1. Trends and insights from nearly 4,000 marketing leaders worldwide State of Marketing 2016
2. Vala Afshar Chief Digital Evangelist, Salesforce Author, Huffington Post blogger, co-host of DisrupTV, and previously CMO Extreme Networks and CMO/CCO Enterasys Networks Twitter: @ValaAfshar
3. What we were looking for: Overall trends changing the role of marketing How high performers approach the customer journey and experience Key insights on primary digital marketing channels Nearly 4,000 Marketing Leaders Surveyed Worldwide Exclusive to marketers holding leadership roles 1706 353 1190 726
4. About the Respondents Self-identified according to performance level Respondents identified as High Performers Extremely satisfied with the current outcomes of their companys marketing investment Moderate Performers Very or moderately satisfied with the current outcomes of their companys marketing investment Underperformers Slightly or not at all satisfied with the current outcomes of their companys marketing investment 18% 68% 14%
5. 24% 33% Customer Satisfaction Revenue Growth Customer Acquisition Customer Experience is the Holy Grail Customer satisfaction is the number one success metric for marketers Marketing is about building and sustaining customer relationships. 35%
6. Executive Team Commitment Unconditional buy-in from company leaders Marketing-Prioritized Budgets Walk the talk with marketing investments Marketing Agility Optimize marketing activities as customer preferences change The Makings of a High-Performing Marketing Team Three traits of successful marketing organizations
7. Ideas are commodity. Execution is art. High performing marketing teams are 2.6x more likely to have complete executive team commitment to overall marketing strategy.
8. Marketing Agility Optimize marketing activities as customer preferences change 3% 18% 67% Underperformers Moderate Performers High Performers Of marketers who rate their marketing agility as excellent High performers are 24.4x more likely than underperformers to rate their marketing agility as excellent
9. 1 Adopt a customer journey strategy 2 Lead the customer experience across your business 3 Digital Marketing ROI is on the Rise 4 Align Digital channels with your overall strategy 5 Go mobile: be a cross-channel as your customers 6 CRM is Powering More Effective Advertising 6 key takeaways Customer Experience is the Future of Marketing
10. Prioritize the Customer Journey or Risk Falling Behind K E Y TA K E AWAY 01 |
11. Why a Customer Journey?
12. Product Marketing App Online Events Sales Retail Care Customers Expect Unified and Relevant Experiences The sum of those experiences is the customer journey
13. 65% 67% 70% 70% 73% Customer churn rates Customer satisfaction scores Revenue growth Customers' willingness to recommend products/services Customer engagement Marketers who strongly agree or agree that a customer journey strategy has positively impacted: High-Performing Marketers Adopt a Customer Journey Strategy 88% say a customer journey is critical to their marketing success
14. High-Performance Marketing Teams Lead CX Across the Business K E Y TA K E AWAY 02 |
15. High-Performing Marketers Lead the Customer Experience Nearly 8x more likely to lead customer experience and digital transformation 8% 8% 21% 23% 58% 63% Leading customer experience across their business Implementing digital transformation company-wide Marketing leaders who strongly agree that theyre High Performers Moderate Performers Underperformers
16. Top Marketers Lean on CRM Tools Alignment of Sales, Marketing and Customer Service Key to Success
17. Top Marketing Teams Create a Single View of the Customer Marketing, Sales, Services and R&D Lean-Into CRM
18. Collaboration is Key to the Customer Experience High-performing marketing teams are excellent collaborators
19. Digital Marketing ROI is on the Rise K E Y TA K E AWAY 03 |
20. Everything is Awesome!
21. 54% 79% Generates ROI Marketing leaders who agree that email 2015 2016 More Marketers Agree Email Generates ROI 79% now agreeup nearly 50% from 2015
22. 150 million emails sent 20 million WhatsApp messages 2.78 million YouTube views 2.4 million Google searches 701K Facebook logins 527K Snapchat photos 347K Twitter posts Email dominates Internet traffics
23. High Performers Take Sophisticated Approaches to Email Send the same email with unique content based on audience segment 48% Trigger personalized emails in real time based on events 32% Personalize emails with subscriber fields 63% Leverage predictive intelligence/data science to create personalized emails 40%
24. Social Leaps Ahead as an ROI Creator 82% of marketers agree that social media marketing is core to their business. 28% 75% Generates ROI Marketing leaders who agree that social 2015 2016
25. Educate. Inspire. Ignite. 80% of high performing teams publish content at least 2-3 times per week (versus 16% for underperformers) High performing marketing teams are 3.4x more likely to say content marketing generates significant ROI. High performing marketing teams are 8.6x more likely to use social listening tools.
26. Mobile ROI Soars in 2016 77% of marketing leaders seeing direct ROI on mobileup 147% from 2015 31% 77% Generates ROI Marketing leaders who agree that mobile 2015 2016
27. Multichannel Digital Marketing Determines Success K E Y TA K E AWAY 04 |
28. High-Performing Marketing Teams See Cross-Channel Success Of those whove integrated their digital channels, 95% rate it effective or very effective 63% 64% 60% 28% 29% 25% 20% 19% Integrated social media activity into overall marketing strategy Integrated email marketing activity with overall marketing strategy Integrated mobile marketing activity into overall marketing strategy Marketing leaders who strongly agree theyre Underperformers Moderate Performers High Performers 12%
29. High-Performing Marketers Align Across Channels 81% of high-performing marketing teams align their mobile campaigns to email campaigns compared to 46% of underperforming marketers 82% of high-performing marketing teams consider advertising on social platforms to be part of their mobile marketing efforts.
30. Mobile marketing on the rise K E Y TA K E AWAY 05 |
31. Mobile Marketing Hits Triple-Digit Growth 79% of marketing leaders agree that mobile marketing is core to their business.
32. Mobile Marketing On the Rise in 2016 Marketers embracing mobile as both a marketing channel and platform 61% 56% 52% 50% 74% 70% 67% 64% Mobile Applications Mobile Text Messaging (SMS) Mobile Push Notifications Location-Based Mobile Tracking Marketing leaders who currently use or plan to use in the next 12 months 2015 2016
33. CRM Powering More Effective Advertising K E Y TA K E AWAY 06 |
34. Scaling the customer journey
35. 60% 21% 4% Top Marketers Create a Single View of the Customer 13.7x more likely to integrate systems supporting single view Marketers who agree theyve integrated business systems to create a single view of the customer High Performers Moderate Performers Underperformers
36. More Marketers Advertise on Social than Other Digital Outlets At least 2/3 of marketers agree these digital ad strategies are very effective 54% 54% 62% 65% 18% 21% 17% 17% Native advertising Video advertising Display/banner ads Advertising on social Marketing leaders who currently use or plan to use Currently use Plan to use in the next 12 months Rate as Very Effective 71% 66% 72% 66%
37. Data-Driven Advertising Takes Center Stage Marketers zero in on ad targeting and personalization 83% marketing leaders use customer data to target or segment advertising
38. Keys to Becoming a High-Performing Marketer Our recommendations Adopt a customer journey strategy 01 | Align digital channels with your overall strategy 03 |Lead the customer experience across your business 02 | Go Mobile: Be as cross-channel as your customers 04 | Target ads with customer data 05 |
39. salesforce.com/stateofmarketing 2016 State of Marketing