnfilUh, IT nol dlway*. perfectly. But the- Prof. U mi .cxccptloD and there 1« likely to .fe.aL IcMt one Jtj every town.

So It's more "do ptiss" you waol? Well, bere’B ft few:

Uy hubby U lying on tho floor; anti another gal and myaeU ore' using hU back for a table to play ;cardo on. loddentAUy the'c& rtl' oro Quito Mlied. What aro w doing?

Answer; Playing dirty tricka, 1 him. . •Next: I ajn u<ing a broad board'

wKb which to rap a BmsU boat, before me. and In doing so, J

n "paddling my own' canoc." And lastly: Permit mo to give lu a nice. ahiBlngr dollar. In do-

ID^ this kind act, I am -’Passlog the buck." I■ Well, to quote you. •-Ih afs all; for today,. folks," '

I 'll be around agihn, soon.—Ann Tetk

^ K ^ lb d g e d in h is o w n b ra in a n d h e a r t.A s in d iv id u a ls , rao s t, o f u s gav o u p o u r n e u t r a l i ty Bome

.. iuic befo re o u r gov em m m it d id ..W o s ta r te d liy fec llog | |^ l d , : i n v o l u u t n r y s y m p a th y fo r o u c sid e o r th e o th e r.

j ' 5 .|vTFrom th a t , we p a ssed to_a m o re -o r l^ss in te n s e p a rtis - B '3 'S n K lilp . W e rejo ice d w heit " o u r s id e ” w on a v ic to ry a n d

|^ ilo ,r6 deprcPSpil w hen i t s u f f t re d a ,lo ,ss ; wo g ro w b it te r ly li|jiiidi},Tiant a t th e a tro c it ie s o f th o o th e r sid e a n d e x p la in e d

those aw;ribed t o . “ o u r s id e .”

It" cond itioned us, a s "flid-phychologis-sla say , so th a t •ap w as a c tu a lly o f fe re d to A m e rica w e cbiild

so.l.il' on i t . Tt m ad e u s f o rg e t U ia t th e n u tio u Tvliich ;'aiitH [leai'e n u is t th in k peace a n d feel-i»«»co ne w ell a s

;/l)k a h o iJ t J n . . . . ■criiii.H um o.tliinger w ill c o n fro n t n« ,\yhen th e n e x t E uro -

n .-ivar cnme.s— confron tfl u s now , forfthafc m a t te r , in bjHinlHli i-evoit. I f wc le t o u rse lv es g e t e m o tio n a lly in-

lyvJ, id e n tify o u rse lv es sp ir i tu a lly w ith- a n 'o v c r s e u s w f rtPo rcHiovJU^' th e g r e a te s t 0/ a i l b n r r io rs r to

,iitn!.'dwn Invo lvem en t in It.

f . -Ao-Cfirdiug, to ;a n n tio n a L -n o d ia t leadcir, ■ b a th iu g ;^ ^ p i l9 \villLgOi•:Th/lt IK, w h a t i s . I e f t o f them . ■

Itj- ’JChirce thousand fainilles arc-W aiting to 'b o glTcn H io in ^ tc flil8 in.Alaslcn, buf.BOmeoDe s ljo iild ;td l‘-(hera | | ^ a t '- L t a t ) i k e th is 8Uinmcr’0: i ^ \ l M ^ ' ^

, ^ - W l i6 u - W h c w ; r o L o t ' i u n p i r o s t r i k e , a goag f e a n d t W ith 'lh th o W -4 iw :a J o p lw "- -» .. tlio. gong .was

u ’i O T A ' ............. ...land Alma>« an«, lbs UWcMctiB TSiS CIMIAU, TL___Bllgl wbo aid.tfca «rmBa-VacIS«

oC tSt «»rvlc«. ]tlO CT '

Ull-KIt:. Ttd-. n40BI«« 7-7t»*-9l« •ca. bffORio cloio trlra it.Trd n taran licm a trip <« <k« cirKnt aad <akr> lU r «> dlnnfr.

I^Icr Iber a l»>VTtfo Tt4 u lu i Kny to m nnr klia. KOW CO ON WITH T lin BTOIIY

. CHAPTER X «>pE D talked on. prescnUng his

••• vicWB on w hat he called "this marrlsse business.” Ito said, "You’ve se t to plan for roarriage. Just B* we planned, years and years, for the trans-PadDc flight None ot this heady, romanUc stufli You'vo got to buUd, stone on stone, to achlevc sorocUiing tliat wUl dure without mUhap."• I t WS3 the roost unromanllc pro­posal of w hlch'thehad ever heard. And this -was Kay Dunn, who had wanted the man*of-hcr-hpart to] Bweep her off her feet and eay, "Kay, I odoro you. I can’t live

, w llhoutyour' ,I Bill when Tedliodflnlshcdtalk-I

■■ "■ ' ■ofjwer.

Slie simply cazcd a t his eyes and saw w hat she wanted to see. The toucli o{ his hand was reas* curing. His kiss, v^hcn she oaSd, •'Ye*,''welded her heart and mind.

But, even as she occcpled him, she felt ngaln tho fear that had tormcnled her before. Was Ted nsklnff her to marry him merely to make n homo for Dickie? Her mind—but not her lip*—asked the question, "Are you sure you love TOC Of do you simply want ti well- ordcred lUe. a life like the chartcd course of tho Flying Mariner?"

She did not say these things to Ted, bceausc *ho knew that they would h u r t . , At the moment she could co t doubt his sincerity.

"I do love you dearly," he peoted. "I've known It—for to long! There was a time whca I bought against IL 1 didn’t think U was lair to you."

‘Ted, you dcail" Kay said, •snuggling.closer to him. "you should never light against loving

.0 woman. When you do, you're

.iipt':

> f5 n rr '» a t ‘ 'thM e,' looWna out across the. lights of the buy,

each of them with the same thoughts—planning their fnture. For a long while neither spoke.

"UnUl death do us part," Xoyl nurm ured blissfully. . . I

" ^ d those nfo big vords/^Ted;

said. In hts wattcr-of-Iact way. "WeTl have to get down to tlio business end of It; f ir s t, .you'll have to give up your job, of course. Being tho wlfo of Ted Graham, wllh o cblld going on 0,

job big enough for o filrl like I you.” •' Kay sat tip. a bit disturbed. She hadn’t thought about leaving Ihel olr scrvlee. -But of couno Ted

right. Tho Overland to e had rules a{;&lnst employing hostcssesl who were married.■ "Dlekie adores you.” Ted ”Therell be no trouble on thatj

Pet Shooter:' You figure lt'« euentlat, I suppose, to keep on with that radio broadcasting every mem- Ing?

If not, I would appreelata very much to have you get to h— off the air. ' .

—Herrold

3 tar po t Bhota:' ' '1 turn tho radlo on balf on bour

■early every momlag to mako sure ;i don't miss tboeo flecUng three lor /our minutes of the Fot .&hot« ibroadeast. ^I ..YiTould' there be. any chance of laavtng the news dispatchu. until tho afternoon Evctlmes broadcast and letting Pot Shota bave the whoie morning period? You should try to make a deal wlUi the newr dispatch announcer,'

—M. 8.

Pot Shots:I wait patiently each day a t

9.-40-a. m. to. 9:43>/2 {alio a. m.) for you to make a (Up. In that Pot 8hot«.radlo oreetlng. Soma day, Instead of .'‘haw. QO you do," you’re o«»na slip Into ■'HOW do you do," o r “how dd YOU do” or "how do youDO." ...........'.Tell that Prof. .Pretzelkopf

that ihh Germ an-.(7)-‘dlale«t' he.write* In make* It pretty tough on Herr Pot Shotter. over •the radio.

—Jeremiah

HAH->IU8T TRY OAHLICIIdcm p . B.: ■

I’ve heard tell of tho old adsce: ‘An apple n day keeps the doctor awiiy.’i . I

I saya: ''An onibn a day'll kecpl BV 'cethearta away!’’ '

VOU'HE WISE IN NEVER SMOKINQ THEMI

Pot 8ho(*i. Did you read.about the tail-

lii 8an PratidsM who ha* j

If ho saw'my collection of . . . ropes. Why,-en« of them dates' eJear back to the MeKlnley ym palgnl

-------C. G arr-

■' VFAMOU'S LAST-LINESTrying out for football-

—ths glrU lllio athlete*! W . "- .....THE O E fm -E M ^ IN

. • :.'-T «E .T H lB O ’lf0W •

“And I odoro b io ,” nho said, slowly.

•'He’ll be happier living athomc,. . the bcach. a think wc ou<ht to send him to day tcliool, and let Ijilm bo with you a* much as pos­sible. I ’m nway .for »Ix week* sometimes—"

Sho smiled. ‘T hat's the penalty for being the wife of a pilot on the trans-Pociac fUsbt,” sho said.

list a sailor's wifcl” he told her. ,

Kay'« complela conQdenco In Ted grcv/ as they planned to- Rcthcr for the'future. "Do you like this_hoH.':o?J!_ho_BJkctl. .!50Lfourso

,1'm quite used to I t l l ’a like—myI pipe.”

“I adore every comcr In 11,'I Kay said. “H t love this room man jthan any other bccauic—youo^cd ' 'Jie to marry you here."

"Of course,” ho said, smiUn* 'J eny will have to takn up bacho-

I lor headquarters clsewhcrel”‘1 shotild hope sol” she said. *1

wouldn’t want him to .bo forever rcm ln^nc you of tho s ta te 'o f slngte-blessedricss. You bachelors can be n easel You think you're free, and you’re not'*

l*PED laughedi “Poor Jerry.I known him stocc tho war. He was a bomber. 1 suppoa*—I'sup- pose hcH be stepping o9 now ‘He always said, joking, n r r . . m a r r y as l..ng os tho boss doesn’t ' "

"But w ell lavlle him to dinner —Jotsl” *he said. "Show him what he's mlssins la overlooking wed­ded blissl'*

Suddenly Ted slapped hU thigh. "What will w e do with Sato?”

Tfio words gave K ay another, twinge of fear. .Wasn’t Ted even going to le t her r tu the house? He was so capable and cffldeiit, such an organizer, was he galos to tako ovcT.tnanogement o f th« Kit- Chen, as v e il as everytblng else?

"1 should think," K ay answered, "that it would bo a good Idea to keep Sato ft# -a house boy to do alt the atrodous tb ln g * - l l k -

washlng dishes. I'd-lndnltely pre­fer to do the cooking myself. 1 don’t relish tho thought of coming home to hear Sato sayj ‘Dinicr leady. Pork and.beans. Cbttee- fresh, m'ado only day before yca- tctday.’” , ■ .• "I would hale to lose him." Ted' u ld , laughing. "/iHcr nil, he’« been with mo 10 years.’’

TTAY had 'th'o unhappy thought that Ted owned so mueh In

life that he had acquired by hablH - • • a id , .^ Y o u

lai^ 'a hesrlng?’’ - - , . Ted laughed. .‘’Only a lilUe mouse tha t comes out and watches : mu while I work on the t /ropDot I've become oltachcd to hlmi”

"Haw long has this attadmicnl lasted?” she asked. ‘I f ho «aU the curtatna—” Sho made tho fa- mltlar gesture of cutting one’s own

Ineck. "And there’s.the budget—”I ."Oil, w c don’t need to ta lk about I tliat We have on expert on bud­gets a t the office. Besides, bodgcls •arc one of my hobbles. I.loveto [make them. At the offlco.mlno aro Otways foot-proof.”

, Kay said, " I tee. You don't raakeouftho'rul4s"Cf?ananeffar- the nylng personnel—the rules for their private lives?"

"Of course I do,” he said, serl- ouily. Every ono a t tho airport I knew the stem discipline tha t was jlmposed on the pUots of Trans- ; Pacific Airways.

But suddenly ho smiled and that smilo reassured her. He said, "Do YOU know,-planning our married

I life. I’d almost foq^ltcn to men­tion the honeymoon!”

She said, ,‘Tedi” And tlien •* moment later, "I hope you’re not tho kind of man who wiU forget your first wedding annlversaryr*

His eyes were glowing. ‘TVeH make the trans-Paelfle flight to­gether. 'We’ll be married hero and e p ltu k on tho Flying Mari­ner, my ship, for our hontymooo!

[Honolulu, Gtiam, Manila)”' Kay’s eyes were glistening wllh tears. "Ob, Ted. You’ve made me so happy! I dlda’t dare to think about It—-but I do want to drradfnlly to take tho FacLQc llleht wllh you! Think what It. wIU mean to me—to us—in latcr«ycar3.

.Our honeymoon sptn t o n 'th o Mariner and In all those lovdy plates. I t ’s your life, and It wlU. be mine! You're wedded to the air. I’m wedded to the air. We’ll be together out therp—c^th e bloc

\V A BM tlM ^N — Thir unon* DOuneed B ltu iL ^ behind all,this current pb«e!iMid war talking'Is tha t no (Uttrcan think of a single practicaT th l^ 't o do about I tv -y

A eurlousiinvcatlgator ashed IB peraonfl In high offleial life, tn the d!pk>maUe'came and in tho profes­sional pcoco’movement for wild suggeatiaoB'flf’atcps to bo taker to establish world pcacc. ’The'Mr, swero- totolett 8,000 words, butl

•• have been.told In one. ' 'Offlclally,,t6e-g........ - ............ ..

to tho.forthcombiff pan-American olllonco os.afatep In the right dl- recUon. bu t unofficially I t must be conceded i t will have llltlo effcet upon the European or for eastern war thrcata. Otherwise, them — noTaeaa aprouting In the off! mind. No hope of ft

No treaties. ?fo nlllimeca.

IlMPOSSimUTlES— Unofficially, (here Is a

Uon that, U tl *

Iwduld I--lioow i-'thls- ---------tCT aerloosly uodertako which might M readily

lead to wor as peace. Ukewlae, the posfiihUlty of on Angto-Amet- lean 'nlllanco might ' mako world behave la agreed to bo ImpoBsIblllty from a dome*tIo po-| llUcal standpoint. There, Ideas,

........... ............. ....... ■(>-on the 1Padnc—under the stars!^And be *0 proud of y o a ”

"And 111 b« to proud 0! yr>'>'' be sold.

. (To B« ConUimed)

M I S T Q i R Y of Twin Falls City & County

15 TBABB A O O -

Satunliiy evening a t a deUghUni 'party announcing' the engagement and opproochlug' marrlago of her daughter, Lois, to William Dunn Annett. Saa Jose, Calif. Tho wed­ding will take place early In Octo­ber. . ^ ■

Bridge was enjojra during _ _ eretilng the prlw a for high and low score BOlnif to Mlsa Eula Fpx, nod Urs. EXhel G ray .. Mlsa Groce Bell and'Mlso Grace Bryant entertained w-Ithplimo'and vocal selections. A two-courso supper was served af> .ter tho gamca.

Mrs. Stew art'w as assisted'la en- itertalslng. by her daughter, Mias iGeorgla Stewart ond Mrs. A. Dor- '-----Johnson. - • •

7 Y E A R S AOO—• Sept. Its, XOM .

A party , of Twin FalU. hleh achool boys composed of Paul Ta­ber, Dave GIrdncr,'Lieni Chapin and Harry Benoit, carried off a neat

I aura of money In prtiea Saturday a t Filer. Taber and Glrdner won first and oeeond In the free for all race. ’Taber also won f irs t In tho high jump, and second In tho broad lump ond high kick. Tho Twin Falla bdya with tho aid of some of the Flier young men. also won the relay raco between the two oppos- ■ • II teams. '

[•jfou May Not Know That—

TJic .Rlotc land board hns sold fo r . $70,000 florno.S-,

. WW,000 hOQ?(l|fcet of •\yhito,: piuo tim ber located ' o n ' Soldier crock, c as t' o f P rie st ifllto in 'n o rth Idaho , to tho W nm oiid JIn tch Co.

I Burley Ju n io r C CC Enrollm ent S l^ e d

b u h i o t ; sJptT ao (specisiV A junior CCC. enroUment wlll be started hbro about. O c t 'l,. frnd wU) be open to yeunff-men from 17 to 3Sr^du<Ive, accordlnff to>W. 9. fioman; dlriotw^aT'eouhly relief,' ' To b« ' aUfflMo for th« ennn- m tnt-th« Bcplteaat m ust.ba.ttom b ftm tly o irrellr/. xaost he.tuem- ployed M am uW b t s ln g l« .. . , ; r

Much b u been, broadcast about. let. you do all the dlnuolns.whilelthey go 1

those who think th a t nothing con hoppen to THEM or THEHt fam- Ulea, although'they n a y no t heed.

l i r t night’s paper gave an' ac­count of B ' ^ b t " death. The child

walking on the road and tboi ec said Bo couldn’t see because!

of. 'I r'.cariI know, th a t every-,

one who read that, shivered. Every, decent driver sits tensely a t his wheel a t nlgbt, o r even in the twi­light, because he sever knows warn around a curve or over the brow 01 a hill, be w in suddenly meet a pedestrian . U theiie is no cutyo or no rlse,'ancther..car wllh'.lamps ah ln ln r.ln bis eyes, pulls a blank’over vtsion quite - - effectively. - . . . • •

T ils mimnjer, we, who drlvo _ carefully • as anyone could, have had chock a fte r . shock of - this kind. One night we mot tt whole fainlly, father, mother and four lltuo children, nil'atrunS out on. the rood ,outside a .small town. They .never will know how cloae they c o n e ' to death; tha t they

itlrely litvlslbla to ua uhUI . - ....a w lU iln fo r ty fce to f them. On the dther lane were dozens' of approaching carB,- nod - to . have' swerved,. even If there bod been' time, would'have-bMn a shambles.

Mlslcadinif'Slffn# :How wo oavcd th im . I -d o ’not

know. They did ho t.ao raue i oji step one foof 'out of.,tbe;.way:Faclnjr us, they tonld.ae.............but either they did no t 1— . danger, .o r wens misled .uy algna all through the dUtrlct; whleh sold. ."Walk.on th» left sido of the roadi fftclne .t«rffIc"...Inaldo of.

iflve minutes, we m e t another three ' -boys, . nrai-ln-arm, oblivious to death. "This'

r think the nnttvejJ of .thaf .stretch of country, were pinnlni^ ' t l ^ hope o t long,-me on .those;

.. The signs •aro a ll- r ig h t .It-IS: sjfcr-to face. tTattle.:thon to. turn: om’b' boclt,' of course. 'Cutr, ^thai wcrdliis' fa 'too'.assurlnE. A-.IW*! should bo'Added to wnlk bealdei the rw d ,;ao tv o n v lt,’,'a fter dark.; T bo'day'w tll co]n<),'.nud should.M. hUti,.-when. Bidewalka ^ k all roads." Most;', joads; have Jove!

So. I tirge every parent to Ull chUdrcn'to dMble tbeir cauUon after supper. .To think of any car with lights coming their way, sudden death. To gJve i t as * a berth a s *a express train, 1 wider. I pray dally tha t tho wl systeiq of ear*vislon a t nlgbt n .. . , be changed. Tho db^ct-iay Idea! Is •outworn. Inefficient and evi ' vletou*. Where ttro the e x p ^ 1 such things? • •

Jiard “Bhpulderf; wblcb prdvldo averags footing, cxccpt In -w e t w eather.'but-tha.tem putlon Is tow e?ther.'but-tha .......,'ko«p.'.'to'.lha ;cbncr«tcV..

n igh tv - A b i ld ^ - ..I.uift. not .rtotlpg fdt.',ttai.aoleft

1st ;,'I?edMtrI*aif .•Mvfl..toa.-|«w

t^-so]M !orjirlneip&.' .'A fter-tb«’' 0un'-goes .dotvn;

_________

1 t 'h c l

Public Foruin

» s 5 i“ a ' s . ' s . . r s aBuat.r. or M»tt«

I- ; P A U I i 'M A L L O N ’ 8 — :

:N E W S :B E H IN D :T H E ,v

jU BieluslTe Bvenlsg Times Dally Report «e thePasUttOTing BventslnthsNaUcn’sCspltal

an Expert Interpreter and Commntator.• (Conrlgbt, 1085, ^ Paul M ^ ) _ ;;

cxpendllurea act,' witho.ut tcIUni whenco their money comes. -

The last accoimtlng showcd ro ceplU-of ^7,000, o f which W.OOO. waa a loan from tbe central com* talttoa of the party. Tho^ve 'rao l the S.OOO thus were not. Ideriu- fled. The anti-saloon league used tho sane device, keeping.Its..or- gontzatioQ and ltd campaign com­m ittee separate.

Incidentally, tho Communists say they are going to spend a lu a rter of a mlUion captallstlc dol­ors In their campaign, .but do lot say whero tha t Is coming from .

| l t did everything paadblo’for I n i ^ prisoned LnnTcnce Simpson' In ^ nmny, but Its acUvlttes would

0 bera more. elfccUva If there

g world BllQ a anyniing n

|bo \w treno t a Con

A g « d Iniside story of leglsla-' VC ways nnd means Is ' told

around tho robust political -char­acter of' Senator Joo Hobinson by two outstanding Washington' ncwa

” Catledge-ajid-Jo.—

Lost eoul of the campaign la Democratic-Senator Copdand. Ho has.not been aalied to say anythlng.and won’t be. Ilia de­scription of btmself la that ho -Is "Bot.a Republican, not a New Dealer, atUI o Democrat, and Tcry bUIL”

I M U R T A U G H........... .........IT discusBCd U negvUvc>—extension of army and navy

DEEP STUFT—Just why the Communists chosi

> support President Roosevelt Is _ question which baa not only been annojing New Dealer*, bu t some CommualsU as w ell Many a red- eyo hoa walked out on U s party because of the chango In line.

They have a candidate of their, ,» n . -Mr. Roosevelt has renousc-|

iCd th tlr support. Tbs whole thing .adds up tn unsatisfactory answers;' ' A Ukcly non-poUtlcal explana-j tlon Is. offered by the SodaBst; candidate, Norman .:Themaa. He notes tha t the Rcd’change of Ua«................... — ‘ -'-•■nrUy after .the!_________ _______ Earl BroTi>dcr,

9 ( tu n cd f ta a Russia. He s u s ^ ta decision la thertfore. n 'rcsu lt

. Russian foreign policy rather than domestic poUUcs.

.■What Russia /ears most right ts war w ith Japan and .Oer-

maey. They eensider it Inevitable. The progress «f American. Com­munism wouM be a minor '— sideration Ifor what is left of it, faces Jspa-

oBB and Russian bayonets.The Red* need allies, and appor-

lentJy are pkiylng Mr. Roosevelt! |for a suecor.

!LiD-srrnKO^^^A boiling series of personal

and pcreonne) situations exists within the commerce depart­ment, and there seems to ba some question whether the Ud' can-bo kept on untU election.

.A reorganlratlon of two or more bureaus In’; tba t depart­ment Is considered Inevitable. '

Certain aenators are arottstd bfcauao- no sbnhe-up has devtl-

•oped in the air dlvlsim, and al- b m u se Mr. Roosevelt delayed appointment of Ui» mMtlme commission, with trouble devel­oping again on the FaeUle wa­terfront.

LO A N S- ■ V 'The Commuoisit may have a I0.

Ito leom about American politics,' but they bavo already- found

— to comply with tha c

T. U. In Evanston, III., gave a talk to tlio high achool .studenta Wed- ■neaday on "Alcohol Education." ISho later addressed the W. C. T. U. a t th» Methodist church. A number of Hansen W. C. T. U. members were p resent Mrs. Blev­ins, Hansen, had charge of tha

'The Seagull girls of tha i ^ a r y ; aasoclatlon surprised tbelr leader, Mrs. Laura Puckett, a t' her homo Tucsduy afternoon. They w na nc* componied by the ir president,. Mrs. • Thelma iM . They brought andserved their own -lunch,------- r -------

A large crowd was out a t the M. I. A. opening jnoetlrg Monday nlgbL President Leon PlekcU.tooh

-An -introdttetoBr program was given, demonstrating the pro- gnun for the year. ' A eceno from, a coe-act pUy, ‘‘Congrt«8lonal,"'by. i«lx membtta -waa itv«ri." 'olsd: a - I p l^ oa "Hobby" given by five' ^members. A dancing demonstra-. tlon was given by Mrs.'Leoh Pick­e t t A retold stoiy, ."Bad Kevs," was given by Juno. Peck.. Mrs.- .Albert Corless song a'-solo and !rtod -pwtry dottog the eycnlhg.

Fred Gamer and two » n s , 'lM * laid sad l^ynn, moved. last ..wecH .from UUaer' a t the Lester. Staley ifhnn to tho :oId lloycs' -bbme In 'Murtaugh. >

- U r. and Mrs. Van M ld d l^ a r t and thre« daughters, M ary Jane, Xlessle and 'V dm a, Lamar,-Colo./ have arrived at'.the Millard Chaulk homo and o p e c t to make their homo here. •,

The . water in tha MUner I<ow. l i f t canal wlU bo.'turned out on O c t 1. ■■ ■ ■

U r. and Mrs.. Everett Goodman oad small daughter, who have soendlog their vocation beiia with Mr. Goodman’s ' p a r e n t ^ ' ' a n d Ur*^.WlUam^-Goodman,:havi>:ieft . fo r their homo in Preacot, Art&. af­ter a two weeks* v is it - - ‘

Dr. Moyu, Ogden, was a- wcek« end guest t o and Jp?.; David

‘Mrs. Edith ^ tea '-acco 'm puled her • daughter,. Tboro,: to;. Provo ■ where she w ill-en ter college. '

APPnEClAflON ■ lEdltor Evening Times,[D car:B lr:....................

hearty and unanimous vole . Twin Falls Ministers' as­

sociation’ In their recent annual meeting,' I have )Ren -autborizod t« wrttc this note of appreclotloQ to you for your generous coopem- Uon ln the matler of church pub- llelty during the past.year.

Wft tru st..th a t our cordial.'. . hips sha ll. conlinue' Id • the

. and that, w e' shall be' able . , rork together effccUvely forthe common good.''' ------

Sincerely yours. .ROY fc. BARNETT,

. .- (Retiring - secretary). T nin Falls MlalBters’

' ' Association. ' .-Twln'Fsll*;.idsho '.Sept 23."J03fl .

TA xiReductioa For . C assia ScKeduled

. B irn iM f,' 6cpt.'25 : (8pectal)-i Csjula county will have a : tax diiptloa ot.'20 per-cent..ov*r," year. and. spproxlmateiv 49'ceat «ver..'X83<i- aeeordlDg t o '__icounty commlsslone»,'who,aet the !tax levies a t their 'meeting - lu t

..ISBOUSApd'jttoMWlIl.................. :l«vy< riM tyeaf I t was:eo.0.ffim-w.<tb'.4 2 ,B:mllbi state

. ___ ____________ _ tookflo ficV:lBii-ceao«niliig .ths.-TeslgnatloB' o( :W. R.'^StMrzaan, county. tr«ajmr'- iwlM wiU taVis f n^Solse -Oct x I .'.-.im' elK^-’KUdge;: hlghwajr ..a itrleU. andIndependent sc h S l’d

Page 5: Ghiriese Triq^ iii Move Nearer Vital Test% SKariglim ...newspaper.twinfallspubliclibrary.org/files/Twin... · , ;VQIi.XtS:. NO. 147-t5 CENTS. TWIN PALLS, IDAHO,. FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER

hc5;25, 193(1

I D A i FALLS TO

' r i r s f2 4 in Bremer'a Program | Plannod for Ew tcm Part'

' W S ta te ' . '

t. 25 nuu—The larg-

here yaitcrday. j»Georgo A. Bremer, form er Jer-.

omo realtor and subdivider, will

l ie ^ o g e r a l^ g aa t

Zi in Idabo FalU H« will co iu tn ic t.24 modern

dwelltnei, a t tm uvemffe .cost of 53.000 each. In Itlabo Falls alone, iWdral houalBsr.hcadquartera an­nounced. P H A ofllelala said his houBtaff plum for Boise, Twin rolla and Pocatello wcro n o t yet definitely made.

Bulldlnjr of the homca w in bfl financed througli tbe F H A — Brchllectaral plana under F H A -------

a will bo drawn

Construction wlU begin in Idaho Falla BMt week. Tho subdivision and conatrucUon wUl no t bo com- plelcd for n t least, thrco moDlhs.|

IN RbXTO WESTERN FEATURE

IDAHO EVENING TIME S. TWITJ FALLS. IDAHO

i . v

F L A W S i E T|Domocrat‘Ralljr a t Jerome-Is|

Attended by Leaders and 300 Banqneters

OBSTACLES STDLL BAR PATH OF eOMWHEBCIAL TELEVISION] F A l F A iL lE S

log today and Saturday Ibo Itozy theater.

AT IDAHO

SATUnDAT, SETT 20 P .M . - 0:00 Keejtsahes 0:16 Low White, orsaniat 0:30 Evening Tlmea sew s flashed

- C:45'Lawh:nco Tlbbcf vocalist - 7;00 Wallica by Eddy Duchln or-

cbcstra.7:1B Adventures of Jonglo Jim 7:30. Worldwide transradio newa

flaahta.7:40 Btudebakcr chnmploos.8:00 Paul Robtaon vocalist 8;16 Fcerteas quitrt«tte 8:30 American Faioily Iloblnson 8:4B Billy Dalo ,D;00 Aaibaasadors t n m Rodlo-

land;. ’10:00 E venbs req u u t hour

• . 11:00 Ambr-—*— ----land

,11:30 Elcvtn - thirty Saturdayl night prognun. • '

12:00 Slgnjj^ off time

SONDAV, SEPT. 21- - 'X . . I L ------ ------ ............. .........

. 10:00 Plckena Bisters- 10:lC.lUsdlag the Comlea .10:80 Brian ]Ln»raw« quartette i 10;43 W artags PernisyJvanlan* U:00 Keepsakes. .UOB JUn Und Bob In' na^^roUa U:30.Jeroina’Kcm aelecUons H :i6 Royal Choral-aocloty,'.P. U . - ................

, 12;00 Btag.,Crosby popular vocflU

1 from .Radlo-

theatci _______shown tn “nigh Tenalon" wlUi Briaa'Donlevy, Qleoda Fam U and Uelen Wood. Tba story la bu e d on Uie adveatai«« of the

• •• ‘troublo - Bhooten’*who repair the break, la — nlstity cables connecting Uio continents of the irorld. The program Is completed vrith "Undenea Kingdom”, No. 0, cartoon and n n n . Comlns Sim- day to tbo Xdabo U I'randa Lederer In “Ooe JBalny After­noon" with Ida toplno.

ter a t a meeting Uoaday .About W w«n»-pre«>cnl.-Mni,- "■ iry, Ban-Dltgo, and Mm. a

In Falla, .were guests. Prof. ink Howard of the.Albion nor- 1 opolie on "Symbolism.''' Re-

, JEIIOUE, Sept, 25 (Special) — 1 AsBurauccfl of Democratic victory i th is fall U there la a coniinuonco of ■eonccrted effort on the p ir t of all members of tho party were stress­ed a t a mbnslcr Oii>to-Vlctory banquet aUged lost evening a t V ic , tory theater under ousplcca'of tho I Voung DemocraUo club, with nnl Attendance of 300. I• Leaders of the party In Idaho took part In the program, and

jspecdics prolftlng. Uio New aiid tbo atnte admlnlatinUon . . . . , glven'by Son. Jamco P. Pope, wbo ,talked on farm prices; Bep, Worth Clark, wbo stressed work of Uio Young Democi. .. Stato'Chalrman Ira J. Taylor,.wbo rccountecWils rcccnt visit in Wash- iQgton and predicted an' over-, wbelmlng succeaa of the party ln| the nation as well as state; Ben Davis, Pocatnllo. wbo delivered the keynote address; Mrs. C. Ben Ross,' iviio brought greetings from Gov-smor Ross, unable to t ----------Elalph J. Davis, Boise, p Ihe state Toung DemocraUo group! and a number of candidates. '

{EDITOR'S NOTE: , This l» the Jlrit ol a series on t« 'ev *•Ion experiments fn the Phlla-. delphla area and progress in lha development cf, visualbroadcasting,)____

BY JOHN F. FRANKIBH , Philadelphia OU;i—Television ha Ireached the atogo of satiafactory- ireceptlon over short distances, but

lUitlons •

l ^ o r e vliual broadcasting will belpatents. similar to that whicheomm«clSly ‘*>0 “utomoblle induGtry,

n«-»nk dm.-clonmcota have mndelln order to give all cooperatingIt S L for e S btncfll of theirrtric^t broadcaatlnff and rccclvlngjcompcmora- research, Skinner Icqulpment capable .of reproducing »ald.Images several miles away wllhi

of certainwave lengtiis exclusively for tele­vision. •

4. A selection of programs e int the piibllo will bo able t

Irecelvo a hlRh caliber of entertnij iment regularly.I 8. Low coal receivers and moi Iccocomical broadcasting equip-'

aistonce v. . _ ................ plans of thesi families In cnabUng ■ them to oulckio reach a self-sup- i porUng basis,••

Market Gains and Crop Harvestj Aid EehftblUjation, '

.Says Director

_ Tbo radio Industry hopcii‘y o^ rad cs 'm ustT fl ovcrcomoj^ of all television

virtually tho clarity of home Uon pictures.

' ' - rcccnt

Ipcrlmcntal'station W3XE in PbU- adolpbla was received with clnrlty Iby a group of newspapermen ob­serving television under home Madlllona a t suburban Rydal,

. history of_____ tlooo tbo discovery ofCbuk flable, In tbo- new early American rom uee, ■mte Gear-

UoUrmod's n n s te i^ tro k a of cutUTf for tJUe year. Miss Cratrfoitl. iB. the title roUv

2-o“'iS5“S S ? inW ili

6:00 Marie D ron 1 ■ K lddlu

•,0:30,Evening ligh t I.'<1:00 Fleming: smd Townsend

•colists.' ' ' • . I0:15'Charles.Vagabond and - hi*

i>Mie Control orchestra 0:30 Victor Salon brcbestra' e:4S'Jim MlUer and Cbaa. Fai 7:OOKtopsal«'M'

lu Dorothy Sec. Pori

U) when she aUppeS on tho new ._ .a « e on the city rtreeu , was weU enough to leava for her hems last week, although she baa to wain on c n itc b - -

M d 'H ra 'ia c k C h n r^__ and Mr*. Charles. Kramon.

3an FnuiclK0.'have antved here - ,r a .v is i t wiUi Mr. and Mr».

,2>r. and Mrs. W. K. Walker, Ma­

i n , CaJif- formerly of Burley, are bere-TtsiUng with .Mrs. Walker's Mient«,:Mr. and Mra. H. A. Gro-

- •— nV tt-W M ks Is building ne on his acreage i y. . Ho plans to ha

tWs fall. .Tiney, Burley, and

- Sehenk, Hoybum, w era -----here th ls-w eek .a t.tho home

ox Jud^ '_^H ^^.W . Tuchtf, who

-Theso'lncluded Ira -H . Masters, running for secretary of. slate; Urs. UyrUa Enklng, Gooding, jecking re-elecuon an state treas­urer; Charles Gosoctt. candidate, [or lieutenant governor, anil Alfred PVaaler. Don-jurUoan candidate for the supremo court.

A message of f e t i n g and con­gratulation was read from James A. Farley, naUonal chairman. Six lU to officers of tho state Young Democratic clubs wero in attcnd-

•rora an tho s 'ure^ding'M untles!Julian BollenUne, Jerome, was

master of ceremonies, nnd Sen. William A. Fctera was toast­master. Irven 8. Robertson' Dem­ocratic county chairman, present­ed tbe county and legislative can- didatea

.■ Eolertalnroent ,Rep. Hany- Barry, Buhl, Ic'd Id

community . Dloging and Charles Hawley’s orchestra of Russell Lono provided muslcat aclectlons during the program which was arranged by the members of tho executive cammlttea of tlis Young Democra­Uo club to'whom trtbuto was • by aeveral of tbe speakers fo dertaklng. and carrying to a sue-! ceiaful conclusion tb s outstanding [pouacal-rally of-thB fall campaign

Regret was esprcsied a t tho In- ability of Bordlla W ..aarlc, candi­date for governor, Govomor Ross, land others to be present

;s of a portrait as It was recelv- on the homo set and tho result

revealed remorkabtj/ clear repro­duction. Headlines^ oa a news­paper page wcro legible and ob-| servers read tho correct time fromitho fBco of a pocket waUh - .....'miles away.

Set To Bo Improved Desplio tho approaching prac-

Ucallty of television, the Radio Manufacturera-oasocioKon— h a s

- any attem pt >to place it|______commercial market unUltho product Is perfected.

James M. Sklnnor, chalrroan of tho tciovl:rion. tommicteo o f ' pie aasociaUon, lUtcd five objectives which must.lK achieved before the average citizen may sit In 1 " homo and seo .the performers hears oa the radio. They are:

1. National opcraUcn under_ basic set of opeclflcations i . , standard broadcasUng and receiv­ing seU, to bo used facturers.

2. Clear-cut. well defined im-

‘ “ 'Natlonwldo eoveragi resentalion by Federal conamuol-

SHOSHONE”, Bill Jacljion has left fo r Seat- llo to enroll in the Unlveraity ' Washington.

Gooding Sm ith has left fo r Cali- forola where he wiU attend Stan- fo r t university the coming year.

The Tuesday Bridge club met ot the home of Mrs. Martbi Gamer

. . . tbousnnd rehabilitation 1 families in Idaho. Oregon nnd Wnslilngton arc repaying loans, made them for llvestocU, fced.i iced and neccasary capital goodsl a t the rato of more tluin J2.000 ' day, reporta W alter A. Duffy, r

.glonai director. reaetUcmcnt a' used in the dcmonstra-',„ini3tratlon. Portland. CollecUons!

of September IS. totaled }17S,- 5. or approximately 00 per cent

of pnymcntA due on RA loans."Substantial gnlns In farm

prices, marketing of this year’s] crops, genemlly improved econc- ' Ic conditions and in some cn bonus payments, have served unusually sound security for habllllaUon loans made to or Impoverished farm families," Duf­fy said.

Idaho PajTi Broken down by atates, n e . . ,

port sliowa rcpaymcnta totaling: '*38.302 in Oregon, JCO.C02 in Ida- ■ho and J78.453 in Washington. The jOregon figure does not Include re- Ipaymenta on-loans made under the ' 'd rehabllltntlon corporation.

"Wliilo rchabllltaUon loans, leraglng about J500 wero made . . . 'rcpttymcij{-on.«-tR'ct.to /Jv«-y«ar. schedule, over 100 loans have been repaid in full and over 3S0 famil-

have made advance payments ................... .tion." declared Duf-

Tlio — ___ - - ...................on a t Rydol, typical of tlio exper-j menial rcecivers, appeared a t firsti slanco to ho a largo conzoio type' radio. Tho front of the cabinet: held two dials—ono for tuning sound and tbo other for •’focus­ing" Iha Imar.e, but engineers explained that commercial sets] probably would bring In Iwlb pic-' cure and sound on ono dial. -

Tbo underside of a hinged lid' . 1 tho consolc was a btrge mirror, jltaised to an anglo of 45 degrees. It. reflected to llstcncr-observers Iho ImBgcs, whlcli appeared on the flat end of a cathode ray tube, set In the top of the console.

Tbo pictures, broadca.^t in re- ;rae, return to 'thelr normal poal-

,_on In the mirror which alsc eliminates the necessity of placing the catbodo ray tube In a horiioo- lal position, thereby r ^ u l r i n i f j

Festive SeattleAwaits Gppliers ^

SEATTLE, Sept. 25 fUTJ—Tbo *• national-champion University of • Minnesota footb.iU nquad, whlcii emerged rafely from V disastrous MlRsouia, Mont, hotel fire, was to’ an^vfl he rc 'B tro o n today for a m'ajor Intersectlonal te.it against Ihc strong University of Washlng- ;lon eleven Saturday aftcrjioon.- Seatllo was In a gay football

ood aa It prepared an elnboralo welcome for Coach Bemle Blerman and hlH sensational Minnesotans who have gone through three un- dcfcaled seasons.

’The MinntsoUnn ruled -lO-S jfavorlle.1, but the odds wcro es- jpecUd to lengthen to 10-5 before |l,Time time.

SrEAUER ADDKHSSF^ CLUB JEitOME, Sept. 25 (Special) —

Paul O. Sampson, traveling <Jlet- lllan. spoke on the "Joy of t i l t ­ing” a t the Tuesday noon meeting |Qf the Rotary club. He urged tho ■ unc of niare, fresh fruit In the [diet, streaning benefits that can 'bo obtained from no other foods.

[larger console.' (Next: 'Obtaining clearer

ooes.)

High School ■ News

show Q marked Incrcoso d next four montlis when the m jorily ot the f irst Installments a

' ’Rehabilitation supeivUors

sodatlon of the Twin Falbj high school Wednesday. They rodo to tbo country' homo of Eva Ruth Ward where they .had a plcnlo supper. Miss Dorothy Call andMiss J iary Gillespie, sponsor, •-----gucJrts.

Regular work of the. mixed I chorus class will begin next week • following completion today of

chorxa class tryouts. Loyd ^ Thompson, chorus supervisor, . _ nounced. A program will bo pre-i scpled In October by a special

Seasonal pbins of the Blue ’m rl

. . . .OonsUtetteo, tc.Oia toda who sonepB kcr o tt ber feet and tsto » . marriage xrtilch proves a

ib a v * ,r» e t<r the.tnU verslty of to 'enU r school.

Roy lloi^iirthv -Provo, and Earl Ingram, Wephl. Utali. a re visiting Mr. tntf M n. Ingram.

,thU week. Mrs. Paul S. Haddock f l“band Mra.'Hnrbin D. H rlst rtcdved

'f irs t and second high fH zttf. Mrs. by PresKTcnt Meric C. E. Tuiloch received the guest :priic.

Tbs Methodist Ladles aid soele- ty met Wednesday a t the F . H.Goodbig home. Ilostesses were

|Mt3. Gooding and Mrs. C. E . ’Tul-

i' A church dinner honoring Rev. land Mrs. Cook, was given Wed-

' h u ^ h **Gui!tf‘’

presided ( Nelson. Helen

ing held Saturday Ip Filer, andl annoiraoemtnt was mnrin of the I annual F a n Conference to be held la Twin Falls, Nov. 7. Chalmten iof tho commlnoes were announced [a» follows: tervlce, Anna Joe ' ' ' son; sodal. Lsella AUsbeiry;, Jeaa CIsrJt: fuMlclty, “ "Hsasen; camp^-Heleo MeKay.......emcnlaf, Alice-'Peavey; music.' Marjorie Driseetl; prograjns for, co m in g 'y w , Marjorie Jane Hal-'

lUto.evening a t a

Youth Fined $100 For Drunk Driving:

F lnoo f «|00 and ce^ts.

Mis» Ada H aw ter, :wbo «In the tu to rs on - a fo r lts -L . D.. S; •chunai.

The Gbsoner.cl&B«.oC tbe VL.I. |A. wa* . - -

7-4B Ray Noble and hlq orehe»-who iMve.been-viiittBjg beret'base

ptea of gvQty ia the . lOf Guy .T. Si4ope o a charges of:drun){en <WYjag'. l a . ................ -idriyer'a tieensa’ waa ivoked for a perlod of ono year. In default ,« t payncDt o f . the fine

----- nth haa-been-Jodged la tbo

iiDor*

e stake-M. I . A. rdad.,shew waB.bd<tmioraday evsnlng In’the Deelo L .'D . S. ehnreh. ‘

r tn g tim •*allOT».'bn)ug»t-;th«____e)« tO' KawaU ta nesit. Vka-lleJe Is Hawifltta for- 'llW e pea.-"

8:00’The Oklahoma boys " 8:16.Dorana’fl Knseaible . . .

8:30 Radio Mao OW Tims melo- ■ ;.,dies

8:16 WWsperinfe Stringa . . .,. O :0aNew.-nadioland • Ambaaoa-

• dors’' ' ■ :•••• ■• 10:00 Bvealng-requeat hour

a i:00 ,Blgnlng„o« Umo.

■ f *8 '

6 ;00' Fann<ir»'-brealt£8»t .club : ;.'0!W TunaW rangttrav:.

.■. ;«:30 Farm ana Hon»e flaJhes

, — (t »on-,iiritJi-,hl*'gra Mis.'C. M. Obei}Mltser.f:.

Burlty G ra o g O v b sM n ee tln gTuesday'evening, 'wmL; 33 .w e » i ' era present Flasa were made, for _ Booster n lght-lo be-held iso, the same n igh t as t i a t of, ICbireroont.-grsnge,-

"JEROME.. ^ '^ .- 'a u d Mra. a i. 'N .‘'Dl03»,,V as their guest’thta v ttH .'itt .’!-

M n.'Snmer Robln«m an<t:chlldi Granl..Ncl>.,'.

T b«:wrylag of hof.-iimelea _ ,------------ m ty Bch6p\;ewwr«a'j*7ffl:

itN ov. l .';,e

, 7:S6 p e w r i f ana a t ^ o ; j * n f f ;:■ 7 ;i& -S in b ro a o - l i la etchestra

-. 8:00 ’Sol - K ' B right •■Hawallaaa- • '-BrX5-'R0bbi;»»a A;N<:w-OlI«ani

jbe^-^aboutN

SuthJi^offlelt thtsweok:far..Goodr itaK.-'Wbero:‘lhoy. '»rfU-.enter;6olJ^ •: " > ^ u e i;-^ n U ^ ;,! e f tr th ls :w e e k <lM-:po(atello;.Vw* ................ .

■'-Hyis.Onintnjrmarkefr qiwUtiotw;

, . ,i«!46 Momteff'tnBlody contestv-.;.

r.r.’;-ai?»,;Qwe.‘‘Aus,tls--4)ppulSr.v.(^;

; ■ :ai^B;;Co'a!cort-j^^

. BcrdK finsMaWd - (

2 "Q Tbipn-y Ooraiy da r a w -|

13 jrvn>rid j6d?-trfaan

3 Sr t / m s a 14 -

'ha’ lu ia 'n o t for .--aS

Ptopeovit GroiirersW e ^ v e F i rs t E a n d .I iif« m a tio n 'on E&rrestliiE Fopcoxn. | B o a 't P icl& i^/^o^ .E arly — D on’t Tiiresh i t a t A s j Time;

OoU XTs__ Onr F ie ld Wan W ill O laS lj AdTiM Yon.. W e B u y C om on th a Cob.

GLOBE SEED and FEEl>. COMPANY

One o f the tnureUng men says to Jim Nell, our department atore| man, "Jin), thU U Jttat tha kind ot imerclmodlslog; th a t I have felt for

(8 >iraa the th in s tha t woa go­to- be a nteceas. By getting

-_ .,to tJ!0 edge of town where you have Iota of parking room ■ ^

.....-— r e a t a nd t s -pensea are ao t ao extremely high. :and whcra you can cut the price of, ^merchaadlaa down so dovtn right]

•lat people couldn't halp but' W«U.'cir. we a r e a b u n

____ Wednesday of th is .w eek ',iwe transacted o«er M.OOO worth of busioesB. U.COO of this xaosey" a m ti froia FfaoteUo coontxy and, *200 • Irom ^tu5^ n,7eo fttao arou&d Twin Falla and the batence from -varioii? placea. ' « 1 » « - ' doUara camo from Nampa and . .. » 0 0 w as for roofing material sold, is Twla Palls oonsty, and various anaUer aiM imta,too,,nur ‘ “

r n adm it th a t thU Sa.th'e largest Idayr.we. have had alnee we c------to Tw inFans. O u rn o to rsQ

Oba Well la s t bent way over and w hlapered'ln my. ear, "Don't fop- rcA 'to teU them about tha Eperry! p o e try and dairy-feed that-haa' Jurt arrived.-: 1 lu s t almost UM yoQ th a t I am aliUnc on tho door atop o r 31m wouldn't have to lean OT«r a o 'fa f -to vh i^ ie r in my ear. I ^ s o one' pleco g m phonea sura ;B» -the buekelberry; - We have . 2 o r lo a d a . ot, m otor, oil', comiag'.to Tw ta.PttU ».at-the.j>f«aM t tmw, And one carload to AcateUo.^'We unloaded a cariood of shlngla^ and lumber la Bohl iJSls, w « k aad-we are.dlvertlng a c ar of. ahlngJea to Idaho.ValTs- I t X.wasn't so tired i;*alBht;tiy to-thtaH otaometUng. funny;:^but when a msji’a eyebaUa Mhs-lM-iSon’t.iauch fe4.1j)(«.'aay>'

. ^ aa 1 'w I ' c u 'tbelp.',-;b'ut„'tianJ<r about .poor; Ma B a ^ i J to ^ 'r a . r . - J D » e re . la: ..erniJ. Otoe "iSrS^^^HaRty teeiaftlng

-U S-E® - I T E U C E S

Inlematlo'nal sLt-spccd, motor and tires rood. Beet b e d - .

$125.00

$250.00

$ 5 ^ 0 0103S IntemaUonnl Plcl 126” wheelbase. 10" wbi extra good condlUon—

$600 00

$500.001020 Ford' Truck, with beet bed, g o ^ condition—

$ 1 7 ^ 0 0*102lt Chevroist Coach—

. S ^ oM28 Chrysler Coach'-

$50 01»30 Graham Sedan—

$ m o o

MeYEY'S. TIOOKO ,

N c m c B TOs y p B u o A n o K p ?

________\Ooimty..«alK» •

. In T.re: .eatata o t , C3>rlrtliip, Cbristiaaaea, deceaw l.---:

pu rauaat-to aa:r«tder/-ftf,',tia:

,Ja hereby given th a t Toeaday, u« obff e,riB38, a t tm-o-fllwJc to t fo r« c o n -o fa a ld iU y . 'a l.^ « '

o f , «aW «m rt, , t n r . t ^ » - y

« “h2S :® S3S s!

a ^ a a a e n ^ . ' fleewsed,

& eT iS vea o'ot to'.oi^.jieM j ew o'tuim -t-v .rr.rfvyy

Claude P ra tt Sale*

of>Iatt4 tL .

S H I

Page 6: Ghiriese Triq^ iii Move Nearer Vital Test% SKariglim ...newspaper.twinfallspubliclibrary.org/files/Twin... · , ;VQIi.XtS:. NO. 147-t5 CENTS. TWIN PALLS, IDAHO,. FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER

in A H O .E V E N IN G T M R B . ’I 'W IN F A IX S . in A H O ' FHdfty, Scptcmby 25,:1931

GIANTS REFUSE TO GET EXGITED AETM^

I f T h o f E avo L east Hopca of D usting O ff Yanlcs, They

: M aintttin Secrecy .

. B r L E SU E AVERY , NEW YORK, Sept 25 (am-r.

The Now York. GlanU h a v e -----

. ' c<i SlMUt' l(.' > “It woa lust miotlicrbaU

osld Terry. httlMiearle<lly rorclng A smllo, .ftJU r Ujb G U ata 'bR d

•v ; ■ j iu t won n -b itte r lO-laolnp atrue- . -gii from th o ^ s to n B e a u> clinch

• •^cb a m p io n A h ip .-T e.rry 'a '.o ltt-• • tud# w w ju a t nbout M chwry "

• • - lluit of nny of his playcni. .*■ Uappy but >Vc#ry

. They, were happy but they w,• wearj'.-Thex had come-from the

• second dlvjalon t«. the flng alnce, . mlil-July..

The aecria was jK>;iltffercnt . ' tboso o t lBM when.tho a t. lioula

•Cardlaaia nosed oul th^ Qinnta : . for tb e ’pennant on tho -lint day

of the teaaon.iiuid.when tha.CiitM■ r . .triumphed in 1D35 with a Zl-pime

g inning •BtTrnk,-:that-th»-r«poft- e ra ' couldn’t understand It.

Hell,-, this is a tnorgue. .........tered one, aa ho attempted toj

■” cUcIt •omo -bombastic .quotes, of • ' ■ ■ w tja t'lho Glaala -woulil do to the

/YnnkeM 'In 'lho ooralrig'scriM. If 'the- Glanls-hovo-tho least hopes

^ •: of dustlns the McCarthy- men off, they arcTceeplhu It a deep secret.

- Terry O tanU ItU, A t least Memphis Bill was not . displeased .a t - g e l t l n j .the f — 'p a f e o v c r . H«.nald "Thanks.

■.. ■ man" to Hal Schumacher, who Bltehod nod batted the GlanU t«

■ 'llMiir 2 to 1 victory. Besides limit- l a j U i a B ^ to-»bveahltji. Schu-

-nlocher droye-ln U»o winning run :, - with a sharp aloBlo la the 10th.

•.Aa the victory, ellmijiatod the ! ' 'i la s t arithmetical chanco of being

overtaken .by. tba Cardinals, Ter- S / t r revised his lineup and gave re-

••-'ertilts' a chance in Uio -eccondl .game of tho twin bill, and

. Bees-dusled thorn of/,.4 lo 0. Cnrdi Battle Anytray

Although out o f-th e nmnlng for the pennant, the Carulnala

>: :.contIaued, their drive for*Sewnd ••.' •pWco monoyby beating tho Cla- 1-- clonjill-nods.twlce. 6 to 4. la the

' - I 2.lnnlng opener, and 2 to 0 in V" • uio nbbrevlatod n lB t tc a p ^ t - t e •• tlx innings-because of darkne«i-i f- ■ ' Dlesy Dean stn ick out nine atifl'

doled o u ffo u r hlU in the'fliuile,:• his 24th triumph of the year,

The ChieeBO .Cubs feU 2 ^ '

i' S S l E

Pigskin jPicks

South Central Pans WUl Soo| ■ ■ Albion Play-WeBtminator

-• Panqna Saturday

1- BURCBV, Sept 26 (Special) — I South central Idaho funs wilt havo'l .their first taste of eollcRldto foqt- Iball a t 2 p . m.- Salurtay when Al- Iblon - Normal, will ’ meet tholr I s tw g ea t rival of last-year, West-' minster college of .Sa lt Lake,' the Burley atbleUc field. puno I s ’being sponsored by Uiel Beriey Junior Chamber ' ' — '

Twice tho two' squads'm et lastl year, once-for the Junior eolleeo' ehtanptODSblp of Utah and Idaho.

CoMh Orville Hult baa announc­ed-U iat probable starting lineup wilt bo Domlaa,' quarterback; Cooper, fullback; MncFariano and Shorthoilso, h a l f b a c k s ; Childs, eeatcr; Eam w and Lorrondo, guards; Hill and BerKstrom, tacr kies, and Schow and Young, ends. PromislaK res9rvcs are Glover, Nielson^ Bu'ckindbrf, Allen,-I’lepcr,

,Walto, .Cr»mcr, Bcccas. Florlan nlnlThorcsonr-r--:— ■:-------- — i

A n.effort.Is being made.by Juh-j .lor Chamber officials to hevo Bur-1 ley business houses close Satur-I day.a/tcraoon during tho game. '

GAME— IdahoAVhltmon Coll. Idaho-Lliifleld Rlcks-Goodlng Alblon-Wcstmlnster

IcmTTITISgi?Do..n for t to third and final tia » sroes AI E ttore from tho lerrltlc punches of Joo l/)ul», Negro

lifav|nvetght. In llieir ThlUdtlphla flgtit. This .telephoto shown the game rhlladelphUi flih ter beUir added to the Jong Uit of Louli' knockout vlctorlea while Ibe referee tolls .tho flual count of 10.

H ERE’S LINE UP OF GIANTS’ PITCHER-CATGHER BRIGADE

By QEOUOE KIIIKSEY NEW YORK, Sept. 23 H’Jit—Tho

. len who pitch and catch for the 'Now York Giants:

Carl JfubbeU — Droll son of southwest. Says If ho hadn't veloped hU 'screw balir might ba working on the farm tjown In Meeker,'Okla- -Control greatest asset. Not (tfrald to pitch to

caknes..... ......... - ..,..-C h . Like nil b lanty stars, is

gaanes’.'behind the-C anls as tbcy\<ry-quiet. On the benchblanked; 4 to 0, by the Pltf*-,

‘burgh -Pirates, who now.trail the; (Sjhs by only ohe game oaa-hnve

:.B chanee to boat them out'of third ■place. 'Tlie PhUadeJphi* Phillies whipped the Brooklyn Codgers < to , a.-ln tha 13-iaaiiig t l r j t game o f *.d6uble-header, then-bowed by the.aam e.score In the finale. - in .the only game played la-the A nerlcan league, tha Philadelphia

- Athletics downed the "New Yorit 1*'^ • Yankees, .«•' *

i

All

ailrs o r moves, just watches. After hl8 great 2.1 victory over DUz>- Dean In crucial ,game a t St. Louis he sold; " I hate to see a pitcher lose a game on a pop fly." Hub^ bell htascif h it the pop-fly brought In tha winning run, . and angular. Wears his baseball, pants, way down nesrank lc i Says, elastic around the knee bofhco.

Strtutfffat Dellverj- Pred ntzslflunaas — Strangest, elivery in majors. Turns his back'

to ba tter before making pitch.' Roly-poly, good-natured.- Son of, a former police-chief a t Mlshaw-; oka, Inii...Jlaised by dad to bo s ' , baU player. M aster of the knuckic- Iball. In winter raises fancy poul­try oa his faim a t A rcadla^U f.,

'- ; a r Santa Anita racetraCKT' , Frank dabler — Biggest talkeri 1 the club. Says he

■■ - Big Throng A.tteadi - Oab .1 - And Bnrley Clash of

Old Blvals

\ ‘ .BOBLEnr, S e p t 25 {BpeciaU — 1^--Burteya-lighting BobcaU, favor-

I te s 'n tb e r thaa underdogs, enter >nhBlr-second gam e.this afternoon

. against'Oakley, Tha E«me prom- Ised-to, be fost-w ith Oakley re- 't i r t la g .tb e fray as probahly-lt*

;• ■ *!MOii-a biggest Traditional riv- :--.alry marks this contest.

Incfl -their - Impressive victory : s- - uver Kimberly la st week, the Bob- , v «at*-are held ia new and Wghei ■=• - tegarxl b r local fans. Standing oul -V' for> Burisy. in tlitir first game /.; :* e re ■ Pace. • Powell.-.Hogge and .'.i-flUker in 'th e backfleW. and Red-

v-‘ /leid and Bowcutt in the line.• • Effectlw Attack

•vBurley waa effective with elth- 9r.lloe plunges, and — - - - - ........

family of earthquake addicts, and that he a n d ‘his father were three times knocked down by Cali- fomln earthquakes. Has strong hands and con tear a dcck of cards lin two'wUh hla fingers. Faacinated by strong men of'circus hnd sccrot- ly practlccs.tricks with dumb-bells •- Improve muscles. Only scored

1 shut-out In his entire career In. baseball, nnd has the biggest ninth' Inning complex of nay pitcher Ini league. •

Got M oTieOfer Bnl ScJiwnochcr — Quiet, sorl-

DUS college graduate from St. Law- renco university. Canton. N. Y Blond and good-looking, once gol on offer from tho movies but didn't bother to answer the letter, father Idolized an older sot thought ho would become a-seeonif; Ty Cobb. Tho son was killed in the World wor and tho father lost interest In baaeball until Hal made good with the giants.

Alfred Smith — Quietest of the quiet QlonU. -Wbea ho signs ' autographjio writes '-'A.-Smlth;' save time and space.. Chews gum IncesaaaUyon.nadoff neld; A S t Louis boy who esuped the Car­dinals’ ebaln gang. .

- S tnng aad Silent ,U aro- Oumbert — Another ofi

the Giants' s ’j-on'g. silent men. Hoal and closely resembles Pauli

I Dean In ^ c ia i features. H asgroatl Icurve ban for four Innings, after! 'th a t nobody Icnowa. Uncle. A d' Gumbcrt, was pitcher with Brook­lyn and Pittsburgh 33 years ago. _CIJ-deU Caatlemun — Only a few years ago a barefoot boy on a dairy farm o t Donelson, Tena. Best; dresser oa Giants. Looks and drtssca a. lot like Terry. Tcani-

ates call him ‘'Slick."•Dick Coffman — Talks too much I be a typical Giant, but Is more

subdued than when he was with the Browns. Lost a dcclaloo to Rogers Horastw"In d train brawl last year, which led to his transferi to Giants. Figures tha t wi luckiest break of hla <areer.

Italian Qus ' u.BInncuso -Plrst Italian to play v,-ith Giants. Flashing

e jes and always In liigh snlrita.’ Terry got him from Cardinals-be­cause bo liked Uancuso's fighting spirit, whether Ills team was In front or behind. ..Attack of typhoid, fover In -winter o f 1033-84 airoost mined his baseball cwtrol. Con-

'flered best low'-ball .backstop Ij

.Daaning — Jewish boy from Los. Angeles. -Never been-la Terry's jrood-cracea since be w u ' ahnldout ln.1035. Will aee world series from th e t>ench' unless-Uan-

U h u r t

PANTIIEUS ON. \VAnPATM ,ALBION, Sept. 25 (Special) —

A fter losing, to the College of Ida-I ho in Caldwell last Friday, Coach Orville Hult'a. Albion Normal Pan­ther ; eleven wore gunning this week for tho scalps o t Wcstmlhs-. U r collego when, thfcy. meet the; Utah school in Burley this coming Saturday afternoon. ’; T hat the Normal crew Is exceed-

Ingly-llgbt was generously demon-' atratcd by . tho Caldwell, oggrega-l tlon in tho way they pushed over' Albion's goal ilae for a IS point; margin.,

- Needs Kicker and Ends,, SUIl In need of a good kicker land a palr'of ends to go down fast ' - panU ,-H ult was puUlng his

I through Uielr paces this week [trying to overcomn oomo of, tholr jwelght disadvantages. In order

of the Pacific Ajuthwest tennis! matehes today to face the stlffeaf compcUton of his swift bid foi recognlUon. • I

The ^ u a J h a i receiwd “ ^ I j /^ 'j to ^ o ^ v c r . J o l^ Van of pmia-’ l. - formation this' week regarding • misUkos In the f irs t contest so. It

-aope.m tha t the team sbould show

it.Oakley today...

_ 1 strong:.-iJtelo’team. I t «-on the battle by -:-»r#cor8*f X3-to 6,Tbe-Uam ets re­

lied mostly upon fltraigbt football, with' few fancy plays or passes. HBilth.-quarterbaek, • scored .both

I . fo r Oakley, on line

. Reed GoHiger-bftlfb iekrk it...^ fr.B C ^^ud veteran-irotn last

r;Cft>wd,-WM cxpected to-

iietBi'Umn .for. many-jreats, ai B ;to :the Intenfs rivnlry. mai

|iXlBktey.'nuur.iu« <ixp«ieted'to,ilrt

i V8 llAO rK HAH!„SepV M (Spcolaly- DiihuTbad-been .Offl*

I t i opea the sea-

c B /a a e n m u iS ^ a t Ui<

I l D B M C L I i S TO l E E I BUDGE!

I Former College Teimia Ohamp ' Hits Stiff Barrier; Pciry

Opposes Shields

LOS ANGELES, Sept. 25,tlU;i — Jack.Tidbalt o f l/>s Angeles, for­mer intercollegiate tennis cliam- plon. mWad Into tho 'i

dtiphia yesterday In an ilpset To­day ho meets Donald Budge, red- haired acc. who beat Robert Un­derwood of Stanford la a one-sid­ed 8-1,- 0-1 cncouater

Other seml-finallstj ...................players Fred Perry of Engldnd. aiL d 'F ranbki^'fiU clds. Women's — -.......—i' a-fc Carfllln Bab-'m k . U arjorie Gladman Von Rys

.ofPhlladelphlii. Gracyn Wheeler, of SAnta Monica-and Alico Mar-, ble,’ the national, champion. ; I .-. The -ircatest^ upact yesterday occurred when Miss Marble and Gene Mako, national mixed dou­bles ‘0Uamph)ns,- -were -ellmlaated by Yvoh • Petra,' allm Frenchwo­man, and Dorothy Workman,'Loa Angeles. The champions weijt

Scores Y o t ^ a y jKAT16KA£ IXAGCE

P lfU burrt 4, CWeago O, 8 t-L Q uli 8. anelnnali 4 {12j

' S t ^ u U 2 , 'C incinna ti'o '(ailInnlnn; darkness)...............■•New Y ork 2, Boiton X (l0.1a-alnf*)-

BoittoD 4; ■New' York O.r - : . : . Phiiadelphl* 4.. Brooklyn 3 (1S|

BrooM)^ 4 .-P haId^ b ia '3 . ' -

• />BffU«CAir?J3A0«B ' Philadelphia 4.'New YoTk 3.No e ther gomes. - , ‘

iVllERICAN 1£AGUE

Detroit^ . 8 3 .Washington - „'..-;....80 Chlcdgo .........:------79

PORTiANDIlALLy

oavAri Oo)l«et. One More Bun . !ntait Acoiss in 10th for

Vlotoiy in Opener,.

PORTLAND, S e p t 2p (U£J—The Portland - Beavers • ouUasted the' Oakland Oak« in tho.'first game of| thebr fln^i pennant ’ playoff* Usti night, coming from , behind ' ID-tanlng gaitie.to.vrlo..,6-S.-.' ..The-sooVe.«a»;M aKalnst them

'In the-teo th -wltea -thO'-PortlaiKl- !era found- Jack U.-.B«cea: for a th re e 'n in 'ra lty .to pu t tho game

Ice and ’toJce the' Iedd-'ln the

eatii. T^e'.AooriiTjiurleni gave up 19 a afe tl^ to tiio. t ia rd -s l i^ o g

mates with three hits apiece. • halveai-Luvaas.-'ful'* - ........ '

C O M ES:iEA V E f O R R O A D G lE

College of I d a ^ Head for| McMinnville for First

Conference Pray '

CALDWELU Sept 25 (Special) —College of Idaho Coyotes, facing their f irst Northwest confereacti contest of Uie season, entrained this afternoon, for McMinnville. Ore., where — ......................they will meet the strong Linfleld college team. '

Coach. Pa t Page, who can the Collego. of Idaho thla fa.. _ hood conch after 20 yea« of col­lege coach experience- gained at the Indiana, Chicago and -Bullor universities, stressed a pass de-____ami drill . . . _____this week's rehearsals.

Weak .................Weak spots which loomed in tho Coyotes' 15-0 victory over Albion Normai-school mnh»- grid' aeaaoh opeJier last week received partiou- 'T-attenU oa. '

In defeating Albion the Coyotes «lied, mosUy on straight football with a few posses interspe Those aamo plays, wltlt a few ones added are expocted to form the bulk of the Coyotes' attack a t I.InflKtii............................ - - t

^ p s c o w i ':s ip t -'.is rootball playprs-,wbo have'-yet.'ti* lian i'le tten a t the ^Universlto of

________ ________________Oaks U liUa,.whiie Ken DoofllCSfVSKclaU m eet Whitman g»v« w ay to Lft Room In <W-«ev- WalU, Wolla.: Woeh^.Joe’ Ba^rfllli . . . . . -.V.. .............................................................«nd,iiM !ll>oUle/ialyS?'

was considering the ahlftlng of, Geno Cooper to the fullback >ob and putting Max Domtna in the ' signal-calling berth.-Replacements for thla act-up would-be taken from tho reserve material. ,

Ao a further precaution. Hult: Issued the . utlmatum .concemlDgl tho training rules and regulatloosi ot Ills club.,. Although light, hls.m achine ls| Ifa st . Led by Domlna and Cooper, Ifloetfoots of tho crew,. most of th*

1 ,tiausually speedy, only.__ „ the. centcra,-belng-in U

|Mack truck-type running ctaas.' -. DrUl on Blocking ,. PreparaUoa for tte-W est«lB«ter

'contest inclmled th& improving, of blocking aad:jaterf«rence M d the perfecting of .panes and laterals. In addition to .half-a-.dozen now plays.' ■

I t «111 bo

U. 8. C.-Ore. S t ^ Colgate-Duko

, Wash. Stato-Mont • j Minn.-Waahlngton' Orcgon-Portlond Tulone-Mlss.L. S. U.-nice Purduo-Ohio U. • Pltt-Ohlo Wesleyan Navy-Wm. & Mary Alabama-Howard

WE PICK _ Idaho. 14-0 :

Llnfield, 19-7 ■ Ricks,'20-0

Albion. 0-0 .

U. 8. C., .20-0 ___• Colgate, 7-0 • ___

Wash. State. 14-0__• llihrieaota, 7-0 . ____

0rcson,-a9-0 ‘ 'Mississippi. 0-0 ____L. S. U., 14-7 ■ Purdue. 7-0Pitt, 20-0Navy, 27-a - . - Alabama, 21-0

Have a Look at T erry’s Giants

By CEOROE KUtKSEV.NEW YORIC, S ep t .25-HU:! —

:Sketches of the N ew Y ork Giants;Nalional - (eague-champions;-----I Bill l^erry _ King of tho roost If he can't handle a pla /er ho geU rid of him. Playing atrletly on his nerve, with a knee thafswcUa up like a balloon after every game ho Iplaye. ■ laclincd' lo be surly to I Bveryone except,hta friends and his ballplayers. Has .cxecutivo com­plex and seldom makes a mlstuke where money Is concerned.. Blue eyes. Qetllng grey around tem­ples. Last man to leave Polo grounds everj day, sometimes ta k ­ing an hour lo cool oft before re-, moving hla uniform. Drinka beerj and amekes clgots.

. AU Taped Up Leslie — Bulky fellow from

Bayou belt of Mls.iUaippL Played' ' of season In adhealvo tape be-'

____ of groin Injury. Used to boilifeguard on tKacb a t BlIoxl. Mlss.,-1 and later dabbled In boxjng. Wearsi cap a t rakish aiiglo and bos ‘ " Bottomley atrut on field.

BurgrjM tVhltehend — Gn

n-Manr— -------Joo Moore—Farmer from Texas,

■ SomeUmes known os "Uio thin imon” Ijecouso of his slight build or "gauze ghOst" because he ' hails ifrora town by name of Gouse and ■generally haa to bo bandaged and taped before every, game.' One of the best arm s la baseball, devclop- Mts OS roclcs a t Jack-rab-'

Melvin O tt.— Tho'little v o te W Eleven fieoAoas with Giants and only 27.- The late Harry Williams sent him to his friend' McGraw with letter of 'lntroductlon.' Didn't have his first shave until a fte r be ^cam e a 'rcgular. H as'strangestI batting style In majors, cocking hlsl right leg like a pitcher os ho starts |{lkcd” *“®’' “ <xJe»t and wellj

A Game Fellow J lm ay Itlpple -r-flousi

Normal ,ihet- Westminster • t^ c e la s t.y e a r . ' O it'th e .f irs t o c icu l^ Albkm.-woa -the.-jro. by.‘’IS-B' and Uod ivlth^thfcm-Uler In 'th b 's e u ^ a t a-6 when tha tw6-teams.tnet-tO detennlne- the chonploinshlp of . the UUh-Idaht. athletic -associaUon.

|No Goach; A ^ io n Galls Of £ Game |

ALBl&N,-Sept' 2S.(8peelal) With Al&lontS 'footbidl .team' lh"a t>od -w a 'y-at 'present-because'. of lack of a coach, tha tUt schednled wlth'Declo-for'Itoday. Waa. post^ poned. I t 'r h a y be p l a y ^ ' l a t e r ^ theaeaaon.

T hrough-.a aerious 'mlsuader- ttanding, authbriUea thought .they

, had hired' on athletic director Iwho had'-aceepted aiuiUOT posl- 'tlom Thie'lMthjctor they lilred in h u ioacs ibad-serer coBcbed lior played-football, so-'Albion iSLtem- pomrlly witbout a grid.mentor. I t is 'e x p ^ e d 't l i a t B u r l^ 'n e e d ^ g

OOUBtE CELEBRATION'HELD "DDFIAIICR,'0. lUBl—A fa dou­

bles celebratldii.Mr, ,and.Mra.'.Em« ereon Botlnger we)ro .married.- and Mrs. BarrinKBt's'.BwmdparBBU. Mr. and Mn.- U. S. Blue obstiVed their SOth wedding, annlvem

V e r y L o v irM S D t t•0 P * W « :

npedeneed llaejnsa.

lof U. of North.Carollna. where ho !)nadc Phi Beta Kappa. One of Dizzy Dean's closest triends. Wor­ried for daya about Dizzy’s condi­tion after ha h it Dean la the head w ith a line drive.

DlrJ( Barteir— Came to Giants| with'nlclniiuno o f ' "Rowdy Dick," but has ' lost much of- his fiety sp irit under Terry's sobering influ.

Ilf he'a .going .pxxl .•lipper but if he'a In a.aU •low In spirits. .

B eat'U ked Travis Jackson — Terry's chief

lleoteahnt.- lone survlvir . of - the 1823 world series between Gloats and. Yanks. - Ck«sldered one of sm artest bosebaU men In league. iQnuluate of Ouchita college,'Ark. Ono o f-th e 'b e a t 'U k ^ playera In, baaobalL -;Evcn- tho .umpires'. UUe

Marie Koenig — Every Ume thel Yankees get.in a world'series;' 'ln.lt, too; Piayod.wlth'then» \ ___ ,tl>ey tron'tho:pensknt In' 1026-27- 28.'-pla)>M hgaW t UMm w ith-the Cubs- lh-ClW2-aHd* now baeU 'in ' ig«tut'tteia''<jrttlb.*--yfiaks''dtop^, ped him when-hls'eyes-weat'bock

in leh t

m m m

Lacy Crew Sees Initial Aotioa Of Year 'AgiiJnBt 8hoshoho>

- Eleven-Today -•

?? {Special)- Coach Ed Ijicy's -Rupert ^Ph'tttes

"••'•"Mnto action for the first timo -.m so n as Lambert Dolphin's ■

ahpshone elaycn :invaded the tooal field .ihia afternoon. -The tilt . Is ' also the seasonal opener for Shiv

by trade. CotcHance to bfeak 'id lineup when Lelber got o cinder In his fcye. Made big h it with ,Terry when he showed his. game-

after crasUng into Uio wall in _ „ama a t Philadelphia. He was .knocked unconscious but wanted to s ^ y In/game a fte r belnff revlv- ed. Terry wanted to take him out bufeald he would leave him In If ho w ld 'm a k e a ^ throw from outl^leld. Ho nm out to center field., and threw a perfect 01 ' the plate. •' .

U ank Lelber — Doesn't much_but Is-qukik oa tho'draw u trtublo starts.: 'W hen he’a'. mad

of the toughest men in hose- to 'g e to u t Discovered by A rt

Nehf who gave h im -to McQraw for his expenses and hoUI bin lo l^ a -^ g e ie s from Phoenix,. Ariz. The. bill came to *18.50. • - .

Oearco.Davls-iNicknanio *Xld‘- . 3." Graduote of Now Y ort U. Best boxer ln:basebalL‘. Qiil»t'flml Inaffcnalve; but poison if aroused;:

P A C m q (M M X 1£AQU1S (F ^ N A O T SERIES)

Oakland - 210- 000 000 2—5 11- 01 PorUaad- -OJO 00l - 010-»:l<‘16 -'a! I Do.ufelas, '.LaBoccar-and -Hewh-*] berger; Caster and Bruekir. '

..u la s t few 'days,w ili the crMpestfl.for his forwwa wall, playlnfc a Urge p a rt O fjtie prowess, of, tho Pirate liae there appears to bo. no. doubt,although today's.Kamo wiu give i t tho acid ' test. -, The "strong-aldo” of the forwdrd bulwarks Is not only ^ n g - but . tough. - t'Olg Jim" irarockmorton, two-year tackle iiottcrmnn. was recently shifted to thornght-TOd-job-parajr-M£5U3o~ picy needed a good end and partly bccauBo . the ,coqipetiUon for tho

‘ •■'liUimcnta between Ham- -Bv«ry,-t rrowlng (

Capaijle Guard I ^m pleting Uils aide of the line.I with TJirockmorton aa^end ahil .yanEvery and Hammoa aa tackles}.- , Ib C a ri Bloomer. " A f io s pounds t ^ ;b o y Is Just aa. capable as the thj8*N<jthcrs, Btoomtr will play “ ®. «ynnlng-guard poalUon and finds llttfe trouble In gotUog out of Ihe line ahead of tho ball toter.

In the' key-post are Bill Nelsoa -. and Bill Bouch. still buttUng loothi ana-toecall for. the ' firat-string berth. Both men aro fine bentcra, tough in tlie llna nnd capable of putting tho ball gently into ’ the [hands of tho carrier.

Lacy has plenty of material for le • wcak-slde guard. Harold

IGreen, who quit football p rac llco -. two ago In order to keep

h his school work nIdactorily, is back In tho ranks again.. Battl(Ag with Green for tha .guard position ar/i'U oyd Gil- llspio • and two or three more •'baby-tank rookies."

. tn u a ’t End Hank Ubl Is holding down- Uia

wcak-aido end assignment with little dlffleulty. p ' Coach Lacy feels pretty sure at ' hU lino, as he has a right to do, . But his biclcfleld will h&v* the op­portunity of proving-their s tu ff . here this .afternoon, for the 3ho- ahonn men.are.realiy out to take the local boys this time.

Cub Linkup Named, Probable' i8tartInB" llncUp f o r ' Coach . John Flalt's T*ln FalU Cubs afF airffe tdH hls arteroooa waa to'bo Wardes MUlsand W a^ e Smith, e n ^ : .Chariea-Loreon an4 Wayne S to W . tackles; Bob Good-’ iflght and •- n#y^- Mills,-; isuards; . Wayne Turner,-eeatcr:-A rt Traa. mer, quartohoek; - Kea - Baliebgec : and Boyd 'Brovrti,- halfbacks; -Bob ■ • Moore, .fullbaidt.' El^teen-othec; - p la y eri'aa d eth e -trlp ? '" --t ''- ; . • .;.'Th6'--Cub%.;conlrtWlaff of Brula ' re^M -rlrO iB j A r a d ', to': :-

a ieffo r ^ th 'o u tn ta .''

c e ^ z i a i i i U | c a i v .

T o p -R a a tciA tc!

Page 7: Ghiriese Triq^ iii Move Nearer Vital Test% SKariglim ...newspaper.twinfallspubliclibrary.org/files/Twin... · , ;VQIi.XtS:. NO. 147-t5 CENTS. TWIN PALLS, IDAHO,. FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER

'i ln:r;'Seiftenbtt, .25i,l030.. IDAHO EVENING TIME3. TWIN FALLa.IDAHO

bo proffnun'JhcluiiciJ commu- ' • Blnglns Ua by Mra.--0. P. Du- . ; .voca). solos by nuUi Jolimion. pmpimlcU t y H«rlcy- Smllh; n como' to patrons by U rs. Itoyurn. prcBiJcnt'.of .Ihc orgftDlai? »;.ft jriano aplo by;Mrs.;Home_r

;eompnnlcd bj . 1, and im ndilreu by Siipt.' W. 1 • iltti o tP "Intelligent Co'opori

n " -to . which ho. Olocudscti. tl.., ■-rtvdcd condllXon ot tlio Bcboola,!

irobcra were .lnl^oOuccll.by■C■cl'- - l .WbIIhm , program chalm an.

Mr.' Smith' InUxidycetl. Howard ■ Hcoiitaer, new principal. . iWUr Uio proErnm rtli'cahmenlg iro alrvci! Irom n ub lc nttrac- •o with mnrlgoldfl.- snowti;rrl«s d cllmalls. lap tra.w cro In’sU- r holders and iilK'er scrvlcca werecd. - Tlio'hospitality committee | cJudcd. Mrs. W. B. Lnwrtncc.

■•rs. n . J .. Valltoni- Mm- Enul , ibcr, MniJ Cccil Jor.ca and Mrs.

f alo - • ■Gflt‘ilin'yr~7ro3~-MTir3onir

i-(V6T-2II/irEO A 'S--------------------■ n m ENTERTAINED

arrB. A. A. Timm and Mra. Jnn- u H.'S hinn were hostesses yes- rdftyoftnm oon , lo . mcmbcra of 0 P ast Matrons, dub of n ie r apter, Order of the Em it""

. tho Til • • "

_ il present Durinff tho afternoon nrtln were t t piny wltU'Uio pfitc

high Bcore ET)lng to Mrs. U W. Inlmp, Filer.. ..Followlnc tho cnme-1 Ibo teen nerved rerreahmcnla.

* . , * iIISS SIAOEL’S . rIAURIA.aE ANNOCNCEO .

' Friends hero have received wonl| It. the' marriage of ^Jlsa Anna, " iry Masel, daughter of Mrs. B.; Magel. find William .Wright,

. ..n of Mr. and Mrs. L.'T, WriglUr.■'-Jalt Lake. City, formerly of Ihla

tlty. Tho weddlnc was held In Balt'Lake City on. Sept, 10. Mr.

.»nd Mrs. Wright have cone to .New York Clly to make their borne.

MPXTINO IIE tD BY JUNIOR SCRI»nU?KS

Members o f tl.c Junior .Scrlb-i blcrs' club met Jolt evening ot the

- tom o 'of m !m Carollno . Dudley with Mrs. H arry Smoclt. apooior, and Mls-TBemlco Babcock, ft guest of tho group,' attendliis; Members iwswercd roll call' With descrlp: tlons ot their Bunimer vacations;

_ . «nd tho nsslpimeot w ai “Ho look. ■*' cd Qt Ws'wlfc with new'cyea."'.

•A t the-close of tho s ^ lo n tho Sipstcsa served refresments. Tho next :inccting.*111 bo held a t Iho tom o Of Mias Aarii reavey.

BYIDAHO SIUDENIS

Qooding a n d B^ibl Pcraons A icj O a D istirg iilshcd L ist

, A t U niversity

MOSCOW (Special) —Six atU' jdenta who dlatlngulahed thcmsel*

Bcholarshlp a t tho Unlv Elly oi Idnilio last year received apodal nwnrda__ (it tho opening convocation here Afonilay.. Audrey Robinson,' senior from

Gooding, was awarded tho gold key emblem offered by Phi Chi Tbeat, notional honorary business fraternity for women. This award is made annually to the nenlor wo- 'man in the schaol of buslnejis who excelled In scholarship, personality and character during he r'jun ior year. Miss Itoblbson's grade ogo last yoar.was 6.010, Just of a perfect 0.000 for all

Buhl Boy Wins Red Smllh Wefltover, Buhl,

alwarded the Alpha Zota cup, marking him oa tie sophomore Ir the college of affriculturo who at'

, .tnlned tho highest grado averageI rtiiHnp hlw fn-«htnnTi vrnr. Hln.'■ ^im les averaged 8.102. '

Four students In the school forestry now have their names i graved on a bronio plaijup gpon' «orcd~l)y~ Yi -Slgroa-I*t,--niiiir ■'

A SALTY ONE

It short

Lonely Ladies Seeking Husbands Bombard IWr. Ickes’ Department

By FREDEHICK C. OTHMAN- isamo condition prevails In Ne. WASHINGTON, Sept, 23 iL’.lIl— vada. .Is this correct? '

Love’s sweet dream, wltb vari- “Con you give mo a report 01 ations. made tbo department of ln-!ihc number of single'bicn In these terlor staVry*eycd today lus il pon>|and other states that are nhoK or dered Uio pleas of dozens of.lone-,women? There arc hunclredn ot

3me, love-1^ ladlcu. . . jSinglo womea hero o t my./homoThey wont husbiinds anil tlieyjwho ore working .for meager

on'l mean maybe, The depart-iwoge.t, that would bo dcllglilcd tc ment soya teproachfully llils Btato marry decent men, who could asi of affairs Is all our fault becauso'sure them of a home, 1 will ap- wo wrote a.dispatch a fcwr wecksipredalc Information. [ and foi back about tho shortage of wo- which I will thnnlc you.

cn In Ala*l{B. where two Ihlrds, "P. 8. Would the government ! all the men are bnchelora. lassint desirable single women in

Ptesi notl In 'going (o A lnnka'or other slntesjWhenythe . papers printed thln for the purpo.no of ronrrying?'’

Secretary Harold L; Tckes- depart-i then trio delugo was started.ment with picas for advice and as- Similar letler.i arrived by everyslstajico in obtaining huobando.'mall. Tliey o ll w re tunied over Thcflo missives nrrlved a t the ralo,to Gor<lon, cblcf of Uio,of-15 10 20 a day.for-weeks, lum-;AIaskan dlvlslon„.whose jinplciIne the establishment in to 'a k1nd.o''t 'JUty I t ..................................of Involuntary matrimonial

posal of marriage, Instnntcr,

I Suburban Churches

highest .

tCATl U'OMEN

Featuring'the progrim of the ■ meeting of tho Catholic

_____1 UTlEue a t the. AmericaniLcglon. h a ll. yesterday afterooon were two. planologuea . by PatriciaSmith and a reaCing by Mwy Allco] Buchanan. '. Mr«..'Ben .Aascndrup ... , whllo elephant donated by Mrs, I Ernest. White.and Mrs. S.- J.-JCn-| senlus won the gue8.Moc prlzi

, Mm.,E. -M.. Wolfe, opened the Imcetlng with prayer and Mrs. David topcz, president, presided OL the .busincsa scsiion.. Mra, Joe PaliAn, Mrs. .K. K. McComb, Mrs. :Mnry Salmon and Mra. Ov/en “ • hostesses, served ”

CalendarTwin Kalla chapter of .the

Daughters of the .American Hcvolution will giw a te i.to -

SlioshoDO street north, honoring Mrs. C. F*. McMartln, Phoepix, •Aris.

forestry fmtemlty. • The iking student in each'

tyiiia this distinction. Lost year's winners were the following; R i c h a r d Blekfortf, Carat ‘

senior; Virgil Gould,. . ; Jonathan .Wright,-

ane. Wash., sophomore; J, .C____Wlndt, Sheridan,.Wyo, freshmon. Mr. Bickford also won o spcclal| XI Sigma PI award for being the outatandlng senior In Ihe school of forestry.

freahnifnts,

I'ltOOIUM U E A hd V JY MISSIONAUV OnOUP 'Members .'of the : Preabyterianl

lOUILD BIESIDERS Ia t t e n d SESSJON '

Membera* of Asceoalon Episcopal -Wild met yesterday altemoon '*

.the home o f Mrs. J. R, Bothwoll Seventh ovenuo north. Mrs. G. Truitt presided In the. ahscnco ot

iviu.. U.1U in.o, Prj’or gave review of the “Spirit o f Mis­

s i o n s . " 'Tho hostess, assisted by Mrs.

Sprague, served refrcshmi '

Ola were icd'by Mrs. L. L. Brocken-n rldgo on tho topic, .“If I Be HlaM

A roN of bllli In front of her and Mil shaker. In hand, here * Maxine . fjray, . radio oeauty, Virhettin your appetite fo r fun.

—WhaV»-lt-alt"abotrtf-Ah,-<hat'«- Maxine'i secret -s., blithely, the a«ks you* “Wfiat am 1 do- IngT". See answef on last page.

u, ■ . ■ iter. •■I.read im ortlcle in my homci Ho told them he wnn sorry.,cr in regards to lonely womca 'ho government couldnt operolc lestly. seeking Hiclr m a tes ,''« r re sp o n d fn c e burcsu for i"''..- Qte one. of the govemmcnt's''y•respondents. “The article-rc-'» 'n= corrc.ipamlcnl.i to

Iferred to Alaska and Nevada:Alaska, or whet9vcr, get Ihem- thcre ore neariy ona andi'clvea Jobs, and seek

a femi-

ICVUIX BAPTI.ST. . ... m. Sundoy scligol, Inc?

Ccdarbcrg, nuperinlendcnt,V la. m. Worship hour, Rev. Na-

lan Anderson in dinrge.7:1S p. m. Bcacon Lights. Ever- .

e ll Ceilarberg, leader.8 p. m. Evening worship hour.

Subject; "Hcaaonable Religion."

MfmiOUIST E l’ISCOI'ALKimberly

Rev, T. W. Bowmar, mlnLitei 10 0. m. Sunday school. "Pro-

ImolUn Day" will be obscr\-cd. Spc- ielal music will f>e provided. ' .

31 a. m. Morning scrvlce of wor- flhiii. and the evening service a t

o'clock. All arc cordially in- ted to atleml these nervlces.7 p, m- Intermediate EpwortH

League. Membera nml friends of the league ore Invited.

Mondiiy. 8 p; m; Scout troop - No, *2 will meet a t llie churcb; A full altcnilancc Is desired. \

Wedne-idny, 2:30. p, m. W, F. M, S. win meet a t the ctl'urcli, -

Wednesday. 8 p. m. The official bo.-ird in InvlliJd to meet a t the pamonnge.

Friday, i p, i -1 will, meet

to every woman) llmobandu, sans federal aid. i , , c . k .iiii,r

;addrcascs t|f men in the abovcicau-wl the hopc.s^of imentloned?

Lonely Widow

.f any splnsterslto 1,-naw Ihetr way .out of n ohaVus J rise unduly, but the fact rc-|8lomach.

Births a t Jerome • Listed for Week

JEROME, Sept. 28 (Spedal) — Jerome's population was Increas­ed by flvo last week. According to Uie record of Dr. C. P. ZeUer, county vital statlclan, four glrlo

id one boy wero bom., One -Setp.- 19 ft daughter was bom to Mr. and Mrs. Edward Me*' - ■; Sept. 18 n daughter, to Mr.

Mrs. Weatley Ball; Sept. 16, a to Mr, and >tra. Lawrence Par- Sept. 14, n daughter to 1'

. Mrs. -William Dean and daughter to Mr. and Mrs. Emil Harding. • . .

' WANT ADS BRING RESIK-TS.

i c A P i mBonnevlll6\BaU F lats Proposed'

As Site fo r E ffo r t to ' E xcecd 301 M .P .H .

, SALT LAKE CITY, Sept. 23 a'Jl I—Announcement of CopL Ceorgc E. T. -Eyaton, English speed driver, thot ho plans on attem pt on . Sir Malcolm CampbcU’a world speed record of 301,33 miles an hour brought an Immediate Invitation tO| Iho Uriton to mako.tho Bonneville BUlt-flats.

'Cua P. Backman, secretary of tho BonncVllIo Racing asaocljulo" extended the Invitation.

ibell'B record was made < flats and Eyston hlnxaelfj

early thirties and not .-w bad look- ihg. Golden brown hair and brown eyes, real J.ilr skin, flvo feci, alx jinchea tall, weight 165 pounda. ' [' "I am very lonesome and long-; Ing for a inio blue mate to mnkcl a homo with. Will you please.,write and. give. me_full informn-1 |Uon is to how i can get in touch| iwlth these men? I am very hon-'I eat and sincere In this mailer.; Please answer soon. '

■■p. S. I prefero mostly address- 1 In Nevada, but would like to ive Alaska addresses also."

Department Dllnksl Hardly had the department

stopped bllnklr,- Its eyes from this; request, before it recelvetl another, from tho other - sldo of the na­tion:

•'I read in tho paper here lost night that there is a shortage of] w-omen In Alaska and that there;

great number of single

MOUSES F@E SALEA five room modern liouse completely fum iulicd w ith high class furnilurc, ruga, range, clc.-T he house is a good ono w ith furance heat, h o t w ater he a te r and w ith the good fu rn itu re is a bargain a t S31l>0.

o e oImmcdiato possession on th is ono— Nice five room .

• honso w ilh hardw ood floors throughout, fu ll haaeraont, law n, cte. Only $2250. •

• o

Reese M. WilliamsPhone 218 120 South Bhoslionc.

JHOLDS ------- ---------- . I! Epsilon • chaptcr,' Beta Slgmal

. '.Phi, held foniml inltiaUon. last evening a t the home of MUs Dor-|

•ft pledge-from- th '___-brtof -bualnesa

iwofl held to outllne plona for the • ICDmlng-ycar. During ft social,hour

tefreahmenta i-'were--served Irom . ; small .tabler trimmed In gold" ttack,' sorority.

MUfl.V ' ■;iiM tcsstc

AID SOCIEV • - ATTENDS SIEBTINO ,_The Ladles' Aid 'society , of the

.-VChurch'of .the Brethrcn_met yei-|■ icrday 'aftem oon a t the homc'of;■ Mr*. Etta-M clton-.wilh 80 mcn\-;

b ? rsj)re s« t. A abort prograia w m ,; followed 'by ft-buBWca»«easSon.;'Ret

ftcahmenls -^wcrc-flcrved - by,- the. h6ntc*3cVMra:-OpalMikeheU.-Mrs.

' ' ' Irene Melton --------

rcpreacpt I t nt.lho..Womca'B.8y- ■ I -ileal.of.tho Urefbyterian church-, w: 10 bo held . In Lewiston next month.; ..Officers ,wbo :Wlll. atUnd.arc Mra. H. N. W------- -- *Frazier and M rs.---------------

Tea-wila served by Mrs..Howdl, Mm, WIlbur.Hill. Mrs. Carl Irwin, and M «,'B . G,'Houston,...'

Fo rrens,__ „ ___ . . ............ ....rens, from northern Idaho, and Prank A. McMoster, aon o t Mra, C. A. McMaater, was'Bolemni«d

• y morning by Rev. B. L. Methodist m inister.. At-

.tending ttio •ceremony wero Mrs. McMaalcr, Harold—.Gresky and Mrs. Mary Greaky, sister of tho bride.

After" ft brief wedding trip Ur.

cm C L i; FLANS p A ir rr ro irn u S B A N D S .

Plaan were made for a parly iwCL' * for .busbanda'.of. tnembers of OiB SUtch.'npjl, Chatter Q ttlc

'who met yesterday afternoon ot ;the homo'of-Mrs. Elmer' L^tham.l

, . ^ n . . MoUndA Davis. Mrs. .Ida lewanstm and.M rs. Blanch-Wynn

wlancra.ot.lho-contcrtprites.

(ocfc-taioej«-wJU.J» Bnswera lo eali a t.the next.regular,jncetr

ing,'-:oct:8. the borne of Mre. Icatbetine McKray. : -

Builey Gouple Wed At. Logan -Temple

BURLEY. SepL 25 (Special) Gladys. Moffltt.. daughter of Mr.' and' Mra. W, :a . Moffitt, and Qeorge Johnson, eon of Mr. and Mrs. ^AkeJ Jolmaon,'. were married

I n t the Logan L.- D ..^. .The-bride's pdrenta ac d.tho-couplo-to UUU; ’ ■

___ Jng the weddhigl'Mr. anc.’Johhson opent d 'short honey>

cHM SBi k r r q i E y e n s e m b l b- --PA 'IT& RN '0070........ ..

j.Youni find.;thi8'i^deligbtful,-ill-:chen.feaBemble.ft..."Bweeplnff,.',»uo- cess",-.;- for. thero never-w as a

.brighter .^ c riirao re ,I ..............homo" style Uian-this-

. Un frock and. a'pronl. m jo. dprOB.i

i i a p i s ............

Page 8: Ghiriese Triq^ iii Move Nearer Vital Test% SKariglim ...newspaper.twinfallspubliclibrary.org/files/Twin... · , ;VQIi.XtS:. NO. 147-t5 CENTS. TWIN PALLS, IDAHO,. FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER

m A H O E V E m C T m E S ; T V T O F A ^ .’' i » a a i f e s # 6 a i i t a y p 3 a

T ou'll Find Real Opportunities in the

C L A S S I F I E j D A D S

'A irrO M O B lL E B

■ WANTED TO BUY-IOOO .ca to wreek. Farmers' Auto Suppi ,U#cd ParU. Dept. PUone 226-W.

$8B0 sllsbUy used Sohmcr plnni in excellent condlUon for J13S.OO Logan tiustc Compiny.

FBUIT3 AND V2QETABLEBSpot Cash for USED CAES Jno. B. White.

144 Sccnnd;Avc. N orth

For Sale — ConoaW graiiea 2 ml. - ju th nnd 2 u went of South “ ‘I Warren WUlCima.1 Larjjo, ripe Emmett crapea. peari. crab appica and ripe prunes. Public M arket 812 Sboitumc no.

APABTMENTS POE EENTPearn, Winter Bananas, Orli

:CoIc!cn, Jonathan and Dtlldous • s. 1 mL VV, «i So. Klmberiy.

Flat over Sampson'B—ld,eal tor beauty parlor or office rooms, rudnc 1727.

FOE BENT—BOOUB

Dellclou*. W i n t e r Bananw.l omo Beauty and Jonathan apples.

lAnJou and Kieffcr pears. H.

noom, fumaec heat. Phone 1206.

— -Pun>lahcd-ooiy-room*--3-bIoclt* from hlfib school. Brlelt boua«. steam heated; bath. 350 Fifth B. '

PruDM a t Auction Ground B ^ U Stand until K:onc—26c, 4Sc, Good No, 2-s a t 75e. Nlco halt buatiel bash«U-pac><«d-{H}»-baalielr-tUW Klondike melons—your ehalcc for 10c.

-H E tP -W A Jm iD -rE M A L E Il iv e s t o o k a jjd p o u l t b y ]

Booklieeper and stenoKrapher OU-c experience, reference and Offe. Apply to F. O. Box 20i.

HELP WANTEDNew firm locating In city. Wants

two young men and women with pleaslnif personalities. Phon# Mr. Berry for'appolntment a t Perrlne

• Hotel. • . . • ,

H ljbeit prices paid for your fat |ehlek«M an-l turkeys. Indet ;ea tU eat'C o . .

SITUATIONS WAM!tED

to d y wants cooUlnff. on ranch. . Inaulro U mL N o, H W , Five . Polnl.

BUBINEaa 0PP0BTDHITIE8For Sale — Grocery •„>-.

market, new up-to-date stock. I » -In s good cash bualnesl. Good lo- caUon. Cheap rent. ” CasUeford, Idaho.

. tlmatea gladly clven or. kinds of job printing a t office ofj lldaho Evening Times.’

FOR SALE — Cran# plumbing' fixtures and plumblag supplies of

■' all kinds. Krcngcl'i Hardware.WHEELS FOR'ANY CAR!

See us for the besL prices. Re- capved Tires, Inc., 133 S(Ava. South. Phoce 219.

Fim N lT U nB FO n^A LE—New ' and used fum ltum of All kinds.

Co«l ranges, clectrlo ranges, coal atOTes,'circulators and other house- to ld fttmlahlnga. Moon’s. PboasB, Store, No. 1; Phone a io StoraNo.2.

’ N ew . trailer houso for sale a t bargain. I t 's factory made, fully equlpp^ and accoromodales four.

FOR SALE — Repairs for Me- ■ Cormlck, Decrlng, John Deere

Moline, Milwaukee, Datn and Em- crsoa mower*. All guaranteed parta. Krengcl’a Hardwart.• Auto Door Glass, Windshields

and Window Gliua. No charge for . aetUng glass.- Bring in you sash : or drive your.car in. Protect y p ^ • healtbi Save on your fuel bills.

Phone 0. Moon’#.FO R .BA L B-A carload of Mu-

, rtsco in bulk. Buy w hat you neef hring back .what you havj left. We Joan yoti a'brush to pu t It oa free. M cUurtry • Hoase ' Paint,- i.H our

. EnamcL Floor and Linoleum Var- . nish drys la ' two h o u r t We also

have a-U rge stock of Wall Paper’• and Linoleum Rugs Why p a y ----• price.. n w n a O. Mooa'a.

......... Try'.ABERDEEN COAL .B ylho-SackN O W ,

I w hm winter comes you wlli '•. . how good It Is,

INTKRMOUNTAIN SEED -.A N D Fira :L CO. .

.' Phone 1 « or 120.

r l l ^I | SWU.have 22 shares o f stock avaflalite In-the R. K. Smith p «i»i WoMhouse a t Hansen, Idaho. This company has

- * enviable record in iga ..and-, has lUwayi ^ cUridendt. This

, - oompaor has ncenU y Ira* ■ '■ ttw et’.th*dr:property .with, ; :i;jno<Jein type jreWg««tiOT,- .-.vrftant^Wu* hookw ilae of-the,

lUKkrls well above par. See ,:.,d^'ftft'»pro*pecttii,

-iSDJOLBU^'WEGENEB;-'.'i-“ /i^D -C O ilP A N T

n iA & u ox nuuns

MUaiOAL INSTEUIAENT8

. J . Mather, Dietrich, Idaho,

Satvu'day Sale!120 white-faced ewes.Also several fa t cattle.

ey, 0 yrs. old.

W. J. H0LI,EXB1CCK

LOST AND FOUND^ S T —Two heifers, crop off thel

right car, branded F on right ribs.' Box. lfi3.-TwJnJFalls. ...

U IS O E IJ.A N E O nB

Custom killing, curing mokiog meats. Phone 23. 1

. .■CARBtiasrORa.:--^-Catburetor ipfirts and service. F . O. H. Motor Service, 230 Sboshond St. West, Twtn Falls.

recap your tlr ts and! you DO i to lOOro on your coat. .The new guaranteed! Recapped ‘Tires, Inc., J35|

Second Ave. So. Plione StO. ' .8PIUNG FILLED MATTRESS-

E a MADE FROM .yO U R' OLD ONES. Mattresses renovated and recovered. Wool carding. Twin Falls Mattress Factoiy. phone 81W.

r Federal Land Bank'Loons__ J . W. McDowcU, room M,Bank & Trust Building, Shoabone SL Will be In the office .oh each aflemoon but Saturdays. Pbone No. <21 office or Q2P5J1 home.

A t the C. 4 C Cafelerla.back ol McCombs Croc., school children and grown ups will find wholeaome, vitamlzlng food .th a t satisfies. Lunch 11:13 to 1:30. Dinner 6-.30 •-> 7:30.

Save Money «oa Lumtwr by Buy­ing a t the Idaho Junk Houae. 102 Second avenue south. Rough lum­ber, bridge plank, abcep pannels, potato pasnels, any dlmenaloo. ‘

Sacks and-Twine

PEBSONAL

Know about your future! A:— curate account o f your past and future told by Madame Elaine. 4M Second avonue South. ApU 2 up­stairs. I am not a Gypsle. Fn- ■ 8 a. m* to 9 p. r a . . . . -

W A N T E D -M I80E L L A M E 0U 8

Minidoka deer hunting perm it See George Buhler, GrlU Cafe.

Private loan to build. Lot paid 'for. Choice locaUon. Inquire 103 Mahi East- '

Wanted: Painting, kalsomlalng nd paper hanging with g u ^ n - ee. M. A. WUUams. Phone ca-W .Wanted —To trade new Crane'

plumbing fixtures 'for ' your old, tothroom-fhctures. .Kreiigel'< Hdw.

TRUClcmO WANTfiH!. We are equipped to move any­

thing up ta 15 ton. See W. W. WIU. liaiofl, aS3 Second Ave; So. Phone,

W anted— tJpholaterlng,.. rc tng. furtUtiire. reflnishlng;: wt shade work. Ctdw * Bruley F tw _ C o . . P h o n e . ^ .130 a

: BNQBAVlNo::DINUAMNUUNCK]

. J l l n r e o g rs . . .prteto4- K « a r-< w r« t- »tyle«

- T5I

RATES PER LINE PER DAY Sis days, per'llna per day— .le Three daj-s. per line per day_Oe Coe day, per line «-

Mlarmum Two I-inea Minimum Chargn 23a

Classified DlspUy R a td on quest-

In accepting eopy for ol fled jcdveAlacmenta for puhUca- Uoo - In the . Idaho Emoing Times, the -Hmes Publishing Company agTM to avoid e:------as fS T w pMWble, but wh typographical error doee In .oa. BdvcrtlAement, Che'rfr- sponslhUlty of the Times Pub- iishiog Company ceases after first publication If the edvcr- User doea not caU its attention to the error.

All Classified Ads are J re­stricted to their pTuper c lm i- ficatlon and th e ’Idaho'Evenlsg Times reserwa the right to change the wording of an ad* verjlsement if by doing so *

letter and box cumber Instead of the name of the advertiser must b« answered by letter. Please <So-Bol-ask 'of the advertiser which Is obso-. • itely ooafldentlal la euoh eases.

TO PL/.CE YOUR CLASSI­FIED AD, CALL S3 AND ASK, FOR THE AD-’iAKKR.

ALL C L A SSIFICA T IO N Si AJIRANGED ALPHABETIC-, ALLT. ling, a L. Shaffer. Pho

MONEY TO LOAN Wanted — painting and kalso- lining with guarantee. 032 Blue

Lakes.'

MONEY TO LOAN OiT'Twin Falls dwellings. • Lowest rates. Long termx

Qulck-Setvice. 8ANCER-J0NE3

Real Estate — L ^ n s - . 123 Italn E . ' Phone 127

Id weather is around the Let- us repair your family’s

shoes a f a reasonable price. Twin Falls Shoe Repair. 132 Shu* street

HOUSES FOB BENT

BEAL ESTATE FOE SALE

TIME TABLESthtdules . ____ _________

and motor stages paaslng through |T v Falls dally are as foUows:

OBEUDN SnOBT U N B BM theina —

iNa SCI, learea —____ 8:5(r£ 'iu .jNo. C72, leaves ............ 3:13 p.

3 acres land, 4 houses. ton and Heyburn streets. F4y-JVr“ Eaton. • . ■ •

Dally Kxeept Scnday No. 830. to Wells. r». — 6:30 p. m.

Nertlibotmd Nfc.SlO, from wTUs. a r_ 2 :W p .ia ,

UmON PACIFIO BTAOES

—4 0 'acres on North Side Twinl F a lb trac t with or without atockl nnd machinery. Box 2C7-T, ca Times.

6:10 a....................... ......... .... 0:20 a.

I Arrives via Northslde i:20 p.1:80 p. m.;

acres adjoining Kimberly— hve.w>m dwelling, garage, fnilt trees, nice lawn, J2000. Peavey- Taber.Co. Inc., 202 Shoshone S t -

E xtra good 10 acrtis tliree miles ■from Twin Falls. Electricity,' .school bus, deep well wjth pres-

oyatcm:-Famlly orcluird. Im- ale possession. See or wrltel W. W. Powell, Rt. 1 , , ’Twinl

10 acres. JI.OOO.W full price. N orth of Plcabo. Good water right, house, bam. chicken house, gravel road, fenced, W mile from school and high­way. Crops: grain and hay.

• SUDLER -WEOENEB . AND COMPANY

Close In on good road. Finest soil. 1-room plastered house with bath. Chicken equip­ment for V,000 chickens. Owner leaving for Calif. Must sell a t once. <3730... .

WANTED y o BUY

■Wanted to bay or trade for beds, spritags,. tn&t- trcssca,. Btovcfl, dressers, rugs, chairs. Hnyca Fumi- turo Exchange. PbODO 73.

w o o r,BOSTON,-SepC 25 (UB-W io!

rricrs were-firm in the Boetoa market despite a tendency fordo-, mand to'slocken tho U. B- agrlcui- ta re , department.reported today.. Fine territory wools of average to good FrcBch comhing length,

-v lB o r ig ln a lb a e * B t8 8 lo scoured basis, whije linos

■' comb-

....d.'baBis.pricesj t'moderate;tuiTi«. itoi7 wool8,whlch; SI G«Ats,;Mour«d Dff,94-.blood and' ts,-floourcd.-basis,'

ClassifiedDirectory

iAUTO TOP '& BODY WOBKfl

EAIB DBESSEES

0 oil Permanent, 5J.t». Kloai uty^syp; 236 Sixth Ave. E as t

PermanenU — tt.BO to . (0.00. I Shampoo and finger wave, jWc iMabel.Marie Beauty Shop. ISO iMaln North.'Phone 117.

Permanent waving., flngerwav-

............... — _____ -II per-|monent9.from $1.D0. Artistic Beau- Ity Salon. 2nd floor, 135 Main W est iPhone 109.

OPTOUETBIST

PADTTma — DEOOBATINO

SHOE BEPAIBINa

iTcs -,..„ ,-10 :5a a. bj.Ives -.1 • ........ 7;1B p. m.ives via Northslde— 8:05.p. a . Iv e s_____________2:88 a.

l^UOSUOf.'E-KETClID!l{Northboiud

(Arrives Ketcbum a t 3 p. m.)...... Southbound

I A rrives...........................C:30 p. 1

CAPITAL ^ LINES ' •Oally Except Sunday

■We»thoyn!l ^

I Leaves ...

Arrives .

Beal Estato Transfers

loformaUon Fn-niihed by ' iCTln Falls Title and

Abstract Company

WXONBSUAY, SEPT. 23 Deed M. Edwards to S, G. Baker,

iSlO, lou 15, 10 suburban trac t No. 1 Artfslan City and Subii ’ itracta. ..] Deed S. H insing to F. Taute. *1.200, lot 2. block 18, Twin FalU.

[ BUTTER, EGGS jH.4N ritANCISCO

SAN FIU N aS C O . Sept. 2 i (UEI —Butter: fi2 score 28«c: W score 31c; 00 score 33«c: 89 score 33c,

Eggs: large 334c: med, 234c: small Wiic.

Cheese: fancy flats 19uc: trip- le u 10c.

LOS ANGEUSS LOS ANGELES. S ep t 25 (lU!)—

Butter: extra 37Ud:.prime flrsU iS l^c: atandarda-31c: uodergmde

.18i4c:,longhDnis IBc: loafs 21e.

CHICAGO. Sept. 25 (ItEi—E m :...................ady; receipts • 7?70

____ -graded 'flrsta -20Vic.

1; :fitsh

receiptji 23^c: checks iSa____ r: Market atoady; recelpU

9117 tubs:cxtra-«t8ta32e% toS3Ci Bctta 33l^c,'.:flr«U SIHc tor'U ci specials .31c ..to .3lHc:..staad«r<U 33o: c e n l r a U t e d , 8 2 c . . . .:

- 10; Twins '1 3c: to -MVSiCj ,_____ I 8H 0 to : l 8»ic: ionghoruJIlSHo to lB*4t. ••

WANT.ADS SRINO ilSSULTS;

Today’s Markets and Fiiiancial NewsLIVESTOCK

DEN-VER UVES70CK DEJNVER, Sept 26’ (UTJ—CatUel

3S0; aundy to'lower;, beef steci i7 to 50.05; cows and heifers J l t . '$9.50; calvcQ $1 to $8; feeders and ;aiockBrs 31 to J5.75; bulU ; i tc J1.75.

Hops, 1.100; steady to strong, top 510.20; bulk 510 to $10.15; packing sows 58.75 to ?0.25; pigs *0.50 to 58.

Hhcop, 17,000; asking Wgfior, fat ;iambs 53 to 59.15.

CinCAGO LIVESTOCK CTIICAGO. Sept ^5 (L’i ) —Hogs:

.000; m arket steady; spots stronger Uian Thufs. average; un­finished light lighta tinder pres­sure; sows weak to aoe lower; top

. bulk 20 Oto 200 lb. wts. to to SlO.20; most well finished '*10 to 200 lbs. 58.05 to 510; best

iws J9.10.CatUe: 1,500, calves 600; slaugh.

• -------- - stM dy In

l l E A r S I B i N A E S P H

Iter c lassu jfairly acUvo w< I med. w t 'Steel I better grades i 'lower.g • •

;-mlJ<ilo and

and leas for com. gmssers;: Imost heifers under 57.60; plain I ffiau e n t-g o ln g -a t-W .W -to - W;; few beef cows up t o '*5.25:-bulkII.25 to 55; cutter grades 53 tc 1( 1; bulls and ’vealers steady; out' *irie_siiusagO>UlU_33.73i_yeaic« largely 510 to 511; fow selects atIII.SO; stockcra and feeders dull

■- 60c decline.___ . . 0,000. including 3,500- di­

rect. fa t lambs active, strong to 26c higher; top native and range

59.50; bulk natives $0.25 w esterns-58.78 to *0.50; — to kind; sheep nnd feed-',

steady: top 71 lb. feed- *8.60. '

OMAIIA LIVESTOCK OMAHA. S ep t 25 (tlE) (USDA)L

—Hogs: 2,500; opened strong to 15c higher to ouUUera- ;«pots 23o up on 100 itss. down; later slow, around steady; top *10; better 180 to 250 lbs. *0.50 to *9.00; heavier w ts.'scarce; good to choice 160 lo 180 lbs. 58.75 to 59.76; fow 59.85; light lights 58..to *9; few59.25.

Cattle: 1,000, calvea 200; 'fed ;eers and yearlings steady; all le stock steady to strong; veal- r» strong; stockerj and feeders ow. weak; smaU lo ta . sbortfcd

.:eer3 $7 to *8.10; odd head'cholce belfera *9.10; practical top veal-

a 57.Sheep; • 0.000; Iambs genemlly

25c higher; sheep strongi feed- — steady; bulk range lambs a t ...J5 to *0; ono deck 58.28; bulk sorted choice sa tires *8.73;*3.50 down. .

. OODBN UVESTOCK OGDEN. S ep t 25 a'.E)—(U5DA)

—Hogn. 20; steady to 15c hlghi best local butchers *10 to 510.1 . mixed Wnda around *9.90 down; few pocking sows *7.50 to *7,70; ■

Cattle, 870; alow,' few loU plain heifers *1.25 to *1.00, few. head med and good cows *1.15 to *1,75,' lower grades »3 to *1: odd ' •*4 to $1.75; T b i i r r w DOS lb <TdahO' fed steers ' *SJ», odd ioU »m to med drivela steers and! j«tferB.*5 to *5.50; calves mosUv; (6 to *9; auction sale, 2a. cars qwU-i Ity improved over lost sale; cor Rood icd Idaho steers 1.110 lb >7.25; several loads steers *0 to' IC.60; load feeders *5.00, two loads

rat Idaho raw s ^heep,.-4.780; eked-in Iambs »>, iwca ou t of load *3;-Thurs truck

load med lam bs '*7.25. car 125 lb Oregon ewes *2J35. lead 111 lb ilain .Oregons *1.76.

i

Sept. ......1.13 1.10 X 12i,il.lO ,Dec. ...... ;..05^ 95S, Olij 05H|May ____ 0114- 01i,i 89« flOH

OaU:Sept .... - 4 2 4 , 12«i -12Dec.---------12T, 1314 12UMay .... .....13u 134

•Ityo:Sept. •.... :._.85%Dec. ____ 83i)iMay ......... Sly,

Barley:Sept ...... J5»1BDec. ....... .79^ B

CASH GRAIN C H I C A G O . S ep t 25 IttE)—

Wheat: No. '4 mixed *1.17u. ' Com: No. 5 mixed.*1,11; No. 1'

yellow,*1.15; No. 2 ycUow J1.12M, to *1.10; No. 3 yelkrw *1.12>i to *1.11; No. 1 yoUow *1.114 ‘ ' *1.1 2 4 ; No. 6 yellow *1.11;3 white *1.22; sample *1.014 to *1.00.

Oats: No. 1' white 104c to |17^tc; BW white 154c to 17c:

Barley: sales *1.15 to *1.10; feed Sc to 85c; nultlng *1.15 to *1,19, Tlmethy seed: old crop *5.75 to

*3.75.Cfover seed * l l 'to *21.

Ins *10.25; heavies asd.irBhtllehts'S9.70;- paoklhg sows *8,50;.------ -feeder pigs *g i8 . -

Catyo, 70; calves. 25; de lorrow, few early sales; hlds0 250 •• low er;: com. steers ___irouad *1.75 to $5.75; part load: heifers held above *6.50; good-bec(

quotable *1.75 to *5; low anU'cutter w w fW to»3;—

bulls acATce;' quotable to *5.25 .. above;, g o o d 'to choice vealers

*0;.ew6»«.t<>;*335,

SAN intANCISCO XIVESTOds

averages *l0,03.".eortod, 1* head • a y e m ^ 178 lb:*lO to

* i0 .1 0 ,'< iu ^ le top att)und:*10,75i paeklDg sow i.strong to 25e higher, half-load' 280 lh'a6wa..*7.75;..piin toad .J32 lb. NebtMka a l a u f pigs *10. tw o loads 89 io .l i averages SO to *9J 5 0 . . .

Cattle-138: mosUy steady, half- 900 lb rteers from.locali

cent shrink;, ghiaaiRteersI

load good-MO lb Aeers resd'Iot 58. w ith 1 per « package com 1.08S lb gi (5.00: best gmss.helfers-quowa ii; to' *9 or- allghUy. above:' cowj ijuoted'. »b«Uy.i.*6Jl5 .Uown,!:low cutlerv-cpttem mostly.S3.25 to *1: odd bulls.up .to S535,'la,U T buw : d«y.' two loads med wansed-up

Bbeep.-3 .100 . d l i^ t 300: h6U- m n m : lam to n o ttty 25e lower il‘:tw tfr4 l^ .'«**»:«bout r te ^ y ; , u t-deck Rpod 70 4b ColU .WMied

S8,70rtwo^colgi'good 77 to

. -JLONDOIf'. 3A R s n .v r j t „,-LOJfD0N..S«pt .S 5 - m ta*er-v/na itxod At. }9u..penc«. an

N. Y. STOCKS

CHICAGO, Sept 20 (Uil-Per-I ,slntent pressure of liquidaUon soles forccd w heat prices d ( ^ ^ o l

......... J close wheat wasto H i, S ep t S1.17H, com'4 to up ,2-«, Sept *1.15%, oaU were off 4 to S e p t 12 ccnts;' rye was off \% to iip r " ‘ ' 87T4 ccnts. '■ Weaknesa a t Winnipeg and leas pessimistic ensp news from Aus-

,tnUla slwok the confidence of local longs.

Selling pressure was brisk in the f irst half of the session. Local and outside longs supplied the

,bulk of tho offerings which we absorbed on a scale down by coi_ , mission houses. .Modem 'M iller'sreport of fi— ------ --------------the seeding ..main pit>duclng area and the factl no settlem eofhas been rc&ched in

OIIAIN 7ABLES CHICAGO. Sept. 25 (HE)—Grain'

'range;.High lo w ao*e

W heat; - 'Sept .....1.18?i 1.18»i 1.1 0 4 1.17H

United A ircraft ____________United corp_____________U. a -S tee l, com _________ 70W arner' nr*« ’ oW estern - ___ ____ ______Westinghouse E lectric-;.= ::.lF. W. Woolworth Co.............American notltng Mills ___Armour __U. S. -

POTATOES IroAIIO FALLS POTATOES

I D A H O F A L L S , S ep t : .JS D A l—Upper valloy and TwI Falls jQurley bulk per cw t cash 1 ------------------- ' a mosUy 85-10 03.

aUCAG O POTATOES CHICAGO, S ep t 25 (Special)—

W eathor clear, .tempcmture 63;, shipments 051. arri<cata ' 7 7 , 'track 271. supplies very liberal; demand good, stock fair, market northern — iboUt steady.' western stock,

Idaho ‘ ru u e t Burbanks

Immature few generally gIty, early Friday 1 --------t i a c l c a r 2.10, 1 — ____ture fa ir quality- and 'condUlon.2 - - ISO, 1 car 1.75. lato Thursday

r,2 .00..N o.-2 'early Friday 1 ,— 1J5. 1 caj- pracucally * from cuts and clipped ends.

Thursday 1 car-sdm e v-..y Friday 1 car mixed No. 1‘fair, quality and condition 1.75 and 2 1.00. late Thursday 1 car m L .. No. 2 1.S0 aad culls 1 .25;'Waah.< njsSet Burbanks early . Friday .1; ' fine quality-large 2.50, 1 carj

Igrade 1 car bakers 2 ,20,-laU Thursday ! car heavy to-large,

car 2.10, ,1 car’ 2.00, i I car 2.00,-1 car l-«6, 1 car j ture 1.85, late Thursday, 1 caj Up sacks" unwashed L05, 1

trtumphs No. .1 and pMtly. gmded 4 car »ome decay.,1.7B;'..Wl*.V.cobi M«m 1 car t75 , 6 .cats 1.70. 2 cws 1.05,.la ta Thursday'S c a n 1.70;

Thursday; I r e a r ' l-l5.:-;i - a x - 1.10; North Dakota wbbleta l car 1.75, partly g ra d e d ! car 105. Bliss tri­umphs No. 'l - aad ' partly-, gnded: • car 1.60; Mkh.-cobblers l . f - '

70 __ONION:MAKi;£T

CniCAGO, S ep t 25 tU B - ^ lo h n rlcu . (50-lb. sacks): minoitf^ yel* lews,-Me. to .aOci matana yellows aoe to 00c; MlehIgan;yeU«w«.80c to.OOe: Indhiaa wSltea,-.85c to —

NEW TOnir. Sept; 25 (CJO—The market ttosed lower, . ■'Alaska Juneau -------IB4Allied. .Chemical — ____i_221' !Ams-Chahnara ________56HA m erican-can •__ _______ _12t '

Kaoiator

I M S DECLINE ONFMB

.* S a u t4 F * ;T

AmeHeanAmericanAnacondaAtchison,AUanUcAuburn

Bendbc'Avlatlnn ........jBethlehcm Steel ____ -; Borden Co. ......... ..........IJ. L Case Co......... .............Chi., lUI., St, Paul i , Pac......:Chr>-aler Corp. ........ —_____1Coca Cola .

Continental Oil of Delaware.. 32U.Corn Products .......... .......... 094Du Pont de Nemours .............15951

Electric Pow er'* L ig h t__General 'E lectric ________General General 1

National Dairy ProductsNew York Central ;........Packard — '

- 18«. ... 25?i ... 414

Paramount Pictures . J. C. Penney Co.Penna.'-B. R, .......... ..Pure Oil .................. E i

ISocony Vacuum - ISouthcm Pacific .Standard Brands ....................... .Standard Oil of Calif. ..i-........ 85?;Standard Oil of New Jersey. 01 Texas Corp. ..Trahs-Ametica

Markets a t a, GlanceBy United P re ss '

S t^ k s fraetions to 2 points - lower lii active trading. ,

Bond!! lower in active trading;’' U. S. govemmeot issues declin/V.

Curb stocks lower. . / . Foreign exchange’weak; sterl- g more than 2 centa lower:

French frane and guilder a t gold po in t '.' Colton about 25 c u ts a bale lower.

Gmins; w heat I 4 t o ' i n cents .lower; com off 4 to. 2M higher; loats off 4 to ry4.6ff‘i4 to 1,' nubbcr off 1 to 3 points-

i E . i r

ay 1 Fund. TWat, A. „ free, Ojrp—T rust 1.60, Quar. Inc. L

^ A T O E SO ct delivery___:_____Jan. delivery _______ __

nOLC 2» i.'P c t _*10I.025-*101.75 FFMC.S Pct. ------*101.125-*101.25

, ^.»nNINO M ln..C ity_Capper_;. *"•

'P ark City Coosol. —SUvar .IOng Coalition - - be.M inesTintic s ta r

•NEW YORK, sep t. 2 J .m o . Uiultots reaotcd toda? to » criaU In, the traao altuaUoar' .•

Stqcks lost- fractloivt to to’ore than .2 po ln ts 'ia a buiat of seU-

ling- tha t -.caused .tlokera. to lag th ree ' minutes in. lhp iat»-morn­ing. *nipreaftcr .th e ' llst quieted somewhat and leadaia came bsick sligfiUy from the Iowa.’- ' m 'd o l l a r aoared* The“T ranc sank far below its gold point and

I vast amounta of gold were engag- led fo r shipment t5 N6w yorltl^Ac-, --------- devaluation o f ^ h efranc was anticipated o r c r ^ e

Ilailroa'd shares ’wcre’*tt)> first to decline ohd oome of the selling waa 'said to be coming from for­eigners.' Dow Jones’averogea showed: industrial 100.20 off 235; roUrooa 55.11 off 1.11; utlUty 33.63 off 0.51. J-TranascUoas—w or-o—WlSiSOll— share*, compared w ith 1.192,810 shares yesterday. Curb sales op-

ited 317,000 shares c

Loca! Market*BUYING PU1CE3

Soft wbcat ...._________ __S7e •Oata, a hundred __________*liO ,Barley, a hundred — *1.50

Beans(MarkeL fumUhed by I t EL T..' Tarnand, U. S. Bean In spee to rj'

lOverweight Botehera, 250 to .

UDdcrwelght-Butchera,. l25-to: -160 pounders ______„ :..*0M ’

Packing aows,.light’— .____ *7.00 'Packing-flowa, heavy .i_ _ _ * 6 .5 0 '

- MIU Feeds. Bran. lOO.lbs..;- Bran.''600-lba..:

. ATTENTION FARMERSI. ..Wm ibU te r and t ^ C a i ta for Dead or Worthless'"'

^ • ;.H p M B s ;r - :, 'c p ;O T .f-^ '8 n 3 S E P ■ '8 im piy '.p i^a ':tw to 's iili.8 i4 l:.a Serviee^W e p V fot.'the can

iDAHO-HIDE and TALLOW CO.. Geidea Brawl Im prond Ueat^SeniM and v '

OoUen Brand B«M IMeal .Ulgbest Prices n u d tor illDBS >- 1 BLTS - FOBS - \V 0 0 t

Om Mile B»rt aad i i S^ntli e l T>rin BMU

t-OS-ANOELES LtVEST09K-'i>.xos. ■■AKoSLea.- sept.'ja -me

Cattle; 250. q u a .lltr '^ tp la in , itsady; t w steers SS.75 to .se .2S; graat .,beUen»-;S5.70 'Jdbwn; «6ek ibelferVlSrCQ'to S6:-cow i;^.6p to SS.6O: o u t& ^ e t^ S 3 .7 8 t^ i^T S :

avia ilXMO,. sUidyf;'oiea.>Arte iiv M iS tm ./ • "

H a v e ITou E vevll Stopped To Thinkt^

a»,-Bot:copppt«ig..iorrW .Bljor:ip;iot*-,Trith.>liiio .':L ;. .-doalcr.-who•bsi yopf.:-'b?ttas_iIn‘,Btofsger—•'Jon'are’. J .i'c ttm poH ng iw ith 'o thor'beag 'vproducbg.'stilcfl.! m p ij-:'?;. 'b e t te r able to ycFUt '’ '

The Trinidad Bean &

Page 9: Ghiriese Triq^ iii Move Nearer Vital Test% SKariglim ...newspaper.twinfallspubliclibrary.org/files/Twin... · , ;VQIi.XtS:. NO. 147-t5 CENTS. TWIN PALLS, IDAHO,. FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER
Page 10: Ghiriese Triq^ iii Move Nearer Vital Test% SKariglim ...newspaper.twinfallspubliclibrary.org/files/Twin... · , ;VQIi.XtS:. NO. 147-t5 CENTS. TWIN PALLS, IDAHO,. FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER

v gage. Yen..

pto lo rlito W arnfld o f Danffera S nrrotm dlfig O hlldreu '

‘ In T r t t f f ic

■ ■■ ■ An upptal to both moleflsta and T piirtnU lo coopcrato In prolectlnff

Mliool children on Uioir way to and m m ocbool v>u luucd today

, , Jiy tho Idaho ■ State AulottoblJB AnoclatJon, R, G. Cole, manai^tr.

, , •.'Teflchera.,pollc« and the achool Bofety patroU aro working to pro* tec t tlie children nguin^t tbo dong* era of tm f/lc,” the tlub ■tatcmtat Btiid. "but to he fully cffceUvn;

. • • th d r .efforta muSt be backcd up by .• ' Mopcratlve nctlon on the part of!

parents, and motoriala.• • "Upon parents resta tho Miomn

:respoaslblilty-to warn their child-

LEGION’S CHIEF

- In croMlnc tho.#trteU and to ini'> . press upon them the need for cau- . ; ; tlon a t ftli'Umca. Upon molorUta

. ..rea la the equally Rrave reapon*!- ’ ' hlllty • to drive with ..tho utmost

. cora In tlio nclehborho^ o f ' t he i ' . . acHooIi'ana alonu all street* where ' ' . Iat7;e numbers 'o f children aro on • their way to or from tho clasa-

, , , rooms.\ . Effort Needed

"Partlculttr.need for extra ef- ' Sort this year la.causcd by the In-

• m a se d number-of children who v n r ^ gobg to: seliool and • tho

:.'r. . ' ShwlStVaa*K r e s u l t 's IlkellbMdl • or accldcnt 'U 'm aterially IncreaS'

^•■Wlth' the aid of the school saf- . e ty patrols and dally lesaoiu. In

th e ctaMTOom,-th# fatality rccord p t ichool-age children, ha* shown

' steady’improvcmciit over a period

:: . ..• -.'.'.'IWlth ruU.eooperallon by leach- ’•e;S,-.'poUce; tho 'sttfety patrols.,mo;

V . -tortil*,','parents.'(Uid . the achool -- '(^dren.lfaem selves, thU'improTO'

L.-,X - 'iRBat'cin be.oontlnuetf;' U t ' it bo i ‘ • eu r bbJe«U»B to'make this tho oaf-

.'.V.. e s t . s c h o o l '^ on recordl" '' ; ' ( r AXmbst'fflur hundnd patrol boys

gltW are on duty in southern' ■V V .• Itfaho and th e y ,« « protecUn{r the ••• -•■•-•.llirwofKiuoro-thaatenthouM nd

. - ..-. puiito . of grade school age. Cole

" I K I M E N

[Hoiuo ? rs s id e n t3 'a t Idaho U; ’ R evea l N a n its 'o f New

F r a t Proapects

MOSOW, SepL.2'3'(Speclal) — iFoIlcwifis an actlve wccit of rush­ing a t the University of Idaho, bouao prcjldeots had announced lo^

I (lay the liat of plchs, and In ' the Isouthcm-ldaho list are Included: iR q lph .Jac^D . nuport, Tau Kap­pa £psiloil:.'Calen Banner,.Twin

iFalU. Kappa' Slgma: Virgil’ Hal­b e r t Jerome, ■ Slgma.Nu; Ronald I^nrke, Burley, Phi Delta Theto. -

Other pledges'and theic. hauaes Included H orn ' I:«Mayn^’'- ^ man. Woody - Reed.',

,BoU ThoU Pi:-Bob M llhiv'.l___field, DelU'.Tau Delta; Ifl6yd‘. l ^ . ono. Lea LUcobi. asd Fi«d-Drdla;„

'a ll of Twin Falls,’ VicSklles;-Bur­ley. Dean -yVhltely And Rsx K«iU> inger, Rupetl, SIgjnavAlpha Epal-

lion: Ted Alhm and Dudley Ruther­ford, Buhl, Roy .SmlLh. Twin KalU, Lambda Chi Alpha: Willard Wesa- 'ling, DuhJ, AlAba Tau Omegn: Les­ter Trcntsted, Burley, Bob Nel-

Ison. Twin' F a l^ Stojiko Pavkov, Goodlntr. ncHB^fTW- Hnh , Klr,-hi.>

fu n e r a l Bervicej Being FlomiBd F o r Jerom e M an S tricken '

N ear F a irfie ld ■

fEROKE. Sept. M .O jw plia j- '-y u n tra l, «rvlees-w«M ^ in ff /a r- 'TMged'.today for niucoo j.'Cailcn, .02. -prominent Jerome m ident who dropped dead yesterday after-

. noon on the highway near Falr- . Jleld..•‘.-(A l'-tbe Urn#'of hl» aclzuro Mr.

i‘- Call«n".wa* WtumlnB ■ to Jerome -J] w ;th a party of frlendi. He asked ■■ ■list they etop'tho ear and aa be ■ ■-jot ou t'he fell dead.' .

:l..H «:«as bom 1/i^October, IBM.• Sur»l>dDg are. hi*, wife. Mrs. Mar-

ig v e t CaUen; iwo .sons, Carl, and -'Paul'Callen, and . two. daughters,■ lars i'C arl Johnson-and .Mrs.'f-alahj

Hftnllflg; all of Jerome. •' : ' Re alM ieavds his parenU,'J>Ir.

-M ri. B.' A. .CaUen, Jerome; .seven/brothers, Oick.'.Gua, Tom.l

V.;Biienos. Bert and Chrla, aU of ! Jeh)ne;..«nd m isw orth,'Saa Dl-'

. ':isg!o; ,:Callf..' 'aiid a sUter,. Mrs.

•;: i . : ; - ' SMOKER BUBNS BED i;- v'..r. JEROME.'.aei»t;2B (Special)— [.'.--'v. Aitir'-Bettinff a -ftre .Uiat burned

tha.bM elomea'la hls^room In lha •.-Eorekft botelrhere Tuesday; jilght

< j- ■••wlUt ft.spark from -'the'cisarolta - ha was smoking Jelaurely in be^

V. ; John Bibner. lS , 'decided to lea' •fy.-' ■th'o «unlry,.4ccordlnB :-to;.W, i i i . - H O T O i i ; city- tnorshal,.- w ho. wi

-^tiOa&DtieiB'-have'- a n ' averag* -lUf

irT|KEt-fBKPiHE;«UIQ£:or : -"Tousrew^rinniNa t» T a a --■ nm,-.......

' -saeptol' t ta te f - M m ___::vMdc.Wt'«bIilB'.«m7nae's .

U arr)' w . Colmery, Topelia,' Kan., was elected tmtlenal com­mander n( (he American Legion a t lU Cleveland convention. He Is nn attorney ood has held >bv>- eml Important berths In the Le­gion.

PLEDGES LISTED

B l g g L L

BUHU.Scpt, .a5 (apcclBl)—The Buhl Indians were*.In Caldwell

'this afternoon to tackle;the pow­erful Coueara In .tho opening Big 10 game, for both teamsf . •

Judging from the accurate foot- bail, tl}e fast running alUck. and forw ard , and. lateral paas« that tho Braves uaed to defeat Wen-i dell.2 i-0 last Friday, local fans'

an Idea th a t the green Buhl "would put.'up a. real fight

against the experienced Caldwell team. . .r' Coach Floyd Bowers-took ,24

men on the trlp,.-and Indicated tho starting llneop would, probably bo Hobiing, Vooller,'Cnds;.Bankhcad, Joalln, tockleai Richmond.- Shields, C u a n Js :B ro w n ,- center; Boyd. C?irle,. halfbacks;, SmaJley,, quar- torb«l<;.MoplilB». fullback.

Dr. ‘BoyMtw,' t oot apcciali* t. OV-, r a .O .A n d ^ o n .F b 8 0 » ^ .^ d y ;

rnAHO .EVENING TIMES.- TWIN FAl.l.S. m AHO

IN S C U S t|D ella Oam ma S o ro r it; a t Idaho!

U nlvera ity L ead W om m .In B atlngs

, MOSCOW (Spccinl)- — i'Deltaj iGunma sorority-women and Sen- I lop hall men proved thi«iiflr>ii«->tho beat irroup scholaraat the Uni- yerslty of Idaho losKycar. lahow- Ing their academic hee^ to 28 oth- .^r siuoent resiuuico groups';. ‘..D elta Gamma ranked f l ^

ihoi entire ll8t;%yllh an average! grado of .4.810,' computed on tho| baeis of 0.000 for perfect pi\ all' "A ".grades. .Senior ball iopped; tho men's division with ‘(.M l nv-' erogo; Sigm a, C h i fratdmlty. fourth on Uio men's l is t won the first leg" on Uie new Interfrater- nlty council trophy, T»mpcU6n for which is limited to tho 13 fraterni­ties a t Idaho, nil but one t ‘ nationals.

* Trtipbles Presented . , Dr. M. 0. Ncnl, president of the]

university, presented tho trophies' and announced .tho standings nt th# opening convocation on Mon­day. Tho-completo list folows:

Women— Della Gamma. 4 ,8 ,., JCappa Alpha Thcta. 4.737:. Delta Delta Delta, 4.GS5; Pi Beta Phi, 4.G8S; Kappa Kappa Gamnia. 4.e77: -Forney,, hall, ' 4.050;. Hays hall, .-4.00i): Gamma Phi .B eta

•4:C5Z:' "Alpha Uhl’‘O m ejS "4.575; Alpha Phi, 4.030; ■ Women's Col- lejre-club.-4.600.

Men—Senior Imll, 4.01; Rldcn- baugh hall.' 4,478; L. D. S. Insti­tute,. 4.402: Sigm a. Chi, 8.348; Lindloy hall, 4.S20; J>hi - Gainma Delta, 4.325: - Idaho. ?lub,' ' 4,311: Deltl.Chi,-,4.300j;Unlverslty Men's club, 4.208:-Chl'Alpha Pi. 4.204; Beta Thcta Pl,'45at):' Delta ~ — Delta,.<;178; sigm a Alphn' I ion,.,4.102;,Sigma.Nu, 4.084 Delta.V/rhoat, 4.053;' Alpha Taul 0mega.-;<.012;. Kappa- Sigma,' 3.-I »78;.:l4mbda- Chi -Alpha, 3JM0;' Tau'K*PJ>a Epsilon.'3.7Q0. ' ,

■IWaOVorslty average, 4.'33l; ail 'iBOrority - women,

4.0130; other woioen's

iJamea O hristioiuon, 70, ^Wlio| W as Nativti o f,D enm ark;

To Bo Honored

RUPERT^ Sept.-.23_ (Speclaly — ' :Ser*lc^ aro -to tio ^ ie l d 'b ^ ’for ■ Jhmes ChrlsUansoa, 70,„ who tiled

■ ■ '0 home Tuesday evening. He . . . . bom .-Jm y 'll, 1800, In Den- marie and came to this country when ft -young man as a ' convert' to Uio L, D. a. faitlij '

Survivisg nro his wife and the following; sons and daughters: Al­bert CiiHatlanson, A b o rd e o jr ; David Christianson, Arlzona:'Mr8. Everett Claunch. Sterling. Idaho; Herman Christianson, Aberdeen: David ChriaUansoh, Fort- HaU; Mias Elslfi Christianson, Rupert, and -Carl ChristlanMn and Mrs. ^hcm iaa Anderson, Rupert." H d also leaves ono brother, Jo­seph Christhinsos. -Clarkston; two, alsters, . M rs.-F rank Ravestlne, Clarkston, and Mrs. Ernest Cox, Salt Lake a^y . -

Tbe body rests .,a t- th e Paj-nel mortuary,' Burley.-' • '

'Tho h ii^est and lowest points In Iho'U oltediStates.'nro-located In, CalIfomU:.Uouflt 'Whltsey, 14,090 feet W ghj'D eath 'V alfsy.'S te jee tl below.-iw lw d . -

C O N T R A C T B R I D G E' ■ • ---------- ByW )Hain.E..MoKentiey 1

TRUMPS TWO GOOD TRICKS ;

.Confert-in Burlpy

of. th# ^CRA,<:-w m her* * ■

UV Ultl. £ . McKBNNRY

. In bridge the play by which lapparcntly aafely guarded,ciTurap Ihonor Bomoumes la captlifed -U known as a "coup." The term Is iFrench and means n brllUant istroke. -; The play occurs when tli Iclarer Is long In trumps and _ reduce them by trumping to the same,number of trump hold by his right hand opponent. If he trumps a winning card, the play la called a ‘'grand coup."- If he trumps more Uian, ono w inning card, “ becomes a "doublo grand coup."

In today’s hand, there in o very good cKompIo of the double grand coup, by means of which SoutiT ......able to fulfill his contract.

Solntlon to P revious Contract Prob lem '

A K 4V A Q J♦ K Q J 1 0 3 '

1 " - ' - ■ V K 7 4 , » A

* Q 6 4 Rubbcr-^N.' I t S. vul.

South W etl North Eaat ,' 3 * P a » ‘.'

1 .1 . Pass-. . , 44) Pas* g e n in g lend—* K .

I W cafs opening lead o /.tbe king of clubs Is tho conventional lead from his.bolding..and on'thls E ast phiyed the nine, the beginning Lof ,an echo to show ability to n iff tho third round.. WeaC continued with

Todaj^c Ckiatrael Problem East and Wc«t havo bid up

to- four spade*. ' If '^South douMn. csn he defeat the. bon* -traclT

■ ANone - ¥ » 8 0 - i J .♦ 873 3 « 7 9 4 Z

A k j 10

<l>KJO. N, & S. vuf. Opener—V K., Solution In next isjue. '.

M d Wednesday confe” lng :w )tJ tho, cowity -director of 'r tircf a n i his staff. ' , ■ ■ - • i .,

MnrdoeV aald tha t the per cap!,; to average J o r a id ^ pensions hero was (23-which was- m a te ij^ tte same as- for

the ace and - then the olght of clubs,, and East ruffed.. Now South had lost three trl'cks- and, hod to win all tho others '

lake-hU contract.- •■- E aat;retum ed a diamond. and|

South won. He led a spado to tho king, and leamtd that E ast held! flvo trumps origln^ly. The fourl was r6tumcd-‘ ahd tho fiaeaso! Uken,-leaving East with the ■ '

-----1 o f.tn u n ^ .----- _ small heart was won

dummys.jack, and the ten of dhi- -monds-led *ftnd'tramped,—thB 'ltrst . s t o p . ifl shortenljig dcctarer's Itrumps. AnothSr heart was:-won 'by tho queen and the dhimo'nd jock trumped. .- •••',-

Declarer now held two trumps', and .the coup dtustlon was cro- ...............

1, East was forcrt

“Do-Pun” Aittweru'~Vfhat:ta'.I.ilolnff-7-.--i',- . ...

: ,-^U n^aw By.«y.m oaBy.“-':>

tot t ^ hIittd.»JvI'.d«peodent' chUd- roh. towerer.-WM-.allshUy.loww m ix the state, be r ^ r t e S . '> An. Inenaw ' of »3.18 per csise In A u ^ t ^ M ray irted over Ju<y « .

Caasla couQ ly 'a^ ragu ^ t a

Y j o u B r D e i q o c r A t * t o

, .-■ B * ^ -,- ,BoiiiratowlafeK ia-ts thathe :y6uBg.Ueo»cratlfl'«laT»

for'Moriilijr'tat

tho last trlclc with fti Copyright^ ICM, NEA Ber^loo, 1ac.|

The Great Geyser,' In'Xceland.j luui a basin 70 feet in diameter. I f throws up a column of ho t water! to a height of from 80 to 200 fe e t

Now’s tiie Time to ^Buy Ijiat New . . . .

H E A T E RBe Sui’e to See Our Selection First

We Can Save You Money! ,. - •

RIDGEWAY HARDWARE AND FURNITURE e a .

Twin Falls Is Busy[■Building

RemodelingRepairing

■ ■■ B asinass w as Hover bottor..Hesi(!oQt3 of I h m F a lls ari) . . I--.jcally-.'bailding jnlnflctl, Bvidenco o f .th i9 .u .8 c en Jn ;th o .\ ...-JlO.^niWiDK-ponnita filed-visatortloy-by Jo h n S . Bomea,-ii

'.■We lmvfl .roccntlf;.com pleted o u r new. building a n d w « t , ' inTito Tou4o v is i t tis.--We-ll approolau.ui& iop]iortunityj :’

..- to '.talk '.b iul^iiJg;'w ilJi;yott.v

- ;j1SSna)ZATZ!:PIijU< BEBTIOS^ A im ESTnULTQia ,; P H M FO felOX m-O U STO M BM • . - •

Twin Falls• . a w 'R n i r t l i - A t A w

Liunbex Co.^ e T r a o W -L u e -.

I l s id C ar i$aleSafe Bargains, Honest Values

'- P riccs Lave, been slnsbcd Ip th'o bone fo r quick sale o£ -' ...trttdc-iuB jokeii oQ tho f a s t sc llij ig E o rd V-?. A ll m akea' -' -_andJnodel3.-E vcty.-cor ao ld -witb a - 'in o n o y -b M k ^ a r .^ ' , antco, Tho quicker you' com e,tSp>et.lcr y o u r selcoUon.;.?

'35 PlymoutU Sedan, sale p rice - . , '3 5 F o rd V-8 Coupe,.salo''prlcc-.Z-'..;;-

.’35 F o rd V-8 T udor Sedan, t '*35 Ford-V -a F o rdo r Sedan, tr a n k

.; . ,'35 F o rd V-8 T u d o r S c d a n / .8 a le ; ;p r io o ;^ t j «. . ’33 C tnvrn lp t jjli-flnn, BMVmftnnfii

-. - '34 Ford '. Vr8 FoM or, no'tir ' " '33 F o rd T udo r Sedan,-new in Q to r - J i j : : : : :^ .$ i^

- '30 Chcrvolet"Coupci" vci7'gM d"3uX «tt5sLSte8,":^;"'^-‘’30 ChryBlei- Scdad

. * '30 G rahnm Coupe'31 F o rd VJetoria S edan -

• '31 F o rd -C oupe -i-.;.'.-:, .!31'ChoTrolet R oadster-

’2 9 T o rd T udor Sedan .. ' '30 FiJrd F o rdo r Sedan ..

, '29 C hevrolet Coach .- ..-34 Ford^T nick .:new motor-.^

'.’32 F o rd t m V . 167,'.toyL.'.

JUST ARRIVED!Large New Fall Shipment

; Beouiifui:

R T A I N S

jnsotibndllYiiow-^Prieed i

A Slyle for; i Every Room!.'

A Pcmsey. {pature valuef Better.buy aeven] palry at thU low price. ^ -• FLOUNCaO PANELS• PRiacitLA STyms,• COTTAGE SETS •TA rLO RED PAIRS o r lovelv qualin nwrnnP mto_ w i t h aeff-eolorwl bniafaed cuthlon d<iu or bfitbt colored doty.

NEW! Ruffle^ Gotlage

SETS 69lt

mtMam'jaiWMTi'iL■: ,-£jirge,'piurtiw o(3l''..

DoubleBlankets

$1 ,98 ^. 7 0 x M k l ' ;

Plaid d o s i g n s , , sa tc e a ' boundl F a a t color! '

' Juat Arrived!'F ull 'size, sttirdy

Bird: Caigeis

C o l o r s : -.black, green', cream. -Get y o m - w h ile th e y lf ts L ,;-

1000 Bars Crystal W hite

r 6 ,0.23c}Vo rcaervo th e rig h t to

Get Ybwr Share of These! WomehV Fast Color

D ainty slyles,'B uaran tccd fa s t color. T h ey ’re cnre- fully. m ade’and an unusual value a t th is low price. S i m : 1> 44 .' ' '- V . '

Biiff Value t - 3 Tonnd - .

Cotton Batts

Cor $1.00Biiy. and-Sa-yel 'iV:

_ N ew ;ldw-.uni,-B. -BeanUfol-^Vlrgijiilo'Eose?

Dish Set $4*49

32 ■ piece se t,' Coinplote s e rv ic e 'fo r ;c .:o ihc 'r- acta

: ^ .0 8 and up.':-’ ; .,

RaybiiSiiiMBias cut,- lace . trim m ed! Strong flcomsl Sizes 14 ,to

-OutAT A PRICE THAT

WILL C j OSE a RIOT!

J C«m» *url7 m fv o U ^ l u jp o ln to m t l “