GO BACK TO YOUR OWN COUNTRYBY: JAMES & SIOELI
“I live in Australia”.
My Cultural Background is from the island Tonga, located in the South Pacific Ocean. Before living in Tonga, my parents moved to Sydney, Australia in the mid 1980’s to create a better future for the next generations.
My Tongan culture consists of many traditions from weddings, to funerals. All events have procedures in order to complete it. For example each event begins with a prayer in order to start the program, and to end it, is for a prayer. Most events such as weddings and Funerals etc. Consists of very large sums of food, and my culture is known for their big feasts.
TRADITIONAL STYLES • Throughout Tonga, schools have strict rules about
uniform during school days.
• The uniform includes;
- the formal yet social type of dresses befitted their school colors
- for the girls hairstyles, it is compulsory to have a hairstyle other than braids.
- The boys hair cut is to be maintained and to be kept short at all times.
- The school shoes are either sandals or closed shoes if they couldn’t afford it, they were allowed to go to school without shoes. (as shown in the picture to the left)
• The music in my culture consist of happy tunes and melody's , some of the musical instruments used in some of the songs are, guitars, ukulele, drums, bass, and basic harmonizing.
• Tongan music in modern days are either remixed but sounds are similar to the music produced by original songs