Top Banner
25 July 2019 Minutes of Meeting Construction Reference Group Wanneroo Road / Joondalup Drive Interchange Page 1 of 18 MINUTES OF MEETING Construction Reference Group (CRG) Wanneroo Road / Joondalup Drive Interchange Meeting 4 Date: Thursday, 25 July 2019 Time: 6:00pm Location: Wanneroo Recreation Centre 275 Scenic Drive, Wanneroo Distribution: All CRG members and meeting visitors and guests Attendees: Sarah Fry (SF) Carramar Resident Andrew Whiteside (AWh) - Design Manager CPB Justin Pereiru Representing Sabine Winton MLA Fiona Bell (FB) - Stakeholder & Community Engagement, CPB Max Wilson (MW) Carramar Resident Mike Kelly (MK) - Project Manager, CPB Ian Hammond (IH) Carramar and Tapping Residents Association Steve Cole (StC) - Project Manager Delivery, Main Roads Arnan Kartawijaya (AK) City of Joondalup Christopher Raykos (CRa) - Project Director, Main Roads Michael Richards (MRi) President, Banksia Grove Chris Rickard (CRi) - Engagement & Communications, Main Roads Bill Marwick (BMa) Regents Garden Aged Care Linton Pike (LP) - Estill & Associates Independent Chair/Facilitator Harminder Singh (HS) City of Wanneroo Ashley Warner (AW) - Construction Manager, CPB Guests: Harrison See (ECU) Lyndall Adams (ECU) Observers: Dennis Jung Apologies: Lesley Stillman (LS) Carramar Resident Gareth Jones (GJ) Carramar Resident Ruth March (RM) City of Joondalup Steve Bennett (SB) LandCorp Sabine Winton MLA (SW) Member for Wanneroo Steve Hamilton (SH) Carramar Resident Lionel Nicholson (LN) City of Wanneroo Shelley Criddle (SCr) Tapping Resident Chris Jansen (CJ) City of Joondalup Carol Hunter (CH) Carramar Resident Jean Castro (JC) Wanneroo Residents Association Philip Williams (PW) City of Wanneroo Ray Thompson (RT)Settlers Ridgewood Rise Lifestyle Village Lom Piggott (LoP) Public Transport Authority Eamonn Gilmore (EG) Carramar Resident Steve Luplau (SL) Kinross Resident Glenn Shaw (GS) City of Joondalup (Deputising for Ruth March)
18

Wanneroo Joondalup CRG · 2020. 6. 30. · 25 July 2019 Minutes of Meeting – Construction Reference Group – Wanneroo Road / Joondalup Drive Interchange Page 3 of 18 NO. ITEM

Oct 06, 2020

Download

Documents

dariahiddleston
Welcome message from author
This document is posted to help you gain knowledge. Please leave a comment to let me know what you think about it! Share it to your friends and learn new things together.
Transcript
  • 25 July 2019 Minutes of Meeting – Construction Reference Group – Wanneroo Road / Joondalup Drive Interchange Page 1 of 18

    MINUTES OF MEETING – Construction Reference Group (CRG) Wanneroo Road / Joondalup Drive Interchange Meeting 4

    Date: Thursday, 25 July 2019 Time: 6:00pm Location: Wanneroo Recreation Centre – 275 Scenic Drive, Wanneroo

    Distribution: All CRG members and meeting visitors and guests

    Attendees: Sarah Fry (SF) – Carramar Resident Andrew Whiteside (AWh) - Design Manager CPB

    Justin Pereiru – Representing Sabine Winton MLA Fiona Bell (FB) - Stakeholder & Community Engagement, CPB

    Max Wilson (MW) – Carramar Resident Mike Kelly (MK) - Project Manager, CPB

    Ian Hammond (IH) –Carramar and Tapping Residents Association Steve Cole (StC) - Project Manager Delivery, Main Roads

    Arnan Kartawijaya (AK) – City of Joondalup Christopher Raykos (CRa) - Project Director, Main Roads

    Michael Richards (MRi) – President, Banksia Grove Chris Rickard (CRi) - Engagement & Communications, Main Roads

    Bill Marwick (BMa) – Regents Garden Aged Care Linton Pike (LP) - Estill & Associates – Independent Chair/Facilitator

    Harminder Singh (HS) – City of Wanneroo Ashley Warner (AW) - Construction Manager, CPB

    Guests: Harrison See (ECU) Lyndall Adams (ECU)

    Observers: Dennis Jung

    Apologies: Lesley Stillman (LS) – Carramar Resident Gareth Jones (GJ) – Carramar Resident

    Ruth March (RM) – City of Joondalup Steve Bennett (SB) – LandCorp

    Sabine Winton MLA (SW) – Member for Wanneroo Steve Hamilton (SH) – Carramar Resident

    Lionel Nicholson (LN) – City of Wanneroo Shelley Criddle (SCr) – Tapping Resident

    Chris Jansen (CJ) City of Joondalup Carol Hunter (CH) – Carramar Resident

    Jean Castro (JC) –Wanneroo Residents Association Philip Williams (PW) – City of Wanneroo

    Ray Thompson (RT)– Settlers Ridgewood Rise Lifestyle Village Lom Piggott (LoP) – Public Transport Authority

    Eamonn Gilmore (EG) – Carramar Resident Steve Luplau (SL) – Kinross Resident

    Glenn Shaw (GS) – City of Joondalup (Deputising for Ruth March)

  • 25 July 2019 Minutes of Meeting – Construction Reference Group – Wanneroo Road / Joondalup Drive Interchange Page 2 of 18

    NO. ITEM / DETAILS

    1 WORKSHOP PURPOSE AND PROCESS AND INTRODUCTIONS

    Linton Pike welcomed CRG members to the workshop, outlined the process and explained that the workshop will:

    • Provide a project update;

    • Seek CRG comment on relevant matters;

    • Identify and discuss community opportunities and issues associated with the project;

    • Explain the development and construction timing and process.

    A list of workshop participants is provided above. The workshop agenda is provided at Attachment One.

    Linton thanked all members of the CRG for taking the time to participate in the group.

    2 PREVIOUS MEETING

    Linton Pike asked for comment or changes on the previous Meeting Summary.

    • No changes to the previous Meeting Summary were requested.

    ACTIONS ARISING

    Action Arising from Previous Meeting Action Reported at This Meeting

    Aboriginal input to the concepts has not been sought and we will consider if there are any opportunities to do so.

    ACTION: Lyndall Adams

    There are no Aboriginal students working on the public art project and we don’t have the expertise in that area.

    It is too early to know how the works will be understood, interpreted and identified yet and it will be abstract in form and make use of colours, lighting, shadows, textures and finishes. We will look for ways to convey the message and input to the design.

    ACTION: Lyndall Adams

    This is a consideration as the works develop and people will make their own interpretation.

    MR will confirm what impacts planned V8 racing at Barbagallo Raceway may have for the planned intersection closure.

    ACTION: Chris Raykos

    MRWA’s Network Operations advised that Variable Messaging Signs are typically used tin situations like this and would encourage road users to use the Neerabup exit on freeway to access Barbagallo Raceway.

    There is now a level of awareness amongst Wanneroo Raceway visitors.

    Chris Raykos will follow up on use of ITS to encourage use of Neerabup Ave for east west connectivity.

    ACTION: Chris Raykos

    Fiona will liaise with Ian and John to provide information like the bridge images and lighting to post to their Facebook pages.

    ACTION: Fiona Bell

    Fiona offered to send the information to them in a variety of formats for posting.

    Information is being provided and will be circulated to Ian, Mike, Sabine and Sarah.

    ACTION: Fiona Bell

  • 25 July 2019 Minutes of Meeting – Construction Reference Group – Wanneroo Road / Joondalup Drive Interchange Page 3 of 18

    NO. ITEM / DETAILS

    Fiona will look for opportunities to post project information and images at Carramar, Banksia Grove, Wanneroo and/or Drovers’ shops if possible.

    ACTION: Fiona Bell

    We are working on a bridge image and will then organise for shopping centre displays.

    See if it possible for trailer mounted light at the gazebo for Western Power works shining along Joondalup Drive and blinding motorists to be redirected?

    ACTION: Mike Kelly

    The lights were redirected to avoid driver glare.

    Other comments have been received and addressed as we receive them.

    Include the google maps slide presented into the public domain by including it in the next project update

    ACTION: Fiona Bell

    Fiona included the pedestrian and cycle detour mapping in subsequent community updates.

    Approach CAPE Constructions to see if access can be provided from Drovers to Tapping for cyclists through the park?

    ACTION: Fiona Bell

    The area is still a Western Power/CAPE construction site and is not safe for cyclists to access. The footpath has been reinstated and reopened.

    3 DESIGN PROGRESS

    Andrew Whiteside provided a design update explaining that:

    • The bridge will consist of 4 x 30m spans;

    • 2m tall acrylic noise protection will be provided on the bridge;

    • Some tall panels will be installed that will require road closures and these will be completed at night;

    • Our approved working hours go from 7am to 7pm. We are currently working 7am until 6pm, Monday through to Saturday;

    • Landscaping design is 85% complete:

    o The design will provide colour & differentiation;

    o Planted species are from the MRWA Wildflower way schedule; and

    o Native species will also be used from the City of Joondalup’s (CoJ) and City of Wanneroo (CoW) Planting list;

    • A balance of soft & hard finishes will result with gravel and block paving also included;

    • There is little point in planting beneath the bridge;

    • 3 paved coloured selections will be used to match the abutment art work;

    • Plant mixes locally sourced and waterwise;

    • Special lighting (LED lighting) is proposed;

    • The landscape maintenance by CPB will be 3 years. MRWA will then assume responsibility;

    • The general layout and abutment elevations are shown over the page.

  • 25 July 2019 Minutes of Meeting – Construction Reference Group – Wanneroo Road / Joondalup Drive Interchange Page 4 of 18

    NO. ITEM / DETAILS

  • 25 July 2019 Minutes of Meeting – Construction Reference Group – Wanneroo Road / Joondalup Drive Interchange Page 5 of 18

    NO. ITEM / DETAILS

    \

  • 25 July 2019 Minutes of Meeting – Construction Reference Group – Wanneroo Road / Joondalup Drive Interchange Page 6 of 18

    NO. ITEM / DETAILS

    The landscaping and paving plans are shown below.

    A number of questions and answers followed as shown below:

    Q Who owns the resultant paving, landscaping and other assets?

    A Asset ownership and maintenance responsibility will be agreed with the City of Wanneroo

    4 PUBLIC ART UPDATE

    Lyndall Adams – ECU explained that:

    • Colour schemes;

    o Using similar colours to other nearby road projects along Wanneroo Road;

    o Purple not proposed for this project as it is too dark for this application;

    CRG members said that Wanneroo Road wall finishes were not popular – end result was different to how they originally thought it would look;

    • Artwork

    o Artwork will be raised off the surface & be fixed to sit proud off the abutment wall;

    o Some of the conceptual artwork design is shown on the following pages.

  • 25 July 2019 Minutes of Meeting – Construction Reference Group – Wanneroo Road / Joondalup Drive Interchange Page 7 of 18

    NO. ITEM / DETAILS

    Artwork inspirations from St Stephens School

  • 25 July 2019 Minutes of Meeting – Construction Reference Group – Wanneroo Road / Joondalup Drive Interchange Page 8 of 18

    NO. ITEM / DETAILS

    Bridge colours on abutment - Option 1

  • 25 July 2019 Minutes of Meeting – Construction Reference Group – Wanneroo Road / Joondalup Drive Interchange Page 9 of 18

    NO. ITEM / DETAILS

    Bridge colours on abutment - Option 2

  • 25 July 2019 Minutes of Meeting – Construction Reference Group – Wanneroo Road / Joondalup Drive Interchange Page 10 of 18

    NO. ITEM / DETAILS

    Sculpture Locations

  • 25 July 2019 Minutes of Meeting – Construction Reference Group – Wanneroo Road / Joondalup Drive Interchange Page 11 of 18

    NO. ITEM / DETAILS

    A number of questions and answers followed as shown below:

    Q Will the kids see their vision in the artwork?

    A We will go back and walk through the themes with them so that they can form their own interpretation.

    This process was explained to them in the earlier workshops with a variety of elements from all students’ artwork included.

    Some CRG members raised concerns about using ‘pink’ in the colour palette. The general feel was Option 1 was a safer option. However, members were open to including ‘pink’ but to a lesser extent than the other colours.

    5 CONSTRUCTION UPDATE

    Ashley Warner explained that:

    • The design had undergone a Road Safety Audit;

    • Temporary traffic lights were used to allow for east bound access and planned as part of our Traffic Management Plan. We are still working on the timings.

    Completed works

    • Clearing

    • Road construction – temp and permanent

    • Drainage

    • Service relocation

    • Western Power works

  • 25 July 2019 Minutes of Meeting – Construction Reference Group – Wanneroo Road / Joondalup Drive Interchange Page 12 of 18

    NO. ITEM / DETAILS

    main intersection traffic switch included:

    The main intersection traffic switch included:

    • Barriers relocated

    • Intersection closed for weekend

    • Traffic detour

    • Traffic lights removed

    • Temporary roundabout constructed

    • Street lights removed

    • No safety incidents Barriers relocated

    • Intersection closed for weekend

    • Traffic detour

    • Traffic lights removed

    • Temporary roundabout constructed

    • Street lights removed

    • No safety incidents

  • 25 July 2019 Minutes of Meeting – Construction Reference Group – Wanneroo Road / Joondalup Drive Interchange Page 13 of 18

    NO. ITEM / DETAILS

    Associated Community Concerns Included

    • Barrier height at abutments

    • Roundabout safety/rules

    • Wanneroo Road merge lane

    • Drovers Place access

    • Emergency services access

    • Afternoon peak traffic impacts

  • 25 July 2019 Minutes of Meeting – Construction Reference Group – Wanneroo Road / Joondalup Drive Interchange Page 14 of 18

    NO. ITEM / DETAILS

    Stage 2 Construction – Until March 2020

    • Traffic on temp roundabout and pushed towards verge

    • Ramp construction – piers and abutments

    • Bridge beam noise wall installation

    • Pavements and asphalt

    Stage 3 Construction – Early to Mid-2020

    • Traffic diverted onto bridge

    • Deep lift asphalt and pavement is re-laid

    • Several layers of asphalt required

    • Resurfacing existing pavement

    • Finishing works – signage, street lighting, footpaths, landscaping.

    Additional works - Stage 2 & 3 – August 2019 to mid-2020

    • Cheriton Drive roundabout

    • Clarkson Ave traffic lights

    • Burns Beach Road roundabout

  • 25 July 2019 Minutes of Meeting – Construction Reference Group – Wanneroo Road / Joondalup Drive Interchange Page 15 of 18

    NO. ITEM / DETAILS

    A number of questions and answers followed as shown below:

    Q Have any crashes occurred at the intersection since the change?

    A A crash was reported fairly late at night in the north eastern quadrant and there was a slip lane run off reported as well.

    Q What about emergency access across Joondalup Drive now that the roundabout is completed and in use?

    A We liaise with DFES and this is a priority. Temporary access will be further improved in collaboration with DFES.

    Q Can we look at lane marking for Wanneroo Road north bound to avoid possible confusion?

    A We will review this but it should be to code.

    Action: Ashley Warner

    Q What effect has the change had for Cheriton Drive?

    A It is operating well and seems to be working much the same as it did under the original configuration.

    Q What is the timeline for the completion of Cheriton Drive and other additional works?

    A Works to start by the end of 2019, January 2020.

    A number of questions and answers followed as shown below:

    Q Will the Clarkson Avenue 4-way intersection be extended into Drovers?

    A We will finish the intersection with a tie in that can be extended into Drovers.

    Q Is there any value in additional signage to provide better visibility of lane movements?

    A The current design is standard. Road users need time to feel more comfortable with the roundabout and adapt to the change.

    CRG members commented that weastbound traffic on Joondalup Drive has problems with the left turn in to Drovers and it would be worthwhile to look for improved line marking.

    Action: Ashley Warner

    6 COMMUNITY AND STAKEHOLDER ENGAGEMENT

    Fiona Bell explained that:

    • Fiona is out and about talking to the community daily;

    • A range of discussions and issues are raised and many people are waiting to see how things turn out;

    • There are a few new shopping options nearby that increase local competition.

  • 25 July 2019 Minutes of Meeting – Construction Reference Group – Wanneroo Road / Joondalup Drive Interchange Page 16 of 18

    NO. ITEM / DETAILS

    Working with the community – Mid 2019

    • Regular meetings with Drovers businesses

    • Public Art collaboration ECU / St Stephens School

    • Meetings/briefings with community members, DFES and schools

    • Project updates via

    • Letterbox drops, emails and website

    • Pre-condition surveys – extra properties offered surveys

    • ‘Switch’ comms – visible, honest, informed

    Working with the community – Late 2019

    • Regular one-on-one business meetings

    • Regular CRG meetings – what does the community want to know?

    • Major comms - ‘Switch’ completed, Stage 2

    • Regular comms updates – sign up to receive updates

    • Visible in the community – developing relationships

    • 24/7 information line – 138 138, contact within 24 hours

    A number of questions and answers followed as shown below:

    Q Can the time lapse video of the intersection conversion be posted to social media?

    A Chris Rickard to advise and hopes to do so.

    ACTION: Chris Rickard

    Q Are the same issues being raised by everyone at Drovers?

    A No, some say profits are down due to access limitations, others say it is the same, some say they are waiting to see what happens when it settles down after school holidays, and others are concerned with the egress to Wanneroo Road.

  • 25 July 2019 Minutes of Meeting – Construction Reference Group – Wanneroo Road / Joondalup Drive Interchange Page 17 of 18

    NO. ITEM / DETAILS

    7 OTHER BUSINESS

    A number of questions and answers followed as shown below:

    Q Will trees be included in the landscaping improvements?

    A Yes, along Joondalup Drive in particular with CoW input, in addition to typical landscaping.

    Q Why not install the Clarkson lights earlier?

    A There is a lot of work to be done at Clarkson. The design is not yet final.

    Q Tonkin Highway work completed near the airport as part of Gateway is bright and attractive – please don’t be scared of colour

    A Lyndall Adams to propose a concept at next CRG.

    ACTION: Lyndall

    Q The Project Team asked if residents association members have been providing any comment?

    A Ian Hammond noted that traffic, congestion, sight distance, speed and use of roundabout are common topics for discussion and Drovers access is another consideration. Mike Richards noted not much feedback has been received from Banksia Grove residents.

    Q The Project Team asked CRG members if the form and volume of information provided to CRG is seen to be appropriate?

    A That it is about right. People need to be kept informed of traffic changes and impacts in particular.

    8 NEXT MEETING

    Topics of interest suggested by CRG members for future discussion:

    • Artwork;

    • Intersection updates – design and timing;

    • Paint samples – to be provided for clarity.

    The next meeting will be held around October or November 2019 when substantial bridge works are complete. Fiona Bell to confirm.

    ACTION: Fiona

    • Fiona is available to attend resident and ratepayer meetings by invitation.

    The workshop closed at 8:05pm

  • 25 July 2019 Minutes of Meeting Page 18 of 18

    ATTACHMENT ONE

    WORKSHOP AGENDA