3. Based on TEDx talk Your body language shapes who you are AMY CUDDYs
4. SOCIAL SCIENTIST CALL BODY LANGUAGE NON-VERBALS
5. We make sweeping judgments based on other peoples BODY LANGUAGE
6. body language Can predict really meaningful life outcomes
7. WHO WE ASK OUT ON A DATE?
8. But we are also influenced by our non-verbals.
9. Which one are you?
10. AMY CUDDY studied Power Dynamics RESULT
11. Expression of power in animal kingdom expanding
12. In humans
13. But when we feel powerless we tend to make ourselves smaller
14. We compliment others non-verbals. We dont mirror them, we do the opposite.
15. Amy Cuddy observed her MBA students and noticed that they exhibit the full range of power dynamics. There are some who come in, stand in the middle and occupy space whereas there are some who virtually collapse when they come in and make them selves tiny. She also noticed that this is related to gender. Women feel chronically less powerful than men.
16. Our non-verbals govern how we think and feel about OURSELVES
17. Can we FAKE IT Until weMAKE IT ? Now she wanted to know
18. She studied the level of TESTOSTERONE AND CORTISOL
19. EXPERIMENT time
20. People were called in and asked either to take high power poses or low power poses for two minutes and then were asked to gamble. After this, there saliva samples were taken.
21. RISK TOLERANCE HIGH POWER LOW POWER
22. Testosterone change HIGH POWER LOW POWER INCREASE DECREASE
23. Cortisol Change HIGH POWER LOW POWER DECREASE INCREASE
24. Therefore our bodies change our minds
25. Can power posing for a few minutes really change our life in meaningful ways ?
26. YES! before any socially evaluative situation Do a higher power pose in private before going for it, only for 2 minutes, and you will feel powerful and confident.