SENIOR GROUP GUIDANCE MEETING
Grosse Pointe South High SchoolFall, 2014
While we are waitingFill in Diploma Form LEGIBLY
STUDENT SUPPORT PERSONNELCOUNSELORS
Mrs. Christa Warner 432-5224 Mr. Eric Burson 432-3524 Ms. Catherine Zatkoff 432-3523 Mr. Troy Glasser 432-3521 Mrs. Beth Walsh-Sahutske 432-3522 Mrs. Aja Perales 432-3526
Counseling Office Mrs. Herzog 432-3519
Career Resource Center Mrs. Teresa Bennett 432-3675
STUDENT ASSISTANCE PROGRAM Mr. Doug Roby 432-3520
SCHOOL PSYCHOLOGIST Mr. Scott Bruns 432-3525
1. Explore using Naviance. Save to “Colleges I’m Thinking About”
2. Apply to colleges online either at the university web site or through the Common Application.
3. Move the school from “Colleges I’m thinking about” over to “Colleges I’m applying to.”
College Application Process
Naviance Video Introduction
College Application Process (continued)4. On the “Colleges I’m applying to” screen send transcripts and request Teacher Recommendation (only request letter if needed)
5. Send ACT/SAT test scores from testing company6. Complete CRC paperwork7. Check back to Naviance when you hear a decision from the schools
Where Do You Start?
Sending your TranscriptUse Naviance Family Connectionhttp://connection.naviance.com/gpshsIn the login box entitled “Username” enter
your school ID. For “Password” use your school password
Click on “Colleges” tab at topClick “Transcripts” at leftFollow on screen instructionsSending your transcript is critical
to your application.
Sending Your Test ScoresYOU must send official test
scores to the colleges where you apply to have a complete file.
ACT: go to the website if you have not already sent your score when you registered. www.act.org
SAT: go to the website if you have not already sent your score when you registered. www.collegeboard.com
• FIRST Check to see if your schools require a letter of recommendation
• Face to face request is important (NOT e-mail)
• Choose a core academic teacher that will best represent you as a student.
• Give at least two weeks notice
• Request officially via Naviance in the “Colleges I’m Applying to” tab at the bottom
• Thank the teacher
Ask the Teacher
Teacher Letters of Recommendation
Request in Naviance
Thank You Note
in Two Weeks
• Standard Uniform College Application• Used by over 500 member schools• May be used exclusively or optionally by schools• Includes: University of Michigan, Kalamazoo
College, University of Miami, Albion…
If you use this you need to MATCH your
Common App Account with your Naviance account
When Do Colleges Start Considering My Application?Q:
A:Not until your application is COMPLETE
• College Application (and fee if required)• Counselor Recommendation Form or Letter (if required)
• Official High School Transcript • Official Test Scores• Teacher Recommendation (if required)
Junior Conference Information Form
What Six Words would you use to describe yourself:
What colleges/armed services/ vocational/technical jobs are you considering after you graduate?
Do you have a specific career goal or college major in mind? Are you doing any work that supports these goals?
How hard do you work in high school:
a. very hard (maybe too hard at times) b. hard (especially the night before tests and major papers/assignments c. somewhat hard d. minimally
Using the same choices as above, how hard do you expect to work in college?________________________ What special academic programs would the ideal college have available to you? (e.g. study abroad, internships, co-op program, honors college, etc.)
List your school activities (sports, clubs, music, drama, media, student government, service organizations):
List your awards and honors received:
In what community activities have you participated? (Religious organizations, music, community projects)
When You Write Your Essay . . .
DO:1. Start early2. Read the directions carefully3. Tell the truth about yourself4. Focus on your best side5. Feel comfortable with your anxieties6. Tie yourself to the college7. Speak positively8. Write about your greatest assets and
achievements9. Have someone else proofread before sending
When you write your essay
1. Repeat info. elsewhere on the application
2. Write on general, impersonal topics3. Use the personal statement to
excuse your shortcomings4. Use clichés5. Go to extremes such as too witty,
too opinionated or too intellectual
Write a serious essay, from the bottom of your heart, in the most mature manner possible.
Jennifer S. Senior 1234 Main Street
Grosse Pointe, Michigan 48230 [email protected]
SCHOOL ACTIVITES Grade Grosse Pointe South High School
Student Association Senator 9,10,11 Vice President 12 VOLUNTEER ACTIVITIES Meals on Wheels for Services for
Older Citizens 9
Operation Smile Fund Raiser Gala 9,10 CHURCH Grosse Pointe Memorial Church
LOGOs – Youth Group
WORK EXPERIENCE Caddying at Lochmoor Country Club 9,10 AWARDS Scholar Athlete 9,10,11 AAA for Success 10,11 George Eastman Young Leaders
OTHER U of M Summer of Engineering 10 Henry Ford Hospital Research (11
Campus VisitsThe Office of Admission at Alma college
suggests you ask these questions: How is admission to the college determined? How do I take a campus tour? Sit in on a class?
Have lunch in a dining hall? Stay overnight in a dorm?
Do you have a Career Planning program? What is the school’s overall job placement rate?
What is job placement rate in my intended major? What kinds of financial aid programs are
available? What extra forms do I fill out? Are there any special scholarships offered by the school or its alumni?
Can I have a car on campus during my freshman year?
What are the dorm facilities like?
Five good reasons to choose
Community Colleges1. MONEY – CCs cost a fraction of a four year college and can be a
great way to get the basics out of the way2. WEAK GRADES or TEST SCORES – if you can’t get in to your top
school you may well be able to transfer in after a couple of semesters at a CC
3. WORK or FAMILY OBLIGATIONS – CCs allow flexible scheduling with weekends and evenings so you can juggle your family and work life.
4. YOUR CAREER CHOICE DOESN’T REQUIRE A BACHELOR’S DEGREE – Many service and technological careers do not require a four year degree.
5. YOU ARE NOT SURE ABOUT GOING TO COLLEGE - A lot of high school students have a sense that they should go to college, but they aren’t sure why and aren’t really fond of school. If this describes you, CC can be a good option. You can try out some college-level courses without committing years of your life and tens of thousands of dollars to the experiment.
Career Resource Center
Open 7:30 – 10:30 every morning
Career Pathways, college representative visits, financial aid, college videos & catalogs, summer programs, vocational school information, service information, College Night, Financial Aid Night
NCAA Divisions I & IIConsult the NCAA Freshman
Eligibility Standards Quick Reference Sheet on the website
The new website address is www.ncaastudent.org
ACT and SAT scores must be sent directly to the Clearinghouse from the testing agency
NCAA’s SAT/ACT code is 9999
Financial Aid and ScholarshipsFinancial Aid and Scholarship
information is available both in the Counseling Center and in the Career Resource Center. Now is the time to start researching options for next year.
Attend Financial Aid Night October 23 6:30 @ North
Register with FastWeb: online scholarship search engine
Check Naviance & CRC Scholarship page
Research scholarships affiliated with your parent’s business, religious organizations, vocational interests, community non-profits and the like
Search: G P South Counseling