1 Tulsa Public Schools: Promethean – Module 6
Promethean ActivInspire Module 6
"Heightening Student Engagement"
I. How to charge the ActivSlate
The ActivSlate is supplied with a partially charged battery. You are advised to charge the battery completely before using the ActivSlate. Insert the connector from the power supply cable into the ActivSlate charging socket, and then plug into the main supply. The ActivSlate will take approximately 3 hours to charge.
II. Registering your ActivSlate
1. The ActivHub is needed to communicate between the ActivSlate and your computer. Plug
in the ActivHub to a USB port in your computer before launching ActivInspire. You must
have the ActivHub for the products to work. Multiple products can all be registered to
2 Tulsa Public Schools: Promethean – Module 6
2. Navigate to the Voting Browser
3. Click on the Device Registration Icon
4. A menu will appear, click on the picture of the ActivSlate
5. Click the register button. Type the number of Slates to be registered.
6. Power on the ActivSlate
7. Follow the directions on the screen to register.
8. Your Slate and Hub can now be used on any computer
3 Tulsa Public Schools: Promethean – Module 6
Registering and Using ActiVotes in ActivInspire Registering ActiVotes:
1) Open ActivInspire.
2) When the Dashboard appears, click on Configure…. (If you do not see the Dashboard, go to the View menu and select Dashboard.)
3) On the right side of the Dashboard, click Register devices.
4) The Device Registration window shows all the devices that are currently registered to the Hub (or Board, in some cases)
5) To register ActiVotes, click the gray rounded rectangle with the picture of the ActiVote. The Register button will appear; click Register.
6) In the next window, select the number of
devices you wish to register. More devices than needed can be registered – it is recommended that the entire set of ActiVotes (32 units) is registered.
7) Click Next
8) The next window gives step by step directions as to how to register each device. Note: (ActiVotes will register with names “Device 1”, “Device 2”, etc. in the order they are registered – in order to keep the device names matching the numbers written on the ActiVotes themselves, register them one at a time in numerical order. As you register each vote, the number of devices will update automatically. When all devices are registered, the window will close automatically. (Click Finish if you want to stop registering devices early.)
9) To name ActiVotes, Select the device you want to name, click rename, Type new Name, click OK
4 Tulsa Public Schools: Promethean – Module 6
1) ActivInspire defaults to wanting to use ActivExpressions student response units. In order to get
the ActiVotes to respond properly, the following procedure may need to be done before each use.
2) On the ActivInspire toolbar, select the Express Poll icon.
3) When Express Poll opens, it shows up as a floating circle on your screen. When you move the cursor over it, it will expand a radial menu (a circle of icons around the center).
4) Go to the Settings icon (the gear below the Express Poll icon), and click on
the ActiVote picture to Target ActiVote Devices.
5) This will remove options from the Express Poll menu that are designed for ActivExpressions, such as text and numeric entry, ordering, and Likert scale response. (The Express Poll menu for using ActiVotes should look like the menu shown to the right.)
Application Settings and Profiles for ActiVotes:
1) In ActivInspire, go to File > Settings 2) In the Learner Response System, set
what the default behaviors when using ActiVotes. NOTE: ActivInspire uses Profiles to allow different sets of settings based upon the usage of the software. For example, the Authoring profile gives the user more editing tools readily available, as opposed to At the Board which maximizes flipchart space by removing border windows. Each Profile’s settings need to be set independently
3) While in the Edit Profiles window, the profile can be switched by changing the profile listed in the drop down menu at the top of the window.
4) Click Done to save changes to edited profiles.
5 Tulsa Public Schools: Promethean – Module 6
Gathering Student Responses:
Whether using a flipchart with premade questions on it, or using Express Poll for “on the fly” questioning, gathering responses is essentially the same.
1) Click the green Play button to accept input for premade questions, or use the Express Poll icon/menu for “on the fly” questions.
2) A window with the device names (or the names of students if you have set it up). This window can be resized and moved as needed. As each device responds, its name will turn yellow.
3) A round rectangle with a red Stop button (to stop accepting responses) will also appear under the device names. If you set a time limit on a question (or would like to), the select box to the right of the Stop button will either count down, or you can change it to the appropriate number of seconds.
4) Once you stop the voting or time runs out, the Vote Results window will appear.
5) The type of reporting can be selected by using the left-hand drop-down box. The three buttons to the right allow the user to work with the data further:
Correct Answer – if a built-in question didn‟t already have it, you can select the correct answer.
Add Responses to Flipchart – individual answers can be added to the flipchart as separate objects (this is only best applied with numeric or text entry using ActivExpressions; ActiVote users are advised to ignore this choice.
Paste Results into Flipchart – take a snapshot of the current vote results and paste it into the current flipchart.
For Built in
6 Tulsa Public Schools: Promethean – Module 6
Creating Questions on Flipcharts: While ActivStudio had the Question Master that allowed users to build entire flipcharts with questions, ActivInspire makes it easier to integrate questions into already-made flipcharts one question at a time.
1) Go to the Insert menu and choose Question
2) The Insert Question Wizard will guide the user through adding a question to a slide.
3) Choose a question type
ActiVotes can only respond to Multiple Choice and Yes/No True/False questions.
Choose the number of options: how many possible answers there will be.
Choose to Insert a new question page, or add the question to the current page
4) Choose a design
Select a different template for this page; to keep the page with its current appearance, uncheck the Replace the page content box.
5) Edit the question properties
Enter the question text here.
Choose how the answers will be labeled (A-F is best for ActiVotes). ActiVotes are only able to have one response per question.
To set a timer for a question, check the Specify timeout box and select the time.
NOTE: The question’s answers are entered on this screen, but you must scroll down to see them.
Enter text for each answer
Click Next 6) Assign correct answers
If you want the question to already “know” the correct answer (and will be shown to be so when Vote Results are displayed), check Assign correct answers, and the click the box next to the right answer.
Click Next Follow-on questions are designed only for ActivExpressions to get feedback about the question itself; ActiVote users can ignore that choice and click Finish to insert the question into the flipchart page.
7 Tulsa Public Schools: Promethean – Module 6
Voting with Promethean ActivExpression
I. What you need: 1 x ActivHub - plugged into USB port of the computer
ActivExpression Handsets – one per student
Promethean ActivInspire Software - Installed and running on your presentation computer.
II. About Device Registration
Device registration is the process of telling the ActivHub how many devices and device groups
there are in the classroom. The devices need to be registered before beginning a voting
Device registration is done from the Voting Browser. The picture below displays the
information in the 'Device Registration' Dialog Box:
How many ActivHubs are connected to the computer?
How many devices are registered with each ActivHub?
Once registered, the devices and the ActivHub can be taken to any computer with ActivInspire
installed and begin voting immediately.
III. Register ActivExpression Devices:
1. Before beginning registration:
Connect an ActivHub model AH2 to the computer.
Distribute ActivExpression devices and ensure that they are switched ON.
8 Tulsa Public Schools: Promethean – Module 6
2. To register:
Open the Voting Browser and click on Device Registration. The 'Device Registration' Dialog Box opens.
Select ActivExpressions and click on Register.
Enter the number of devices to be registered (or use the arrows) and click on Next.
3. The next window shows a PIN code which must be entered on each ActivExpression device to be registered. The window has clear instructions, with photos, so your students can finish the registration (you might like to practice the procedure first!)
4. When students are finish with registration, they will:
Press the MENU / SYM button on the ActivExpression devices
Press the Register option key, indicated on the ActivExpression screen
Enter the PIN code, by pressing the ActivExpression option keys corresponding to the PIN code, as indicated on the screen
The PIN code is not entered with the text keys. You need to use the keys around the
When three letters have been entered, as displayed in
the PIN code box on the ActivExpression screen, the
letters are transmitted to the ActivHub and registration
IV. Making Quizzes Using the Question Wizard
1. Quizzes can be created within the ActivInspire software. The Question Wizard presents you with series of Dialog Boxes, each with detailed instructions to help you. To open the Question Wizard, choose Insert from the
menu at the top of the screen and select Question
9 Tulsa Public Schools: Promethean – Module 6
First choose the type of question.
You can select from Multiple Choice, Sorting, Yes/No (or True/False), Text entry, Number entry and a Likert Scale where you rank preferences.
Then click Next
2. Next choose a layout style
This will provide a number of pre-prepared looks for your question page. Or you can just stick with a basic, plain text.
Then click Next
3. Enter text for your question and answers.
Make sure you scroll down.
Use the scrollbar to see all the options for this wizard. It‟s easy to miss them.
Enter the Text for each option.
When done, click Next
4. On the next screen, you can assign the correct
Check the boxes next to the answers that are correct. There can be more than one.
If this is a general opinion question there may not be a correct answer, so you can skip this stage.
Click on Finish to close the Question Wizard.
10 Tulsa Public Schools: Promethean – Module 6
5. You can also add follow up questions. Or just go to another page and repeat the above.
6. Whenever you navigate to a page with a question on it, the Start Vote button is highlighted green and you can click on the button to start a voting session.
V. Further important options 1. Text answers which are nominated „correct‟ are case
2. Numerical answers which are nominated „correct‟ allow a level of error which can be set in the Question Wizard.
3. Likert Scale 4. Sort and Order 5. Multiple Choice 6. Yes/No 7. True/False
Once a poll is active – students can then submit their answer via the ActivExpression
The screen will show how many students have yet to vote
VI. Quick questions and ExpressPoll At any time during your lesson, you can ask your students a question
and click on ExpressPoll to quickly add a quiz to any page and open it
up for voting.
This displays the voting „Wonderwheel‟.
The Wonderwheel helps you communicate your question clearly, so
your students quickly understand how they are expected to answer.
1. How it works
Hover with the pen over the Wonderwheel and highlight a question style.
Move the pen radially and outward to show the options for the style just highlighted.
Click to select one of the options.
11 Tulsa Public Schools: Promethean – Module 6
The picture on the right shows the Wonderwheel for ActiVote devices. The highlighted question style is 'True/False'. This question style has four answering options. The option selected allows the possible answers, 'True', 'False' and 'Don‟t know'.
These possible answers are shown in the displayed 'Voting Summary' Box.
A timeout can now be set, next to the red Stop Vote button, by entering a number or using the arrows.
If your profile already has a timeout set for Express Poll, the countdown starts as soon as the summary box is displayed. When you use a timeout, you also have a Pause Vote button for extra control.
VII. Rename ActivExpression devices There are two places the devices can be renamed:
Rename individual device in the 'Device Registration' Window
Rename individual or all devices in the 'ActivExpression Devices Group' Box
1. Rename individual devices In the 'Device Registration' Window:
Select any individual device and click on Rename. The existing device name is displayed in a box which you can edit
Enter the new name and click on OK. The new name is shown in the 'Device Registration' Dialog Box.
This means it is stored on the ActivHub. The ActivExpression device may be switched OFF, but the next time it is switched ON, it communicates with the ActivHub and receives its new name.
2. To rename individual devices in the 'ActivExpression Devices Group' Box:
Click on Rename. The' Device Naming' Box opens.
Double click on the name and edit it.
Click in the column „Committed‟. The device is renamed as above.
3. Rename all devices with sequential numbering and a common prefix.
In the ActivExpression Devices Group Box, click on Rename to display the 'Device Naming' Box.
Click in the box „Rename all of the devices using the prefix‟ and enter a prefix.
Click on Apply prefix. All ActivExpression devices in the group are renamed on the ActivHub, as described above, with the prefix and numbers, starting with 1.
12 Tulsa Public Schools: Promethean – Module 6
The numbers can be edited separately. 4. Assigning students to devices
Advantages of assigning students to devices and how to do so:
Why assign students to devices? o You don't have to assign students to devices, but to do so can reduce the
time you need to collate and process results and can give you an immediate insight into each students' progress.
o You can assign student names from database files. You can use existing databases, or you can generate and export a database using ActivInspire.
o When you attach an ActivHub to your computer, registered devices are shown in the 'Device Registration' Dialog Box. Depending on the Voting Browser selections, the box shows one of the following:
Device Number - Anonymous voting.
Device Name - Named voting (students not assigned to devices).
Student Name - Named voting (students assigned to devices). 5. Assign students to devices
In the Voting Browser:
Click on Assign students to devices. The 'Assign students to devices' Dialog Box opens
The student names and ID have to be placed in this Dialog Box from a database file. Names can be imported from a database with the file extension .edb or.csv, or you can generate and export a class database from within ActivInspire.
Click on Edit Student Database. The 'Edit Student Database' Dialog Box opens
Add a class to box a: o Click on Add Class. The 'Add Class' Dialog Box opens o Enter Class Name and Teacher Name; Notes are optional o Click on Submit
Add students to box b: o Click on Add Student. The 'Student' Dialog Box opens o Enter Name, Forename, and Student ID o Click on Submit.
Back in the 'Edit Student Database' Dialog Box: o Highlight the class. o Highlight the student names you want to assign to voting devices. o Click arrows to add or remove students to or from box c. o Click on OK. The 'Edit Student Database' Dialog Box closes, and ActivInspire
returns to the 'Assign students to devices' Dialog Box. o Students displayed in this box can be assigned. If the number of students is
greater than the number of registered devices, a warning is displayed.
If you want to register more devices before assigning students to devices, select Top-up Registration. The 'Device Registration' Dialog Box opens.
In the 'Assign students to devices' Dialog Box: o Select Assign Devices - Device PIN numbers appear in the dialog box. On
ActivExpression devices, a prompt is also displayed on the screen. o Each student has to enter the correct PIN numbers: o Press option button o The 'Assign students to devices' Dialog Box shows devices assigned highlighted
in green. Now, when you select Named Voting, the Voting Browser displays student names.
13 Tulsa Public Schools: Promethean – Module 6